Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

View Poll Results: how does ichat with yahoo on ppc mac sound?
i don't care 2 33.33%
what's yahoo...? 1 16.67%
i would like that 0 0%
awesome! 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 24, 2013, 04:28 AM   #1
gaboshenia
macrumors member

Question iChat and Yahoo

Question:
Is there a way to get yahoo to work with ichat on a ppc mac (10.5.8/iChat 4) without using the jabber way?
I have searched and searched but nothing. There is the Lion version of iChat that natively supports yahoo, but nothing for us ppc users.
I'm asking because the jabber solution isn't actually a solution, it "kind of" works but only for a while.
I guess there's no way to port the lion/moutain lion ichat, or the recompile the ppc one to work with yahoo...is there?
Just asking. It would be cool to be able to use yahoo with ichat without to much hassle after setting it up....

 MacBook Unibody Al |2GHZ/4gb/256mb/160gb OS 10.8.4|
 iPhone 4 |16gb Black|
gaboshenia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:58 AM   #2
ihuman:D
macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by "kind of works"? Jabber/Facebook in iChat has been working for months now on my iMac G4 and Powerbook G4.
ihuman:D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:12 AM   #3
gaboshenia
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihuman:D View Post
What do you mean by "kind of works"? Jabber/Facebook in iChat has been working for months now on my iMac G4 and Powerbook G4.
for mer it stopped working a couple of days ago. And it didn't work right from the start. For ex. when i added some contacts they didn't stay in my list in ichat. Don't know why, but there is way to much to work around, find/discover/ do and redo for it to work with yahoo. I allready tried a couple of times with different jabber accounts/servers or what you call them, but, maybe it's me, but it just isn't working right. Haven't tried facebook...

 iPhone 4 |16gb Black|
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:00 AM   #4
ihuman:D
macrumors 6502a

Oh, right. it must be a Yahoo thing then. I hope you get it to work.
ihuman:D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:04 AM   #5
gaboshenia
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihuman:D View Post
Oh, right. it must be a Yahoo thing then. I hope you get it to work.
I hope it will. I'm playing around with nimbuzz, found this where it explains how to set up nimbuzz with ichat, i just have to figure a way to setup nimbuzz with yahoo, 'cause the webchat keeps disconnecting me before i get to write my yahoo login, and can't seem to find a ppc client for nimbuzz that will allow me to set it up with yahoo...
I'll update if i find a way to get this working...

 iPhone 4 |16gb Black|
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:00 PM   #6
eyoungren
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Just use Adium. AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Facebook and a bunch of others. You can also install a Skype plugin which will control Skype directly from Adium.

No messing around with tricks to get things to work. Just create the account with your details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LittleSnapper.png
Views:	8
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	404280  
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:11 PM   #7
gaboshenia
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Just use Adium. AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Facebook and a bunch of others. You can also install a Skype plugin which will control Skype directly from Adium.

No messing around with tricks to get things to work. Just create the account with your details.
Ahm...yes. Or the client that yahoo provides...still, doesn't help me in this particular area. As i said, i would like to use iChat, just because i love the way it looks in ichat rather than adium, yahoo, or any other im client.

But i'll post back as soon as i'll find a way. I'm sure there is one. Still trying the one with nimbuzz, but can't seem to get it to work. I've installed the ios app but it hangs when trying to connect my nimbuzz account to the yahoo one...

EDIT: eyoungren, i just realized that my tone in this reply feels a little aggressive, I just wanted to reassure you it is not Thanks for the post and for the suggestion.

 iPhone 4 |16gb Black|

Last edited by gaboshenia; Mar 24, 2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: ahm..
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:37 PM   #8
eyoungren
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboshenia View Post
EDIT: eyoungren, i just realized that my tone in this reply feels a little aggressive, I just wanted to reassure you it is not Thanks for the post and for the suggestion.
No worries. I didn't take it that way. Speaking only of myself, I would not last long in internet forums if I always assumed the worst tone from people. Some people do do that though so this is one of the reasons I always try to make MY tone clear by indicating that I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I also don't count first impressions. They are usually wrong, especially if you've found a person on what may be a bad day for them.

Again, no worries.

Totally understand the desire to use the app of your choice. Unfortunately, I don't really use iChat so I'm not of much help here in trying to fix your problem. Once I found Adium and I realized that I could close out four different IM apps and just use one, well that was it for me.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs