Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I don't have Flash installed on my work PC, and I've noticed some inconsistency in the ability to view video content in posted news articles on MacRumors. For example, on the page containing the article and a selection of comments, like this one, the embedded video works fine without Flash:

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/21/a-look-at-american-airlines-ipad-electronic-flight-bag/

However, going to the forum page for the article, where the article appears as the first post, doesn't work the same:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1560063/

Instead, it moans about a plugin being required, and invites you to install Flash. That's not going to happen, so my question is, couldn't we get the same embedding code to be used in the forum article as is already used in the news article?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's because the YouTube tag in the forums uses the old style embed (which supports only Flash) rather than the newer iframe embed that falls back to HTML5. I tried switching it over to iframe, but that broke video sizing in the mobile forums.

So rather than trading one problem for another in a quick fix, I went back to the old style for the time being until we can figure how to make it work for everybody.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It's because the YouTube tag in the forums uses the old style embed (which supports only Flash) rather than the newer iframe embed that falls back to HTML5. I tried switching it over to iframe, but that broke video sizing in the mobile forums.

So rather than trading one problem for another in a quick fix, I went back to the old style for the time being until we can figure how to make it work for everybody.

Switch to xenForo - problem solved :D :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.