Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Hope for official Blu-Ray option in new Mac Pro?

I was thinking, considering the tiny demographic that purchases Mac Pros, if Apple has a Blu-Ray BTO option for the new Mac Pro, it wouldn't really cut into their iTunes movie sales/rentals at all. They wouldn't hype it at all, or even announce it as a major feature. It would just be there for those professional who use Blu-Ray in the process of video production. Apple might not even create a software to play movies on Blu-Ray.. just to have it there as an option in their pro machine since there are some pros who need it.

Even though I'd still have to use the Macgo software to play movies, it would be nice to have my new machine shipped from Apple with a Blu-Ray drive in it.
StephenCampbell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:45 PM   #2
mrkramer
macrumors 601
 
mrkramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere
It's not going to happen, Apple doesn't particularly like blu-ray, and if you need to you can get an aftermarket drive which will take care of the few people that actually need one.
__________________
"Jesus was the first socialist, the first to seek a better life for mankind." -Mikhail Gorbachev
mrkramer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:55 PM   #3
James Craner
macrumors 68000
 
James Craner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bristol, UK
You will be lucky if the new Mac Pro has an optical drive at all, as Apple has been removing internal optical drives from its Macs for a while now. Only the cMBP and the Mac Pro have them built in. You have zero chance of getting a Blu Ray Drive, Apple has moved on from physical media, even if some of its users haven't yet.
__________________
Productivity Orchard Be more productive with your Mac
James Craner is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Mac Hammer Fan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Belgium
No DVD or Blu-ray drive?
This is completely unacceptable.
I hope that Apple read this!
__________________
MacPro Hex 3,33 GHz Westmere OWC Accelsior SSD 16 GB ATI 5870 Macbook Duo 2,2 GHz PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2,3 Ghz Emac 1,42 GHz IPad 16 GB iPhone 4S
Mac Hammer Fan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:49 PM   #5
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Even if it is a BTO why would you pay Apple for one? It would be like a $250 option when you can buy a good drive for $50.
__________________
Mac Pro | Mac mini | 15" MacBook Pro | iPad Air | iPhone 6
alphaod is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Macsonic
macrumors 65816
 
Macsonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Macsonic
I am thinking most likely Apple does not support Blu Ray otherwise they would have included this in previous models. Maybe from a business viewpoint Apple has always based it's direction on the bottom line- profits and sales. Fortunately, Toast Titanium supports single and double layer blu rays.
Macsonic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:26 PM   #7
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
These are trivially easy to install. There shouldn't be anything stopping you from having one right now.
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:45 PM   #8
violst
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
No current apple computers have an optical drive anymore. macbook air, retina macbook pro, mac mimi and the new iMac all do not have optical drives and that is the likely hood for the new Mac Pro.

Plus rumors are that apple wants to make the new Mac Pro rack mountable so it can truly double as a server, and that would make the new Pro to thin for an internal optical drive.

All signs point to no optical drive, so no Blu-Ray.
__________________
2013 nMP 8-core 3.0, 64GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 6TB Raid, 8TB NAS backup, D500's
2012 15" cMBP core i7 2.7, 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GT 650M 1GB
violst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Highly doubt they would ever offer blu ray.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Kimbie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by violst View Post
No current apple computers have an optical drive anymore. macbook air, retina macbook pro, mac mimi and the new iMac all do not have optical drives and that is the likely hood for the new Mac Pro.

Plus rumors are that apple wants to make the new Mac Pro rack mountable so it can truly double as a server, and that would make the new Pro to thin for an internal optical drive.

All signs point to no optical drive, so no Blu-Ray.
Rubbish, even a 1U server can fit an optical drive into it
Kimbie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Irishman
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCampbell View Post
I was thinking, considering the tiny demographic that purchases Mac Pros, if Apple has a Blu-Ray BTO option for the new Mac Pro, it wouldn't really cut into their iTunes movie sales/rentals at all. They wouldn't hype it at all, or even announce it as a major feature. It would just be there for those professional who use Blu-Ray in the process of video production. Apple might not even create a software to play movies on Blu-Ray.. just to have it there as an option in their pro machine since there are some pros who need it.

Even though I'd still have to use the Macgo software to play movies, it would be nice to have my new machine shipped from Apple with a Blu-Ray drive in it.
Although the lack of a blu-ray player built into a Mac is disappointing to us videophiles-audiophiles, the biggest stumbling block to having the flexibility of playing blu-ray movies on our Macs is the fact that Blu-ray support is not built into OSX at all.

