Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Looking for some help trying to trouble shoot my mothers imac over the phone.

Her internet connection wasn't working, which I believe was caused by the router not being reset properly when she got her new iMac). Trust me when I tell you that it would have been way to hard to get her to go into the web based admin page for the router so I had her disconnect and plug the cable ethernet directly into the Mac. She did and the internet came back on but her email wouldn't work.

I tried a few basic things then had her contact her local isp. She spent hours on the phone with them to no avail. I tried again and discovered that they had, in attempting to correct the issue, set up an imap based account instead of a pop account.

Under accounts in the mail app I was able to get it to accept the incoming server to be a pop server (even though the account was labelled an imap account) but couldn't get the changes to stick (under the advance tab) for the outcoming server.

So currently, after several days she can recieve emails again but can't send them.

I'm pretty sure I could solve the problem if I could get the account to be configured properly as a pop acct, which it had always previously been, but when I try to delete and add a new account the assistant always creates an imap account.

How can I get it to give me a choice of creating a pop account instead.

thank-you in advance for any help.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
IMAP or POP makes absolutely no difference for sending mail. Both ways use SMTP for outgoing mail. You probably have an incorrect configuration for this.

KevinGrabher

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
check servername, wether ssl should be on or off, and the port number (port number is the issue in most cases on my customers)

best check a working account, google it or ask the provider

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.