Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:28 PM   #1
LeicaMan111
macrumors member

iMac 27 Inch - Checklist?

Hi,

I got my new iMac 27 Inch. What known problems do I need to look for before my 2 weeks are up in case it needs to be returned?

For example I have heard that there are display issues involving shadowing and what not? How do I look for these?

Are there any other things I need to check for to make sure that I don't have a lemon?

Many thanks in advance.
LeicaMan111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:58 PM   #2
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

Just thought I'd chime in before the usuals come here and scare you to death. No jokes, but the first thing that should be on your checklist is; "Don't look for anything wrong".

You may not take my post seriously, you might feel the need to ignore it but the "usuals" that reply to your thread will give you a handful for sure and it will just drive you mad everyday you look at your iMac. I'm just trying to prevent you from doing unnecessary returns just because others are pointing out things that they see that you may not.

If you do have problems, by all means take it back to Apple but you should discover issues on your own. Somebody's problem may not be somebody else's. Don't open this can of worms for your own good.
HenryDJP is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:07 PM   #3
AllergyDoc
macrumors 6502

Try to remember that for every one person who complained of a problem there are 50 others who have had no problems. It's a beautiful machine, enjoy it.
AllergyDoc is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:50 PM   #4
LeicaMan111
macrumors member

Thanks for the reassuring posts.

Of course I have found nothing wrong with the machine. It is a beauty!

Nice to hear that all these "problems" are just hyped up.

One thing I am curious about though. Say a few months down the road, the machine dies. How do I send it to Apple for warranty service? Will they collect and pay for shipping both ways? Or do I have to pay shipping for the huge beast myself?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:54 PM   #5
AllergyDoc
macrumors 6502

I suppose that depends on where you live. I have an Apple Store 45 minutes for my own. If I needed a repair, I would just take it to the Apple Store. But, chances are you won't need to know where the one closest to you is.
AllergyDoc is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:11 AM   #6
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaMan111 View Post
Thanks for the reassuring posts.

Of course I have found nothing wrong with the machine. It is a beauty!

Nice to hear that all these "problems" are just hyped up.

One thing I am curious about though. Say a few months down the road, the machine dies. How do I send it to Apple for warranty service? Will they collect and pay for shipping both ways? Or do I have to pay shipping for the huge beast myself?

Thanks again.
Well here in the USA I do know for a fact that they will pay for shipping back and forth for service.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:55 AM   #7
MacFro
macrumors member

I second the "don't look for anything wrong" advice.

Just test all the different tasks you will use it for. Web, photoshop, play games, video editing/conversion or whatever you will be doing in front of your new machine. If it works great, it works great
MacFro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:06 AM   #8
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaMan111 View Post
Hi,

I got my new iMac 27 Inch. What known problems do I need to look for before my 2 weeks are up in case it needs to be returned?

For example I have heard that there are display issues involving shadowing and what not? How do I look for these?

Are there any other things I need to check for to make sure that I don't have a lemon?

Many thanks in advance.
1. Examine the outside of the iMac and look for scuffs, scratches.
2. Test for image retention and dead pixels, but don't drive yourself nuts over this. I had image retention 2 times on my iMac, and then never again. I think it was a power supply issue from my APC. I think i have 1 dead pixel, who cares... I tested for light bleed, but thats a bit over the top for me.

I love my iMac, hope you love yours
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:55 AM   #9
LeicaMan111
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamacthing View Post
1. Examine the outside of the iMac and look for scuffs, scratches.
2. Test for image retention and dead pixels, but don't drive yourself nuts over this. I had image retention 2 times on my iMac, and then never again. I think it was a power supply issue from my APC. I think i have 1 dead pixel, who cares... I tested for light bleed, but thats a bit over the top for me.

I love my iMac, hope you love yours
What is image retention? How do I test for it? And what is light bleed

I checked for dead pixels and there are none.

Thanks and yes I am loving the iMac I wish it had a retina display though! Kinda spoilt by my MacBook Pro's Retina display...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac