Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janjan77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
I own an iMac 27" and a MacBook Air 13" that I will be giving to my son soon, because I'll be purchasing a Retina MacBook Pro 13". I want to know which IPAD I should purchase, the IPAD 4 or the IPAD Mini? I will use it mainly for surfing the web, pictures, and music. I like the portability of the mini however, I like the retina display of the IPAD 4. Please help...:D

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Only you yourself can answer this question. But from the items described I would recommend the ipad 4, it'll serve you better for surfing the web and pictures will look much better on it.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I think that since you'll be using a retina screen on the MacBook, you will want an iPad 4.
Once you go retina, it'll be hard to go back. The iPad mini will get minimal use I think if you go that route

Nysska

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
Had the exact same problem. Went in and bought today 4. The screen sie just amazing, typing on it is awesome, and I think I'm in love.
It is a bit heavy, but besides this I absolutely love it.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
I love the portability of the mini.. but can't stand the constant refreshing of tabs in Safari when multi tasking, and smoothness of apps after using the iPhone 5. iPad 4 has a beautiful screen and very swift, just a bit heavier.. I'm hoping the next generation of the mini gets the speed of the 4, if not more. Go with the 4, imo.

Last edited:

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
I was in the same situation 3 mos ago. I ended up with the iPad 4. I had a month to take it back. But once I got used to the speed and retina screen, I couldn't give it up.

If you use your device mainly from home, get iPad 4.

If you are on the go and mobile. Get the 4G mini. Or wait for a month or 2 and get the mini 2, with retina and faster processor and 4G.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I initially bought the Mini and had to return it. As others have said, going back to non-Retina is rough once you've become used to it. Plus it's faster and the larger screen is so worth the extra size and weight, IMO.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Several days ago, I was in the same situation like the OP, right after having got a new iPod Touch5 a few days earlier.

I decided to go with the iPad4 over the mini.
Deciding factors for the iPad4:
Retina display
Larger screen (good for reading, browsing the internet, taking notes and etc)
More usable keyboard in the landscape mode
Decent durability (I read reviews the mini is not as sturdy as the iPad4)

I have to admit the Mini is definitely lighter than the iPad4, which is heavier than my old iPad1. But, it is still way lighter than a typical thin-and-light notebook computer.

I will consider getting an updated mini in the future when it is equipped with the faster A6 chips, retina display and larger storage. But, I am not going to get the current one.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I use my 4 as basically a computer replacement at home...with the occasional travel to work or in a suitcase for a weekend getaway. It works beautifully! The only changes Apple could made to convince me to trade would be to make it lighter & give it an even longer lasting battery. Other than that...it's perfect for me.

I plan on picking up an iPad Mini 2 when it's released...since after buying & returning the current model to Best Buy, I just can't appreciate the slower speeds & much poorer display compared to my 4. I've been spoiled for sure! But I definately like the size & portability of the Mini...

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Recently, I read a good rule about decoding between an iPad mini and an iPad 4:

By default, go for an iPad mini unless there's a reason why you want the 9.7" iPad.

If you see no good reason to go for a fourth generation iPad, than go for an iPad mini.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
If you're prepared to spend the extra money to buy a retina MacBook Pro, then you must value the retina display. The resolution of the mini will most likely bug you as you switch between the Pro and the mini. Get the iPad 4th gen...

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I suggest the mini. I used to use a full size iPad as an alternative to carrying a laptop with me during the day. But I've recently purchased a 13" retina MBP and now I think the mini complements it better. If you use the mini primarily as a reader, it's smaller size is ideal. Carrying both the large iPad and the rMBP seems redundant.

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
Mini. I had an iPad 3 and after going mini, I decided to give my 3 to my mother. The mini is just much more comfortable to hold... the iPad 4 feels too big and outdated when next to the mini.

macdaddykane

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
14 day return policy.

The Apple store or an authorized reseller have a 14 day return policy, no questions asked, along as you keep all packaging and no damage. So go ahead and jump in and buy one, if you don't like the one you pick, just trade it in.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
The Mini makes an excellent complement to the larger iPad 4. However, as you're looking for a single iPad, my vote would be to pick up the iPad 4. We've got both in the family---I do enjoy the Mini, but could never EVER get rid of my larger, retina fortified iPad.

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.