Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sankel

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Just opened my SimCity on my new late 2012 (27") iMac, and suddenly i see some burned in image of facebook of my browser

What do I need to do? And how is this possible?

Attachments

• foto 1.JPG
    foto 1.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 562
  • foto 2.JPG
    foto 2.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 488

TV Cameraman

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Please post the exact specs of your machine.

If you search for "iMac Image Retention" you'll find that this is an unfortunate problem that is plaguing some of the 27-inch late 2012 iMacs.

Since it's not happening to everyone out there, I'm trying to see if this is only afflicting a certain combination of custom configurations.

Are you using an i7 processor?

Again, please post the exact specs of our iMac.

stevefo

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
It seems you would have had to have facebook open in one page for days straight without moving a page. That's messed up! I will absolutely get the 3 year warranty now!!!!!!!

----------

Apple says it's normal. Read here:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

Sankel

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Please post the exact specs of your machine.

If you search for "iMac Image Retention" you'll find that this is an unfortunate problem that is plaguing some of the 27-inch late 2012 iMacs.

Since it's not happening to everyone out there, I'm trying to see if this is only afflicting a certain combination of custom configurations.

Are you using an i7 processor?

Again, please post the exact specs of our iMac.

Hi, thanks for replying.

My iMac specs are;

3,2 Ghz i7
8 Gb memory (standard from apple)
3TB Fusion Drive
Nivdia Geforce GTX 680 MX 2Gb

(also installed windows bootcamp with fusion drive)

I'm calling Apple on monday for maybe any support or so..

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I've had this happen on a number of 2012 iMacs. I've been through 4 of them and 3 had IR issues and all had odd issues with Target Display mode and the backlight sometimes activating, but most of the time not.

The IR would generally happen anytime I had a second monitor running from the iMac and had been using it for a number of hours (not a static screen for hours, but just constant use and no hibernation). I could tell when it would start to happen simply because I could interlacing in the screen on the mac desktop image.

Some machines were worse than others, but it seems to happen to far too many to ignore for me. I'm finally returning the 4th one and just getting a refund. This one has not been bad at all, but has shown IR twice in the two weeks I've had it and the Target Display issues are just concerning as well.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
What other devices do you have connected to your iMac? I want to know everything there is about it. Do you have a second display connected?

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
What other devices do you have connected to your iMac? I want to know everything there is about it. Do you have a second display connected?

From the looks of your forum interest and posts you're a fairly intelligent chap. Please lets remain so - this is an issue caused by faulty screen manufacture.

No matter what is connected to the logic board, what programs you have used or even sites you have been browsing will cause this issue.

I will make one leap - I bet it's LG displays just like the Retina Macbooks.

The graphics card is also not the culprit - if it were processing a different screen over an exisiting app, game whatever, then why on earth would it produce a faint - ghosted image so similar to polarisation of a panel?

This is the same issue MacBook Retina owners are/have faced.

The fact that LG have still not moved to fix this is poor.

Asking the OP machine spec will not be of any help unless we can some how ascertain the panel manufacturer, anyone a terminal junky?

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
From the looks of your forum interest and posts you're a fairly intelligent chap. Please lets remain so - this is an issue caused by faulty screen manufacture.

No matter what is connected to the logic board, what programs you have used or even sites you have been browsing will cause this issue.

I will make one leap - I bet it's LG displays just like the Retina Macbooks.

The graphics card is also not the culprit - if it were processing a different screen over an exisiting app, game whatever, then why on earth would it produce a faint - ghosted image so similar to polarisation of a panel?

This is the same issue MacBook Retina owners are/have faced.

The fact that LG have still not moved to fix this is poor.

Asking the OP machine spec will not be of any help unless we can some how ascertain the panel manufacturer, anyone a terminal junky?

Hey now! There have been numerous reports from forum members that having a second display attached causes some IR. The reasons for this I have no idea. That's all I was getting at in my response.

e.g.

http://173.192.77.187/showpost.php?p=16742224&postcount=38

FYI all 27" iMacs use LG panels.

Sankel

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012

I use a scarlet 2i2 external soundcard. No second screen and a Logitech wireless mouse.

I don't think that my external accessories may affect the screen of my iMac?

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I've set-up about 10 2012 27-inch for a client. Noticed on about 7 of them have Image Retention issues.

Theyre all the same model.
27-inch, 3.2Ghz i5, 1TB HDD, Base-model 27-inch.

Nothing even has to be open for the problem to arise. noticed on a idle machine, went to log out and the desktop was ghosted over the login window.

otherwise fantastic machines. terrible production quality from the display manufactures.
Apple is apparently claiming this as "normal". Dont buy that.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I use a scarlet 2i2 external soundcard. No second screen and a Logitech wireless mouse.

I don't think that my external accessories may affect the screen of my iMac?

Can you try disconnecting that external soundcard and seeing if it makes a difference? I know it's a weird one, but humor me here...

I've set-up about 10 2012 27-inch for a client. Noticed on about 7 of them have Image Retention issues.

Theyre all the same model.
27-inch, 3.2Ghz i5, 1TB HDD, Base-model 27-inch.

Nothing even has to be open for the problem to arise. noticed on a idle machine, went to log out and the desktop was ghosted over the login window.

otherwise fantastic machines. terrible production quality from the display manufactures.
Apple is apparently claiming this as "normal". Dont buy that.

That kind of luck is crazy. I've had six 27" 2012 iMacs in my office at various times, and not a single one has had image retention.

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
I gave up after the 4th replacement 27" I had suffered from it also. Now I just have accepted it.
It is a great machine, but I got sick of having to setup a new iMac every 3-4 weeks.

