Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech686239

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hello MR members,

Today I am replacing the failed 1TB Western Digital Black that came in my 2010 iMac. The only thing i am worried about is dust getting on the back of the glass and on the LCD. Any idea's on how to avoid this?

Thanks
Tech

Last edited:

Griffter18

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2015
The LCD which youll be removing/lifting up is semi sealed (aluminium tape) and comes out as a complete unit. You wont be seperating this so if there is no contaminents now then there shouldnt be any afterwards.
Mines a 2011 model and has streaks and blotches on the actual backlight within the lcd so will need to be seperated at some point (out of warranty)!

If youre worried about the front cover (clear plastic) then it can be cleaned easily as long as you dont use anything abrasive. I tend to use water and a microfibre cloth.

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Easiest way is with a can of compressed air, a VERY clean microfibre cloth and a lot of patience. You'll probably spend more time cleaning the glass than swapping the HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.