Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
It's obvious that the next update will come in as little as a few months or even as late as this fall. I'm not really concerned about not having the latest and greatest—that's inevitable. What I'm worried about is that the iPhone 5 being slow and outdated.

Considering your experience with the 5, do you think it'll be outdated quickly? Or is it a safe bet for the next few years?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
It's obvious that the next update will come in as little as a few months or even as late as this fall. I'm not really concerned about not having the latest and greatest—that's inevitable. What I'm worried about is that the iPhone 5 being slow and outdated.

Considering your experience with the 5, do you think it'll be outdated quickly? Or is it a safe bet for the next few years?

Outdated is the iphone 3gs. You will be fine.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.

given that many people still use a 3GS today its a safe bet your iphone 5 will still be kicking in two years time.

having said that, however, you need to keep in mind that the IP 5 is not even the "latest and greatest" by todays standards.

the competition today has double the RAM, double the processor cores, bigger screens as is the market tendency, better ppi resolution, better camera...

i am not trying to steer you away from apple i have an iphone too, but apple is falling behind and you might benefit from looking at other products as well if you intend to keep your phone for the long haul.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
The 4S has more processing power than the OS and the Apps really know what to do with. Adding speed really isn't going to do too much for this phone at this point. I suspect Apple will focus on battery life in their new update. They may not even decide to bump the speed, though maybe they will add more memory.

You will be fine with a 5 as long as you don't plan on holding the phone for longer than three years.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
having said that, however, you need to keep in mind that the IP 5 is not even the "latest and greatest" by todays standards.

It wasn't released yesterday you know. That was six or seven months ago, and its two main competitors aren't even available for sale yet.

the competition today has double the RAM, double the processor cores, bigger screens as is the market tendency, better ppi resolution....

All of which are arguably useless specifications meant to catch consumers and start equally useless forum debates.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Will I regret buying an iPhone 5 now?

It's NOW, March 2013, when it's the "late summer" of the release cycle, for no other reason that when the new one comes, some extra discount will be had for the 5, but don't expect major.

But if you are happy with the 5, u can get it at a discount, and u need one now... live now because a stupid airport sign can fall on you tomorrow. U can always re-sell it. There are always people with tight cash who is OK with last year's phone.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
It wasn't released yesterday you know. That was six or seven months ago, and its two main competitors aren't even available for sale yet.

All of which are arguably useless specifications meant to catch consumers and start equally useless forum debates.

^^^all this...

Most all that 'more of this and more of that' is redundant to the general public. Today's modern cell phone has pretty much peaked, so really you can actually be satisfied with a 4S if you're not caught up in any of these popularity spec contests.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The next iPhone is 3 - 5 months away. I'd get one now if my current smartphone was broken or super outdated. However, if you have an Android or iPhone that is two years old or newer I'd wait.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Mate I am more or less in your situation, I want to upgrade my phone but I fell like that the IPhone 5 with regards to his competitors in only ahead in one thing: the price and to piss me off even more the same price of today in few month can buy me the upgraded version which will not a super upgrade but better than a couple of kicks in the back.
If you have a phone that is working at the moment I would rather waits for the 5s and check that out.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

I've owned every iPhone since the 3G. Each version has gotten better and better and every upgrade has been worth it. I will update to the next one but only because I will have an upgrade due. The 5 is fast and fluid and is hands down the best one yet. Having owned many and always looking for more, I can say that if I didn't have an upgrade due I would be more than happy to wait. It's a fantastic device and if you like iOS and iPhones, you will not be disappointed with this one. No matter when you purchase.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.

i never said it was released yesterday. whats your point? are you trying to justify the IP 5s lower specs? the OP doesn't need that he is buying his phone NOW.

and i wouldnt consider a larger screen and better ppi as "useless specs". it obviously has a considerable impact on many users.

the RAM and processor speed and cores obviously have to be up to par to deal with the OS and what the phone proposes to do.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
@ the OP

I'd wait unless your in dire need of a phone. The next iteration of the iphone will hopefully be better built then the current one.

I've had a white iphone 5 since launch and had to go through 4 phones just to get one that wasn't dented, dinged , or scratched out of the box...Finally got a good one with no blemishes. And just recently lost my phone and had to have it replaced through Asurian for a new one, it's now what 6 months later and the iphone 5 is still coming with dings and scratches on the metal right out of the box...From whats been said, the next one will hopefully be built with much better quality control in mind.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I've owned every iPhone since the 3G, and I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 5S when it's released. However, I do believe the iPhone 5 will still be a great phone once the 5S is released. It'll still be fast and will have most of the features from the upcoming iOS 7. In my opinion, no I don't think it will be slow and outdated.

If you feel comfortable waiting for the 5S, then I would do that. But if you want something now you should go ahead and pull the trigger on the iPhone 5. You can't go wrong either way.

awegew

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013

What's your phone now? Is it causing you problems?

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
What's your phone now? Is it causing you problems?

A Sony Ericsson W580i... It's 5.5 years old. I got right at the beginning of the smartphone revolution. It's why I want to get one.

----------

Dumb to ask us that as you are the only one that can decide.

I know :) Just looking around for opinions based on other's experience.

----------

@ the OP

I'd wait unless your in dire need of a phone. The next iteration of the iphone will hopefully be better built then the current one.

I've had a white iphone 5 since launch and had to go through 4 phones just to get one that wasn't dented, dinged , or scratched out of the box...Finally got a good one with no blemishes. And just recently lost my phone and had to have it replaced through Asurian for a new one, it's now what 6 months later and the iphone 5 is still coming with dings and scratches on the metal right out of the box...From whats been said, the next one will hopefully be built with much better quality control in mind.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully kinks in the production cycle are ironed out by now.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
@ the OP

...From whats been said, the next one will hopefully be built with much better quality control in mind.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully kinks in the production cycle are ironed out by now.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
The 5 will never be slow. It's a powerful device.

There might be something "even" faster, now or in the future, but you will be happy with the 5 unless you're prone to spec-envy.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It's really a subjective matter. I'm still using my 4s and I'm very happy with it. YMMV so it's impossible to tell you and you won't find you answer just by polling others.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
You should be fine, OP. It's just a phone. I own a 4S and honestly don't see anything that special about the 5. I may even skip out entirely on the 5S and just wait for the 6 (assuming there aren't any new phones that convince me to drop Apple altogether).

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
You should be fine, OP. It's just a phone. I own a 4S and honestly don't see anything that special about the 5. I may even skip out entirely on the 5S and just wait for the 6 (assuming there aren't any new phones that convince me to drop Apple altogether).
I held the 4S and 5 in my grubby little hands and ATT and walked out with the 4S. If you can, wait. You'll kick yourself if the 5S comes early or is something more than just an 'S' update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.