Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:01 AM   #1
rask
macrumors newbie

What is Widevine Media Optimizer?

Hello!

I am currently active in a discussion on a Swedish Mac forum. (http://forum.macworld.se/topic/15683...-foer-program/)

We are a few people who has encountered a strange update request.

We are getting a dialog box with the text: "Widevine Media Optimizer Update Available" and then the options "Later" och "Update".

Se pic: http://forum.macworld.se/uploads/mon...8215_thumb.png

The dialog box looks like crap and no one can recall having installed this applications. This makes us suspicious to as what this really is.

Some people claim that it is nothing, and some claim it is a virus. ClamXav doesn't detect it.

Anyhow we are unable to sort this out. All the information on it seems very contradicting.

Any ideas?
rask is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:17 AM   #2
phillymjs
macrumors regular

I got this, too.

And I similarly was like, WTF?

Then I remembered that it's legit because I had installed it as a condition of watching Netflix streaming content on my machine.

Their update notification method could be a little more polished, and less jarring.
phillymjs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:00 PM   #3
JBH
macrumors newbie

Hi.. PhillyMJS so you're not concerned because it's installed on your computer...but I do not have Widevine Media Optimizer on my computer. Plus, I am only receiving this message on my mac air, not my iMac...and no one else I know is getting the pop-up. Plus this message does not stop! Did you download the update? Any problems? Still not convinced because it's not allowing me to totally ignore.
JBH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:56 PM   #4
ravenvii
macrumors 604

It's apparently made by Google, and allows you to watch DRM'd videos.

Amazon Prime uses it, as well as Showtime Anytime.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:28 PM   #5
rodneys
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
It's apparently made by Google, and allows you to watch DRM'd videos.

Amazon Prime uses it, as well as Showtime Anytime.
You're right, it's listed as a system requirement.
Thanks

http://www.showtimeanytime.com/#/faq
rodneys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:11 PM   #6
Celtiad54
macrumors newbie

Keeps showing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillymjs View Post
And I similarly was like, WTF?

Then I remembered that it's legit because I had installed it as a condition of watching Netflix streaming content on my machine.

Their update notification method could be a little more polished, and less jarring.
I'm getting this too and even though I hit update, sooner or later it keeps coming back. I also found another plugin called widevinecdmadapter but it's not in my Internet plugins folder, it's in a folder labeled Widevine CDM.
Does this update window ever quit ?
Celtiad54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:37 PM   #7
mstmarie222
macrumors newbie

found this answer and so far its working

omar @yahoo answers wrote: It lets you watch DRM video, I got it installing an app by Amazon for their videos.

On a Mac you can go to your HDD and go into Library/Internet Plug-Ins, you can delete it from there it'll be something like WidevineMediaOptimizer.plugin, just delete the little sucker.

It started nagging me nonstop about updates, that's how I found out I got it. It's gone now.
mstmarie222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help