Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Verge reports that the first volume of Mari Yamazaki's manga adaption of Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography has launched in Japan, appearing in the May issue of the girl-focused Kiss anthology.
The first thing you'll notice in these opening pages is that Yamazaki has pulled off the artwork beautifully; far from the spiky-haired caricatures that may come to mind when you think of manga, Jobs has been brought to life in a semi-realistic monochrome style that is never off-putting, but stays in the Japanese manga tradition.
jobs_manga_1.jpg
The Verge summarizes this first volume as including fifteen pages of Steve Jobs trying to convince Walter Isaacson to write his biography before jumping into Jobs' childhood and moving through to his college years.
Once Jobs is of college age, Yamazaki swiftly transforms him into the type of character any schoolgirl reader could fall in love with. In one memorable two-page spread, Jobs goes from accepting a bribe of $5 and candy from his influential teacher Imogene Hill, to replying "Sure!" when encouraged to try LSD by a long-haired peer in college corridors.
jobs_manga_2.jpg
The first volume ends as Jobs meets Steve Wozniak for the first time, setting the stage for their partnership and the formation of Apple.

Yahoo has also posted a preview of the first volume showing Jobs and Isaacson discussing the possibility of a Steve Jobs biography.

Article Link: First Volume of Manga Adaptation of Steve Jobs' Biography Launches in Japan

hahaher

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
Damn! What an ugly crap!

Authors know nothing about Steve, Apple, Design and Art at all! Maybe they know how to make manga, but it's nothing about Apple. Please stop it!

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
If Steve Jobs doesn't throw at least three energy fireballs at someone throughout the course of the story, I'll be greatly disappointed.

These icons don't have rounded COOORRRRNNNNEEEERRRRS! :fwooshz:

Possibly the best comment I've read in a year.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Lol, manga comic always have been very dramatic.
would love to see the thermonuclear steve on android :D

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Yahoo has also posted a preview of the first volume showing Jobs and Isaacson discussing the possibility of a Steve Jobs biography.

We already have a Steve Jobs biography and it's terrible.
We don't need a book taking about the making of the biography.

Last edited:

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Wow, why all this negativity? That too about a comic strip? That too before knowing much about it since it is in Japanese. I guess making such snarky comments is considered cool. Twitterific!!

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
People are too used to seeing shounen manga aka manga for teenage boys as "manga". This is intended for an older audience. Not sure which magazine this is published in but it is certainly seinen aka for guys in their 20s/30s or josei aka for woman of the same age range. If I had to guess it would be josei.

edit: nvm I am blind this is published in Kiss which is certainly josei.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.