Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:02 AM   #1
mulletman13
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mulletman13
Question Is there a way to make my USB drive automatically open up a specific Finder window?

Hey everyone!

My friend is essentially making up an electronic press kit; and is going to be handing them out on flash drives. I've used DMG Architect to design the custom layout, icons and various other aspects of it, and it creates a DMG just fine.

When I open the DMG, a perfectly sized and located Finder window pops up just as it should. However, when I restore this DMG to my flash drive's partition, it does not exhibit this behavior. In fact, it defaults to my Finder settings, and does not even show up in icon view at all.

I've looked all over online, and have read mixed things; one is that the drive or DMG must be blessed in Terminal to have it auto open the root folder in Finder. Another one mentioned directly editing my ds_store file on the flash drive (which is what I think DMG Architect basically does visually). Finally I have also read that this behavior has been removed from physical USB drives in 10.7 and 10.8.

I would truly appreciate any information or clarity on this. Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Tags
usb flash finder dmg