Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mailbox.jpg
Six weeks after launching, Mailbox today announced that it had fulfilled one million reservations for its popular mail management app.

Before the app went live, Orchestra, the company behind Mailbox, implemented a reservation system in order to deal with demand. Though highly criticized, Mailbox experienced only a few significant outages during the weeks after the app launched.

Last Friday, Dropbox revealed that it had purchased Mailbox for a reported $50 to $100 million and as a result, reservations were able to be fulfilled faster thanks to Dropbox's established infrastructure.

Mailbox also launched its first major update today, adding a new shake to undo feature that will return the last deleted or archived message back to the inbox. The update also includes user interface enhancements, bug fixes, and performance optimizations.

undo.png
What's New in Version 1.1.0
- Shake to undo!
- UI enhancements
- Bug fixes and performance optimizations
Though fulfillment times have improved, the wait list for Mailbox still sits at over 450,000 users. Mailbox is a free app for the iPhone that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mailbox Fills One Million Reservations, Updates App with New Shake to Undo Feature

TheJae

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2008
HKG
Slightly overrated app.

It wants to archive my entire inbox. That's not how I work. You can't go and change people's workflow.

jacobss

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Netherlands
Slightly overrated app.

It wants to archive my entire inbox. That's not how I work. You can't go and change people's workflow.

Same here, that's what I didn't like about this app and it seems to be what the app is about anyway, to clean your inbox.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
forget this app. lol. a "waiting line"? Seriously. I deleted it ages ago.

They did this because they wanted the service to be reliable. Even doing this they encountered errors.

Some people have no patience.

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Slightly overrated app.

I actually liked that a lot, cleaned up a bunch of stuff. Yea, it was a little bit of a shock, as I use labels for certain things, but I never actually used the all mail label. Once I jumped on in, it's been great. I love being able to have messages that come in to show up later in the day when I have time to deal with them.

I hate having an unread count, and Mailbox helps me deal with that nicely.

ricoism

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
try sparrow ... delete it
try mailbox... waiting... it's awesome app!

(since i use my gmail for junk newsletter spam mail)

bostonsox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
I used it for a few days. One day, this suddenly went berserk and I started getting tons of notifications. I had to delete the app, and switch off my phone to stop it.
Seeing this update, I decided to give another try and downloaded it again. It says 456K users ahead of me even though I have used it in the past. Thanks but no thanks!

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
isn't the waitlist still over 500k? I mean if I wanted to wait in line I'd go to disney world for splash mountain, cheap thrill vs app..easy decision.

leftynaut

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Even if you don't like the approach Mailbox "forces" on your inbox ("inbox zero"), you can still use it as a regular e-mail client that works better than Gmail & Mail in my opinion. I set the notification bubble to only show me '1' for unread mail, and now I just have a powerful email app that has Push and a great GUI. This app is slick, no matter how you choose to use it.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
But uh...

Slightly overrated app.

But that's exactly what the app advertised it would do: improve the way you manage email.

----------

isn't the waitlist still over 500k? I mean if I wanted to wait in line I'd go to disney world for splash mountain, cheap thrill vs app..easy decision.

You know you don't have wait in a line, right? You're put in a digital queue, and then it notifies you when you're up.

Life goes on, ya know?

carr13221

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Not worth the wait

Much like Tempo, this was a waste of time and over-hyped. I agree that it just wanted to archive my entire inbox, if I wanted to do that I could do it with one click...

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Could someone who has been using the app talk about how the push functionality works? Is it truly push from their servers? Or is it frequent fetch? Ever since Google did away with Microsoft ActiveSync, I've been looking for a solution for a push email service to my phone and it is ridiculously complicated...I want Gmail because I like the web interface/search, but push email to my phone is a very important feature, and the Gmail app sucks....so I'm SOL right now.

The way I have it right now is Gmail app notifies me instantly when I get an email, then I manually open the Mail app to download the new message and respond in Mail (I love the native mail app). This is quite circuitous.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Definitely agree about archiving my inbox, hopefully they give us some more options in the future.

a button to select all and show as read with one push would be great!

DigitL

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
Love all the complaints about a FREE app. People are always waiting their turn to kick the gift horse in the mouth before the gift has even been given. LOL I think it's a great app.

attila

macrumors 6502a
Slightly overrated app.

That's the whole point of this app!

I found it great! I actually bother to read emails now!

One view for unread items, or items you have read but want to keep in focus, one for everything else, one more swipe to delete (so easy to delete emails).

Now I don't have to mark emails as unread which lead to my past cluttered inbox.

Mailbox doesn't have to archive ALL your messages. Initially it asks you, and I chose "move all but unread emails".

If you already gone and done it, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and tap the button "Help me get to zero" with the same options.

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Slightly overrated app.

I like the idea of having apps suited to one particular workflow. That just means that the app will be really well tuned for the people who are in the target audience (i.e. people who do get on with that workflow).

I don't use Mailbox because it's Gmail-only, but if it wasn't then I would. I like the idea of an app that forces me to sort out my **** and get it out of the inbox — I don't do a good job of keeping my inbox clear normally, so an app that tries to force me to do so is probably a good thing. It might not be a good thing for everyone, but it would be for me. If the app gave me the choice rather than imposing that workflow, it would be less good for me because I am lazy and cannot be trusted —*I wouldn't get round to sorting my inbox out, and things would pile up again.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

just wait in line even if you don't plan on using it. You won't be at a loss and if you ever want to use it then you can instantly :p. I saw that there is a waiting list and just got bought by dropbox so it must be something good. I doubt I will use it but never know so I am in the line just incase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.