Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:30 PM   #1
TijmenDal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Need a virus scanner for Mac (I've dreaded this day...)

So,

I'm not much of a gamer, but today my account got hacked (somehow...). Not a huge deal, but I'd rather had it didn't happen. The thing I dislike more about the hacking, is that I feel my other accounts/files might be in jeopardy as well. I mean, a game is a game and just that. No connection to the real world.
I was wondering how I can find out if there's indeed a virus or something on my Mac and how I can get rid of it.
I've never had ANY similar problems nor do I download suspicious stuff or anything.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks.
TijmenDal is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TijmenDal View Post
I'm not much of a gamer, but today my account got hacked (somehow...).
Having your account hacked likely has nothing to do with your computer. Email and other online accounts are hacked regardless of what computer you have, what OS you run, or even if you don't own a computer. Change your passwords to something long and complex, including special characters, numbers and upper and lower case letters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TijmenDal View Post
I was wondering how I can find out if there's indeed a virus or something on my Mac and how I can get rid of it.
Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
GGJstudios is offline   1
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Someone guessed/hacked your password and accessed your account that way, you don't have a virus.

You should really be focusing on changing to more secure passwords. Something like 1password is an excellent app to generate and store unique and secure passwords for every service you use
Kissaragi is offline   1
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TijmenDal View Post

I'm not much of a gamer, but today my account got hacked
How do you know that?
Gregg2 is offline   0
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:49 PM   #5
TijmenDal
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Thanks for the reasuring words everyone. Hopefully you're all right (I don't doubt it )
I've changed my passwords. I really should start changing them every now and then...
TijmenDal is offline   0
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:15 PM   #6
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Run Magician as it checks for all known malware, and you will be fine

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40534/magican

Last edited by 2012Tony2012; Mar 23, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
2012Tony2012 is offline   1
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:39 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Run Magician as it checks for all known malware, and you will be fine
I would not recommend this app, or any such app being sold by some guy out of his apartment. You don't need such apps for malware protection, and you don't need such apps for "maintenance". It's a useless app at best and potentially problematic. It's not worth risking your Mac.
GGJstudios is offline   1
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:46 PM   #8
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I would not recommend this app, or any such app being sold by some guy out of his apartment.
But
Quote:
We are always innovatings!
is what it says on the top of the website. It must be true.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Run Magician as it checks for all known malware, and you will be fine

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40534/magican
Good one! (I noticed the emoticon.)
Gregg2 is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:29 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Good one! (I noticed the emoticon.)
I noticed it, too, as well as the other thread where he recommended the same app (without an emoticon).
GGJstudios is offline   2
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:19 PM   #11
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I would not recommend this app, or any such app being sold by some guy out of his apartment. You don't need such apps for malware protection, and you don't need such apps for "maintenance". It's a useless app at best and potentially problematic. It's not worth risking your Mac.
What apartment? What evidence do you have to backup it being risky?

What can Magician do to compromise security?

I have Apps such as Ccleaner, iBoostup, Iceclean and Magician installed, and ClamX says my system is CLEAN! So are you saying ClamX guys are all wrong and ignorant and you are right? And why hasn't Apple released an security update to alarm us against Apps such as Magician if its as bad as you claim?

You seem like an Alarmist and Conspiracist, with no hard evidence to back it up, just words.

So are you saying it's too risky to have ccleaner installed too?

And what about Onyx, do you tell people that is risky too and should be removed?

Last edited by 2012Tony2012; Mar 26, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
2012Tony2012 is offline   0
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:33 PM   #12
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
What apartment? What evidence do you have to backup it being risky?

What can Magician do to compromise security?

I have Apps such as Ccleaner, iBoostup, Iceclean and Magician installed, and ClamX says my system is CLEAN! So are you saying ClamX guys are all wrong and ignorant and you are right? And why hasn't Apple released an security update to alarm us against Apps such as Magician if its as bad as you claim?

You seem like an Alarmist and Conspiracist, with no hard evidence to back it up, just words.

So are you saying it's too risky to have ccleaner installed too?

And what about Onyx, do you tell people that is risky too and should be removed?
You should get a PC. Then you can defrag your hard drive all day, check for viruses as much as you like, clean up your computer whenever you feel the urge. If that's what makes you happy.
gnasher729 is offline   3
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:48 PM   #13
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
You should get a PC. Then you can defrag your hard drive all day, check for viruses as much as you like, clean up your computer whenever you feel the urge. If that's what makes you happy.
Your whole post is misleading, contains lies and false acusations and is completely based on errenous assumptions!

Firstly I never defrag the Mac, as that's not needed. You are going of topic because you obviously have a lack of acceptance for those who do things differerently to you.

Secondly, I do not check for virus, and if you read all my posts on this forum you will know I never recommend someone doing that all day long.

However, there are malware and virus on the Mac, not in today's "wild", yet they do exist and someone should check their Mac at least once, and then be careful what Apps they install.

gnasher72, I strongly recommend you retract your false accusations, which seem based on human emotionalism rather than on logic, reason or fact.

Last edited by 2012Tony2012; Mar 26, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
2012Tony2012 is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:36 AM   #14
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Thank you GGJstudios, I trust your information, and have removed Magician from my Mac. DO you recommend a complete reinstall, or removing it will be ok? I removed Iceclean and iBoostup as well and only have Onyx left.
2012Tony2012 is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:37 AM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Thank you GGJstudios, I trust your information, and have removed Magician from my Mac. DO you recommend a complete reinstall, or removing it will be ok? I removed Iceclean and iBoostup as well and only have Onyx left.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
GGJstudios is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:04 AM   #16
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
Sorry I meant, is it best to reinstall Mac completely, or will the remove steps completely remove Magician, or can it leave behind any malware or nasty files that have been named something else besides "Magician"?
2012Tony2012 is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:05 AM   #17
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Sorry I meant, is it best to reinstall Mac completely, or will the remove steps completely remove Magician, or can it leave behind any malware or nasty files?
No, it's fine to just remove it. You can reinstall OS X if you want, but I doubt it's necessary.
GGJstudios is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:17 AM   #18
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
[MOD NOTE]
Thread has really run its course - closing.
maflynn is online now   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats a good free virus, malware scanner for Mac OS X? SRLMJ23 Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 20 Aug 9, 2014 06:07 PM
clamxav virus scanner flimzy Mac Basics and Help 8 Feb 21, 2014 05:29 PM
New scanner or old SCSI scanner on Mac Pro? macmesser Mac Pro 14 Feb 22, 2013 02:59 PM
Kaspersky Virus Scanner for Mac - Incompatible? bit50man OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 4 Jul 28, 2012 11:09 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC