Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gti303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Hi,

Just looking for some advice as the damage is pretty severe. Basically I crushed the phone under my hydraulic bed. It's separated right where the bottom of the screen ends. Everything works. Except I can't get any reception.

I was hoping that buying a complete color conversion kit with a complete mid frame I can fix it.

Any opinions? I'd rather not waste $100 but just to see it can't be fixed. My wedding is making me broke.

I'll upload pix in a few minutes. My galaxy note is not cooperating

8583755287_ae6d454866_z.jpg

8583756881_ae83375c76_z.jpg

8583756095_fecb94e117_z.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Fixed!

I had to buy a new Digitizer, and mid frame, along with the glass. The wifi antenna was broken too so I had to replace that. All in all it was around $58.

8643024399_de5fe99129.jpg

Last edited:

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I'd say your best bet is taking it to an an Apple Store. If there's a genius there who's had a good day, you'll likely get a new phone for free. Apple geniuses have been known to do stuff like this, so if you have an Apple Store near you, I would check that out before all other options. Worst they can say is no and you can walk out of the store and look at more options.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If the metal band is split in two I think an owr will be out of the question but you could ask. If your lucky itll be $149 and you'll get a shiny new phone

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Sounds like you're FUBAR'd. OOW replacement would be best option IMHO.
Pics of hydraulic bed too please, sounds cool.

Secondly why is a wedding making you broke? My wedding with JOP, $65. My brothers wedding $28,000. I'm just as married, just as happy but didn't start my married life forcing our parents to dump a ton of cash (or blowing saving of our own) into a "party". Marriage is in your heart not in the party thrown to celebrate it. Never understood why people blow so much... I guess it's the fairytale of it all. Good luck!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
To quote apples own terms

'Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.'

Oops

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia

'Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.'

Oops

I know the terms are there, but still, some people can even get out-of-warranty replacements for free. I think it depends on which store you go to and who serves you. Plus OP said the phone's still working, maybe it's not that catastrophic.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Bring the fiancee. Tell then you are getting married soon and how hard it is trying to organize wedding without your iphone. Pity card will work.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
While Apple does do this on occasion, the OP certainly has no right to expect Apple to do this.

This.

If it was an ip5 in the first few days you'd have a chance as apple like examples of failure but its a bit late in the day

Gti303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Agreed. Can't wait to see pictures of it OP.

of my bed? or of my phone? haha the pics of the phone are posted now.

----------

Sounds like you're FUBAR'd. OOW replacement would be best option IMHO.
Pics of hydraulic bed too please, sounds cool.

Secondly why is a wedding making you broke? My wedding with JOP, $65. My brothers wedding $28,000. I'm just as married, just as happy but didn't start my married life forcing our parents to dump a ton of cash (or blowing saving of our own) into a "party". Marriage is in your heart not in the party thrown to celebrate it. Never understood why people blow so much... I guess it's the fairytale of it all. Good luck!

Hm. Do you guys think its repairable by myself getting a new midframe with all the parts and stuff? I'm pretty good with this stuff as my hobbies were always taking apart electronics and such.

At first I thought my wedding would be a bit cheaper...its just getting out of control haha...and both our parents are divorced...so its just us paying for everything.

----------

And THIS is but one reason why people still buy iPhones. :D

Its true. I had an I4 before as well...and lately I had to service my Samsung, and it was a nightmare. Basically I went three weeks without a phone, and had some interesting conversations with some pretty dumb people. I was neither provided with a replacement phone, nor treated with much respect and courtesy unlike at Apple.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Wow :eek:
Never seen that kind of damage to an iPhone before.

I think you should take it to Apple and get it replaced for $200. I wouldn't even try repairing that. Seems like there would be a lot that needed to be replaced

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
The safest way is to take the phone to apple store see if they would do out-of-warranty replacement for about $200.

at that point might just be worth it to get an iPhone 5, if your still under a 2 year contract, they you may have no choice but to pay Apple for a swap

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Yikes, at least you now know where not to stick your hand!!!
I'll stick with my flat ordinary bed.

No way to repair that. Apple will replace it for under $200. :cool:

Gti303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Yikes, at least you now know where not to stick your hand!!!
I'll stick with my flat ordinary bed.

No way to repair that. Apple will replace it for under $200. :cool:

Whats awesome is that every button still works. You can still surf and whatsapp and such.

stormweaver

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
Oh sh**, man!
what were u doing with it?
its epic fail!
its easier to ressurect the pharaoh than repair ur phone

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Ouch!!

How about adding an unlocked 64GB iPhone 5 to your wedding registry?? :D

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Oops

They replaced a 3gs for me that was spit in two AND had water damage (took a spill while riding slick rock in Moab...... end over end down about 90' and into a pool of water at the bottom.... it was awesome!) so I would say it's worth a shot.

OP I wanted a picture of this hydraulic bed, not sure what you mean but it sound interesting. AND if it's just you guys paying for it freakin go down to the courthouse or fly to LV and get it done on the cheap. It's your day F every one else.

Made me LoL

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.