This is why you can't plug in an external Blu-ray drive into your Mac and have the Mac recognize the movie.
Irishman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:20 PM   #12
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
the biggest stumbling block to having the flexibility of playing blu-ray movies on our Macs is the fact that Blu-ray support is not built into OSX at all.

This is why you can't plug in an external Blu-ray drive into your Mac and have the Mac recognize the movie.
Third party applications can decrypt and play the movies just fine. This is no different than Windows really.
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Irishman
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
Third party applications can decrypt and play the movies just fine. This is no different than Windows really.
Yep. VLC can, I believe.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:34 PM   #14
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
If you want a Blu-Ray drive, just buy one. Just about every model sold works fine with a Mac and you can get one for <$100.


I'm ripping Blu-Ray movies to MKV files on my Mac Mini right now.
__________________
2011 Mac Mini Server, 16 GB RAM, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD, 500GB HDD + 3TB NAS
Haswell rMBP 13" - i7/512GB
Mac Mini 1.83GHz Core2Duo, 3GB RAM, 60GB SSD
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:37 PM   #15
d-m-a-x
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsonic View Post
I am thinking most likely Apple does not support Blu Ray otherwise they would have included this in previous models. Maybe from a business viewpoint Apple has always based it's direction on the bottom line- profits and sales. Fortunately, Toast Titanium supports single and double layer blu rays.
Yeah - confused look, hands in the air, scratches head..... Apple computers cost twice as much as the competitors computers for the same, if not outdated hardware. On top of that, they don't want to pay licensing fees for optical drives? what are we paying the premium price for? The logo, an OS, and a shiny metal case?
d-m-a-x is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:20 PM   #16
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816
 
RoastingPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
yeh the bto will be way to much you can get a good one fore sub 100
__________________
Retina 13 256gb/8gb 5000.
RoastingPig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:21 PM   #17
violst
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbie View Post
Rubbish, even a 1U server can fit an optical drive into it
If apple is going to take the time to reduce the size of the Mac Pro so it is 3U rack mountable they are not going to waster there time and space inside the box to try and fit in an optical drive that they perceive as outdated technology its just common sense Kimbie.
__________________
2013 nMP 8-core 3.0, 64GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 6TB Raid, 8TB NAS backup, D500's
2012 15" cMBP core i7 2.7, 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GT 650M 1GB
violst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:35 PM   #18
Macsonic
macrumors 65816
 
Macsonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Macsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
If you want a Blu-Ray drive, just buy one. Just about every model sold works fine with a Mac and you can get one for <$100.


I'm ripping Blu-Ray movies to MKV files on my Mac Mini right now.
Aside from using MKV files myself, I also use Toast Titanium to create disc images of double layer blu ray movies and watching them from my HD.
Macsonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:00 AM   #19
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
Highly doubt they would ever offer blu ray.
Not with iTunes in the background, yes.
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:16 PM   #20
deconstruct60
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCampbell View Post
I was thinking, considering the tiny demographic that purchases Mac Pros, if Apple has a Blu-Ray BTO option for the new Mac Pro, .... . Apple might not even create a software to play movies on Blu-Ray.. just to have it there as an option in their pro machine since there are some pros who need it.
If Apple weaved Blu-Ray playback abilities into OS X they'd likely have to pay per OS X unit shipped or support it. There is no way they are going to fork some special support all the way up through the graphics layers just for the Mac Pro. That's silly.

As data disks Blu-Ray burners/players have been supported by OS X for several updates. ( 10.6? ). What is missing is "movie playback". Not sure why a "pro" needs that inside their workstation. The *only* blu-player they own is inside a computer. Not buying that as being a major sized demographic inside the professional community.

There is Apple software for making and burning Blu-ray disks. External drives are available for the very limited subset of Mac Pro users that need them.

As another poster pointed out, all the 5.25" bays may disappear from the Mac Pro. At least one being reused for something else is extremely likely ( a large fraction of the users here on these forums use the second bay for everything but an ODD. turning it into 2.5" or 3.5" bays would just be catching up to what users have been doing for years now. ) If they leave just one bay there likely be blu-ray replacement drives that will fit with whatever adjustments for the facade are needed.
deconstruct60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:34 AM   #21
Tesselator
macrumors 601
 
Tesselator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
I think this is all just a bunch of unnecessary worry-worting.

