Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sambobsessed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
I've had battery problems with my MacBook for a while now. I posted on here and was advised to restore my macbook. Which i haven't had time to do until now.

It's the Macbook pro mid-2012 edition. Now my 1st question is;

1. How do I factory reset it? Are there any thing I need to do prior to resetting it?

2. I don't want to restore my whole time machine because the purpose of doing this is that I think maybe one of the third party apps I have is causing the battery problems (maybe). I want to put back some apps - adobe CS6, adobe premier element's, iwork and microsoft office. Can I restore not all of my programs, just some? (The one's I mentioned) - is there a way to do this?

3. Now question 3 is do I need to re-enter the serials for the named apps?

4. Also my mac didn't come with a disk so I don't have the update to mountain lion because apple have changed to the app store. So from the app store can I just update it there? I don't need to update anything with a CD, just through the mac app store?

Thank's so much - please reply ASAP as I want to do this ASAP. :)

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Reboot your computer into the recovery partition (command+r) and then follow the steps. If you want to roll things over after the recovery, you should make sure you have a current Time Machine backup.

After you perform the recovery, you can run the Migration Assistant which will give you the option to pick and choose which Apps you want to roll back over. You may need to re-validate some applications such as Microsoft Office. It wouldn't hurt to have product keys available.

You don't need any discs also even though your computer didn't ship with ML, because you upgraded to ML, when you use recovery, it'll freshly install ML as you wanted.

If you run into battery performance issues again, consider looking at any apps you may have installed that may be running stranded processes / high CPU% in the activity monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.