Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcecena09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
I just bought my first mac; a macbook air 13" with 2GB RAM and 128GB SDD. I bought refurbished for 450, but they have the upgrade of that with 4GB RAM and 256gb sdd for 650. I dont know if i should pay the extra 200$ for the other one. I will primarily use the laptop for school work like word, excell and all that and for my use which is watching movies and surf the web. I usually have around 4-7 tabs open, music playing, word open and maybe uploading pictures on facebook. I have an external memory but i just dont want to run out of memory and my computer to be slow in the future. Also, should i get a 3 year warranty for $150? I wish i dont have to since im low on money but how offten does MBA get defected? Need as much info as possible! Thankss guys

rcecena09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
thanks, i am really thinking this trough, i guess now its about to spend the extra cash on the upgrade or the warranty... ive to say that ive never seen my friends mac going bad or something but you never know.... So would you say go for the upgrade and take excellent care or get the warranty?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
thanks, i am really thinking this trough, i guess now its about to spend the extra cash on the upgrade or the warranty... ive to say that ive never seen my friends mac going bad or something but you never know.... So would you say go for the upgrade and take excellent care or get the warranty?

I always buy Apple Care...It differs from other companies so called "Extended" warranties which are really just money spinners IMO.

Having said that, I have never had to use it on any of my products at all. ever.

Things is, HDD, SSD's break, GPU's go etc. etc. It's the peace of mind knowing that if this happens, I'm covered.

rcecena09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
other question, i am thinking of setting up Windows OS in my mac... if i stick with the 2g/128g, would it slow it down a lot? or do u recommend me to stay away from it since i have the minimum capacity?

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
You'll want the upgraded memory option for sure especially running MS Office on it. Also 128gb will fill up fast. Not a bad upgrade for the price.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
HDD is optionally. I bought a 256 and still have 170 available.

The memory is not optional. 2gb to 4gb is a substantial difference.

Apple care is a toss up. I'd buy the New SSD before is buy apple care if I had to choose. But I do enjoy the peace of mind from apple care, but I've also got expendable income for stuff like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.