Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christophera614

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
I am setting up my home audio for TV/Music and am looking for advice for what exactly I need. I am pretty much a novice when it comes to audio, but I bet some one who knowledgable on the subject could figure it out pretty easy.

Some info: My home (a 2 bedroom flat condo) is wired for in ceiling speakers and I am looking to set it up so I can have two zones: One in the living/dining room area, and one in the master bedroom, and play in each independently through airplay.

I have a 'smart tv' and Apple TV. I need a receiver in the living room. I am thinking if I get a receiver that has Airplay (I was considering the Sony STRDN1030 because it has wifi), I can access my audio/video content through my iPad/iMac/iPhone, and use the receiver to toggle the two rooms. Perhaps some app on my Apple devices (or even a universal remote) to play content through the receiver for just one zone. For instance, play the audio for a movie in just the living room area, or music just in the master bedroom area. I figure this is a fairly basic concept, and with wifi TV/Receiver, and a suite of Apple devices it could get done pretty easy.

If anyone has any advice/tips for the actual setup process, or specific equipment (I am not an Audiophile, but good quality movie audio and music is what I am looking for), I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...(I am not an Audiophile, but good quality movie audio and music is what I am looking for), I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

"good quality" just is NOT going to happen with ceiling speakers. I don't care how much they cost the ceiling is just the WONG place.

If you want "quality sound" the #1 most important thing is speaker placement. Although others will argue the over all setup of the room so that reflections and so on are controlled. The next #2 important thing is the kind of speakers.

Yo are already near the bottom on the two most important things.

Do you have a budget? If not when you plan a "one zone" system for just a liveing room, I'd say 1/2 the budget needs to go into the speakers.

OK, now if you don't care much about sound quality it gets easier. Buy an Apple Airport Express for each set of speakers. Connect that to an amplifier and that to your speakers. iTunes will notice and give you some icons for speaker selection. An Apple TV will work slightly better but is kind of a waste for audio only.

But the sound quality is limited by the placement and quality of the speakers, don't expect much from ceiling speakers

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.