It does seem to happen semi-randomly. When I want to reproduce it I can't, and when I am just working away it will sometimes occur.

Very annoying, but I can live with it for now..

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
I just received my iMac 27-inch today. 3.4GHz i7, 24GB Memory, 3TB Fusion and 680MX 2GB graphics. Happy to report that there were no image retention issues after doing the test, bootcamp install also went without a hitch. Windows 8 by the way.

Couldn't be more pleased.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
i dont care if no one believes me or not but ALL iMacs have SOME image retention some are worse than others. Like some of them you really need to look for it but they all have it, ive so far tested around 20-25 of them they all have them to a certain point.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
This seems the most relevant place for me post this comment. What displays are the new iMacs using are they LG or Samsung?

They're all LG. Samsung doesn't make 27" IPS panels. Their 27" panels are MVA and PLS. Image retention is nothing new with the 27" iMacs. I have seen 2009 27" iMacs with terrible image retention. The interesting thing is that Dell has used the same 27" LG panels as Apple, and image retention doesn't seem to be an issue with them.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
They're all LG. Samsung doesn't make 27" IPS panels. Their 27" panels are MVA and PLS. Image retention is nothing new with the 27" iMacs. I have seen 2009 27" iMacs with terrible image retention. The interesting thing is that Dell has used the same 27" LG panels as Apple, and image retention doesn't seem to be an issue with them.

you probably dont see any image retention on the dells because of 3 inches of antiglare coating on the screen. the grain washes it away. =P

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
i dont care if no one believes me or not but ALL iMacs have SOME image retention some are worse than others. Like some of them you really need to look for it but they all have it, ive so far tested around 20-25 of them they all have them to a certain point.

I want to echo this. I went through 4 units that all had image retention\persistence before giving up and asking for a full refund. I worked with an Executive Customer Support agent that finally told me after my 4th unit that ALL 2012 iMacs WILL show some level of image persistence because of the fact that they're using IPS displays. I'm not a display expert in any way so take that as you may. I'm just speaking from my experience and from what Apple is telling me. I know that some people are claiming to have perfect screens with no persistence issues but Apple stance seems to be that persistence will occur because it's inherent to IPS displays.

In my experience with the 4 units that I mentioned above it seemed like the IR would occur after the unit was on for a while. I think heat has something to do with it. Perhaps this new super thin redesign doesn't do as good of a job at dissipating the heat away from the display as other models or Dells offerings.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I want to echo this. I went through 4 units that all had image retention\persistence before giving up and asking for a full refund. I worked with an Executive Customer Support agent that finally told me after my 4th unit that ALL 2012 iMacs WILL show some level of image persistence because of the fact that they're using IPS displays. I'm not a display expert in any way so take that as you may. I'm just speaking from my experience and from what Apple is telling me. I know that some people are claiming to have perfect screens with no persistence issues but Apple stance seems to be that persistence will occur because it's inherent to IPS displays.

In my experience with the 4 units that I mentioned above it seemed like the IR would occur after the unit was on for a while. I think heat has something to do with it. Perhaps this new super thin redesign doesn't do as good of a job at dissipating the heat away from the display as other models or Dells offerings.

It still seems to me that the folks here that have image retention in their homes/offices have image retention with ALL their replacements, too, which leads me to believe something else is afoot. I can't say this for sure, of course, but...

In my case, I've used six 2012 27" iMacs and not a single one had anything like image retention, and they were used quite heavily too to test, including torture tests with that grid-pattern from one of the other threads. I've NEVER seen IR on my 2012 iMacs, and I've also never seen it on my 2009 27" iMac which I used for 3 years straight, and never ever got shut off.

Note I'm extremely picky about my devices, so if IR would ever to occur I'd pick up on it immediately.

So what's going on here? :(

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Willam make a video not screen recording but a recording of the iMac itself turn off screen savers and set the screen to never shut off go to a site with a white background like vimeo or something that has mostly white. Make that page half screen leave it there for 10 mins then go to choose a color for your background make it gray come back to this forum and show the video uncut and share it with us ill believe it when I see it. Like I said some will have worse than others but they ALL have this problem if you this you will find this out too. Now weather you don't want to look for it or not that's a whole other issue.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Willam make a video not screen recording but a recording of the iMac itself turn off screen savers and set the screen to never shut off go to a site with a white background like vimeo or something that has mostly white. Make that page half screen leave it there for 10 mins then go to choose a color for your background make it gray come back to this forum and show the video uncut and share it with us ill believe it when I see it. Like I said some will have worse than others but they ALL have this problem if you this you will find this out too. Now weather you don't want to look for it or not that's a whole other issue.

Your wish is my command. I took a video of this for about 13 minutes or so, recorded with the iMac at max brightness. No image retention. Feel free to watch the video. Note I've also done this for far, far longer in the past, using the grid-pattern test as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06waD9kOrII&feature=youtu.be

*EDIT*

While the first video was uploading, I did the grid pattern test, too, for just under 10 minutes (I got bored). No image retention. A while ago I ran this image for almost an hour with no image retention.

http://youtu.be/vmnuW8-AOz0

This is the image I used:

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Your wish is my command. I took a video of this for about 13 minutes or so, recorded with the iMac at max brightness. No image retention. Feel free to watch the video. Note I've also done this for far, far longer in the past, using the grid-pattern test as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06waD9kOrII&feature=youtu.be

*EDIT*

While the first video was uploading, I did the grid pattern test, too, for just under 10 minutes (I got bored). No image retention. A while ago I ran this image for almost an hour with no image retention.

http://youtu.be/vmnuW8-AOz0

This is the image I used:

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

hey William ! what are the rest of you specs ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.