Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I've reset SMC & PRAM to no avail. The Pro starts off at 2000rpm & idles at around 40 degrees Celsius after booting. However, whenever you even go into Safari, and even though the CPU only ramps up to around 5/10%, the temps shoot up to 60-70 degrees & the fans up to 6000rpm. I know they're known to run hot but this seems a bit out of the ordinary, any ideas?

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Could be a number of things... I'd guess possibly faulty temperature sensors, or perhaps blocked vents/heat sinks (from dust), or even a problem with the thermal paste.

If you're fairly brave and careful, I'd suggest taking the bottom plate off and inspecting for dust build-up around the fans/heat sinks. If everything looks normal, the next safe step would be to take it to an Apple store or authorised service provider.

EDIT: If it's the MacBook Pro from your signature, it's obviously the top section (with the keyboard etc.) that comes off. Not much harder than taking the bottom off unibodies and later, just watch out for the ribbon cable that's in the middle (i.e. don't take the top off and suddenly yank it, detach the cable from the logic board first).

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Could be a number of things... I'd guess possibly faulty temperature sensors, or perhaps blocked vents/heat sinks (from dust), or even a problem with the thermal paste.

If you're fairly brave and careful, I'd suggest taking the bottom plate off and inspecting for dust build-up around the fans/heat sinks. If everything looks normal, the next safe step would be to take it to an Apple store or authorised service provider.

EDIT: If it's the MacBook Pro from your signature, it's obviously the top section (with the keyboard etc.) that comes off. Not much harder than taking the bottom off unibodies and later, just watch out for the ribbon cable that's in the middle (i.e. don't take the top off and suddenly yank it, detach the cable from the logic board first).

Thanks for the reply. I had already opened it up & took a peek - all is good.

Turned out it was some sort of a software issue. I was running the copy of Lion the seller had put on there - so I cloned my old white MacBook's Lion partition over, et voila! Le processeur est le basculement à 60 degrés et les fans ne vont pas au-dessus de 2000tr/min! Thanks buddy!

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I had already opened it up & took a peek - all is good.

Turned out it was some sort of a software issue. I was running the copy of Lion the seller had put on there - so I cloned my old white MacBook's Lion partition over, et voila! Le processeur est le basculement à 60 degrés et les fans ne vont pas au-dessus de 2000tr/min! Thanks buddy!

Great, I'm glad to hear it's all fine now. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.