From 2011:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnet July 6, 2011
Despite the controversies and frustrations with Apple's support of Blu-ray, native playback is finally here. Recently, developer Macgo released a new media player aptly named Mac Blu Ray Player, which is the first to bring full Blu-ray playback support to OS X. All you need to get Blu-ray up and running is the following:
  • A Blu-ray drive, which can either be internal (likely easier and cheaper for Mac Pro systems), or external. These can be purchased at places like Other World Computing or NewEgg
  • Mac Blu Ray Player software, which can be downloaded from the Macgo Web site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgo July 26, 2012
Never mind. Macgo Inc. has provide a best solution, which is called Mac Blu-ray Player software.
Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player is the first Blu-ray player support both Mac and Windows based operating systems. As the leading app in this field, it features multi-functions and advanced technology, including multi-language, all media formats supported, especially Blu-ray Disc, SNS sharing, super high audiovisual quality. It can also play Blu-ray movies on iPhone, iPad and iTouch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux Journal Jan 27, 2013
Blu-ray Player Mac OS X Mountain Lion can support all media formats of movie, video, audio, music and photo. It is multilanguage supported and easy handled with user-friendly interface. After adding DTS5.1 into it, Mac Blu-ray Player can bring your Mac to the most popular Blu-ray HD video enjoyment. The strong compatibility of Mac Mountain Lion Blu-ray Player supports Mountain Lion 10.8, 10.7, 10.6, 10.5.
So the whole thread seems rather silly to me. <shrug>
Tesselator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:14 AM   #22
JavaTheHut
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Blu-ray works great in the mac pros - try it you'll like it.
JavaTheHut is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:14 AM   #23
fastlanephil
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
My advice is don't buy movies on disks. Rent.

You'll eventually end up with garage sale junk.

Downloaded media can be possibly upgraded to newer standards but it's not a given.
fastlanephil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:25 AM   #24
James Craner
macrumors 68000
 
James Craner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanephil View Post
My advice is don't buy movies on disks. Rent.

You'll eventually end up with garage sale junk.

Downloaded media can be possibly upgraded to newer standards but it's not a given.
Absolutely true - I have about 100 VHS tapes of Movies sitting in the garage waiting to go to the rubbish tip. In a few years time DVD will be the same. I don't have any Blu Ray disks for that reason. I stopped buying Audio CD's around 4 years ago and most of my CD's are now gathering dust in the loft. Physical media is on its way out.
__________________
Productivity Orchard Be more productive with your Mac
James Craner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:43 PM   #25
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Craner View Post
Absolutely true - I have about 100 VHS tapes of Movies sitting in the garage waiting to go to the rubbish tip. In a few years time DVD will be the same. I don't have any Blu Ray disks for that reason. I stopped buying Audio CD's around 4 years ago and most of my CD's are now gathering dust in the loft. Physical media is on its way out.
For you it's out..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstruct60 View Post
If Apple weaved Blu-Ray playback abilities into OS X they'd likely have to pay per OS X unit shipped or support it. There is no way they are going to fork some special support all the way up through the graphics layers just for the Mac Pro. That's silly.

As data disks Blu-Ray burners/players have been supported by OS X for several updates. ( 10.6? ). What is missing is "movie playback". Not sure why a "pro" needs that inside their workstation. The *only* blu-player they own is inside a computer. Not buying that as being a major sized demographic inside the professional community.

There is Apple software for making and burning Blu-ray disks. External drives are available for the very limited subset of Mac Pro users that need them.

As another poster pointed out, all the 5.25" bays may disappear from the Mac Pro. At least one being reused for something else is extremely likely ( a large fraction of the users here on these forums use the second bay for everything but an ODD. turning it into 2.5" or 3.5" bays would just be catching up to what users have been doing for years now. ) If they leave just one bay there likely be blu-ray replacement drives that will fit with whatever adjustments for the facade are needed.
10.5

I had BluRay in my Quad

================

On a side note why the war against optical media? a BluRay is 50GB of data I know 32GB and 64GB thumb drives are common place now but there is no real reason to eliminate it from a tower.
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice on best option for Blu-Ray authoring treehorn Digital Video 6 Nov 30, 2012 07:17 PM
Blu Ray XL for Mac Pro Chastepe Mac Pro 1 Sep 25, 2012 09:46 PM
Blu-ray burner for Mac Pro? kublaiboy Mac Pro 10 Sep 1, 2012 10:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC