Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happidane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Denmark
I couldn't find any thread concerning 'setup pictures' about the most important ingredient to a successful mac (and almost anything else) experience.
So therefor I hope you would like to share how you make, create, develop your coffee. May it be a huge and complicated machinery, or simply a scoop of nescafe with some hot water.
Both are more than welcome!

Personnally I'm currently running a setup with grinder, espresso machine etc.

• Machine: Isomac Tea 2007
  • Grinder: Ascaso mini I2
  • Standard peripherals

Before some enthutiast want's to enlightening me about how important a good grinder is,
I know the current isn't optimal however it gets the job done until I will be able to pick up a Mazzer etc.

2013-03-24

Now please post a picture of how you create those delicious drops :D

Last edited:

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I use USA made Farberware 8 and 12 cup percolators I've had for 20 years. The new ones are made in China and they're total crap. To me perc's make the best coffee. I went through a Keurig phase for about 5 years. But after my 3th unit stopped working, I went back to my trusty old Farberware's. My Coffee of choice is Kirkland Colombian Dark Roast

kirkland-coffee-lrg.png

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I couldn't find any thread concerning the most important ingredient to a successful mac (and almost anything else) experience.
So therefor I hope you would like to share how you make, create, develop your coffee. May it be a huge and complicated machinery, or simply a scoop of nescafe with some hot water.
Both are more than welcome!

Personnally I'm currently running a setup with grinder, espresso machine etc.

• Standard peripherals

Before some enthutiast want's to enlightening me about how important a good grinder is,
I know the current isn't optimal however it gets the job done until I will be able to pick up a Mazzer etc.

We have an espresso/coffee enthusiast thread on the community forum. So if people would like to discuss/debate coffee, that would be the place to do it.

I'll include a link in the OP of that thread linking to this one so hopefully people can post setups here, and discussion there. :D

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1530636/

happidane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Denmark
We have an espresso/coffee enthusiast thread on the community forum. So if people would like to discuss/debate coffee, that would be the place to do it.

I'll include a link in the OP of that thread linking to this one so hopefully people can post setups here, and discussion there. :D

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1530636/

Yes, I am aware of that thread. However I saw it more as a Q/A rather than a 'Show off your equipment' like the thread 'Post your mac setup', which I was interested in, for people to gather inspiration etc.

So yea let's keep this thread for the beautiful pictures.

And thanks for the link! ;)

Reactions: TheDoubler55

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
can the mods please hide this thread from Shrink :p

Good idea!

The guy is such a long winded, pedantic, know-it-all jerk!

There must be some way to keep him out...let's check with the Mods.

Meanwhile, since he is not around, here's a badly taken picture of my coffee set up:

Attachments

• espresso.jpg
    espresso.jpg
    869.4 KB · Views: 1,471
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Josh220

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I have tried and compared various burr grinders, but I haven't found any that I like the design of. With this basic grinder I can see exactly what goes in and what comes out, using a brush to clean out all grounds each time. The burr grinders leave too many "unseen" portions of the grinder for grounds to build up, get rancid, etc.

If anyone has any recommendations for a good grinder that isn't susceptible to getting grounds built up inside, please let me know. For now, this is my setup and the only coffee I will drink unless I am traveling/camping:

Attachments

• 41PvifEtLCL.jpg
    41PvifEtLCL.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 71HRyqQLraL._SL1500_.jpg
    71HRyqQLraL._SL1500_.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 332
  • kona-coffee-peaberry-500x500.png
    kona-coffee-peaberry-500x500.png
    978.7 KB · Views: 408
  • kona-coffee-vanilla-macnut-500x500.png
    kona-coffee-vanilla-macnut-500x500.png
    978.7 KB · Views: 379

Josh220

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Pretty much zero grind retention...among other great things about this grinder...:D

I have checked them out in the past, but they seem to be geared towards expresso more so than french press brewing. Would probably be a waste of money for my needs. I am also looking for something under $300 if possible. The options just all seem the same- quite a bit of grind retention and a PITA to clean, which is something that I hate when my $20 grinder doesn't retain anything!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I have checked them out in the past, but they seem to be geared towards expresso more so than french press brewing. Would probably be a waste of money for my needs. I am also looking for something under $300 if possible. The options just all seem the same- quite a bit of grind retention and a PITA to clean, which is something that I hate when my $20 grinder doesn't retain anything!

Although blade choppers can spoil coffee because of the heat they produce, as far as producing grinds for press, or even drip, the chopper does the job.

You are absolutely right, the HG-one is mainly for espresso grinding, although it is fully and infinitely (step less) adjustable and could grind for press.

In truth, I was kidding. That grinder is only for the truly and completely insane home barista!!:p;)

Trust me, I know..:eek::D

Josh220

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Although blade choppers can spoil coffee because of the heat they produce, as far as producing grinds for press, or even drip, the chopper does the job.

You are absolutely right, the HG-one is mainly for espresso grinding, although it is fully and infinitely (step less) adjustable and could grind for press.

In truth, I was kidding. That grinder is only for the truly and completely insane home barista!!:p;)

Trust me, I know..:eek::D

Yeah, I agree. I only make coffee for myself (16oz at a time) so I have never had to worry about overheating. I only grind about 3 scoops of beans at a time, and do it in short bursts to try to maintain consistency.

Alas, the search continues.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
My humble setup:

Keurig Platinum
Revolving K-Cup Holder
Milk Frother
Various Starbucks flavor syrups

I have only been drinking coffee for about two years. However, I got addicted quickly :)

Sorry for the Instagram picture, its the only one I had around of my setup. I will be happy when I move next month and the Keurig won't be wedged under the microwave.

rasepyju.jpg

Reactions: TheDoubler55

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The grinder is on the other side of the kitchen as i use it for filter coffee more than espresso at the moment. Also no grind retention on this grinder.

My poor old internally restored Cimbali needs re chroming so badly.

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

Yeah, I agree. I only make coffee for myself (16oz at a time) so I have never had to worry about overheating. I only grind about 3 scoops of beans at a time, and do it in short bursts to try to maintain consistency.

Alas, the search continues.

Blade grinders are a step up from preground, but only barely. Theres loads of grinders at various price ranges that would be a better choice for you. Grind retention is a problem on some, but not many.

If you could post a budget then we can post some grinders that might interest you.

Last edited:

hbtd

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Just finished living in the UK for seven months and really got used to a Bosch Tassimo machine. Almost bought one to bring back but it requires 220v. Any thing similar to the Tassimo in the USA?

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Our kitchen is a tight space, so my coffee equipment is a little crammed in there on the counter. I didn't polish anything, this was straight after consuming this mornings cups for myself and the wife.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Just finished living in the UK for seven months and really got used to a Bosch Tassimo machine. Almost bought one to bring back but it requires 220v. Any thing similar to the Tassimo in the USA?

I know the Tassimo was available at most of the same places as the Keurig when they both first came out. I haven't kept up with it though. Check out Bed Bath & Beyond.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
  • Standard peripherals

2013-03-24

Fantastic idea and a very nice setup to get the ball rolling, I'm envious of the space you have there!

----------

Good idea!

The guy is such a long winded, pedantic, know-it-all jerk!

There must be some way to keep him out...let's check with the Mods.

Meanwhile, since he is not around, here's a badly taken picture of my coffee set up:

With a nice setup like this Shrink, I gather the process is almost a meditative one for you? My setup is a lot simpler, but it is definitely a ritual process for me. Not quite as elaborate as the Japanese tea brewing ceremonies, but heading there. :eek:

Josh220

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Blade grinders are a step up from preground, but only barely. Theres loads of grinders at various price ranges that would be a better choice for you. Grind retention is a problem on some, but not many.

If you could post a budget then we can post some grinders that might interest you.

Thanks, I actually picked up a Bodum burr grinder today on Amazon after posting. I figure for about $100 it's a relatively cheap way to try them out compared to the blade grinder. It seems to be the best bang for your buck under $200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.