Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:28 PM   #1
GermanyChris
Banned

Global Warming? (NOT CLIMATE CHANGE RELATED)

What up with the weather?? It's march 25th and this is what I woke up to. The worst part is we were out on a weekender for my birthday in mid October and it snowed enough to shut down Brenner Pass..It's been a LONG winter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mac Rumors.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	404493  

Last edited by GermanyChris; Mar 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:08 PM   #2
adam044
macrumors 65816

*Global climate change
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Sylon
macrumors 68000

We got a few inches of snow last night into this morning. I'm so sick of this snow. I can't wait for this weekend when all this snow is melted and I can finally put all my summer parts on my car that have been piling up in my house.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
*Global climate change
sarcasm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:17 PM   #5
dukebound85
macrumors P6

You know, with global warming, there will be increased precip, including snow.

It doesn't have to be that cold to snow....
dukebound85 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:22 PM   #6
notjustjay
macrumors 603

No sympathy from this Canadian. It's only March. Of course there's still snow

Wait till May, then we'll talk. Even then, some places do see snow then...
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:28 PM   #7
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
No sympathy from this Canadian. It's only March. Of course there's still snow

Wait till May, then we'll talk. Even then, some places do see snow then...
When I was a stationed at Ft. Drum I came back from Afghanistan on Mothers day 2002 and the airfield was snowed in..You Canucks get you share of white stuff..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
You know, with global warming, there will be increased precip, including snow.

It doesn't have to be that cold to snow....
See above post
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:43 PM   #8
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816

I work at a golf course in Massachusetts and the snow needs to stop so I can go back to work! I love my job and this is my last year there.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:16 AM   #9
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
Theres two before and after shots.
The higher temps are from this time last year and same with the green willow tree!

Crazy year so far!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1535.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	470.3 KB
ID:	404798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8844.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	404799   Click image for larger version

Name:	weather1213.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	404800  

kirky29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:28 AM   #10
quasinormal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
sarcasm
I feel you are being a little too literal.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/clim...al-warming.htm

If you think you can contradict the consensus of the scientific community, go right ahead. Best of luck there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scienti...climate_change
quasinormal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Vandefilm
macrumors regular

Well, the scientific community also concluded in 1930 that jews were the next step from apes to humans... They also concluded in the middle ages that the earth was flat and it's usually the scientific community who hangs the new einsteins of this world (including einstein himself).
The scientific community can kiss my ***. The seem to forget that not to long ago we had a mini ice age and they start jumping up and down when a bit of ice melts. Well, also not to long ago most of Holland (where I live) was covered in ice.
That whole global warming ******** is only to scare people. Same as the use of resources from the earth. And what did we found just recently? A gasbubble that holds more gas than all of the rest that we know of in the world! Well, what do you know...
Scientists are right until the next discovery that proves them wrong.

(ofcourse there are also good hearted scientists who do contribute to the world).
Vandefilm is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:01 PM   #12
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
What up with the weather?? It's march 25th and ... ...It's been a LONG winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
*Global climate change
Here's another scary thought.... If 2013 ends up being even close to how hot it has been lately (for the entire year) think about how stifling hot it will have to be this summer to average out the winter. At least in Canada longterm forecasts are calling for a hotter than average summer. Again.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandefilm View Post
Well, the scientific community also concluded in 1930 that jews were the next step from apes to humans... ....).
No, they didn't. Some ugly genocidal racists decided that to justify their hate, and made up the pseudo-science to support what they wanted to believe. There was no independent experiments conducted that could be verified by other scientists, and then the results peer reviewed and published in credible scientific journals.

Unlike climate change. The science on climate change might still be wrong, but at least it is science and it is the best understanding we have at the moment.

Perhaps you'd like to remove that rather unfortunate and problematic statement?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:03 PM   #13
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Average global temperatures are rising.

This destabilizes the balance and we will get more extreme swings in weather (we got a record cold day in Orlando yesterday). There was record heat in upper Midwest last summer. The times they are a-changin', like it or not.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:18 PM   #14
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasinormal View Post
I feel you are being a little too literal.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/clim...al-warming.htm

If you think you can contradict the consensus of the scientific community, go right ahead. Best of luck there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scienti...climate_change
I'm not being anything, I'm expressing my exasperation of a VERY long winter..It was meant to be light hearted. I didn't intend to pee in your Wheaties..
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:02 PM   #15
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
I'm not being anything, I'm expressing my exasperation of a VERY long winter..It was meant to be light hearted. I didn't intend to pee in your Wheaties..
Haven't you heard? Joking about the weather has been banned. Must have been announced.... last October I think......
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:48 PM   #16
heehee
macrumors 68020

I'm guessing you haven't seen The Day After Tomorrow?
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:50 PM   #17
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
What up with the weather?? It's march 25th and this is what I woke up to. The worst part is we were out on a weekender for my birthday in mid October and it snowed enough to shut down Brenner Pass..It's been a LONG winter
Here in Alberta, we have had over a foot of snow just in the last week. They are actually plowing our side street as I post this. Still have close to 2 feet of snow still in my yard. Can't complain though as the rest of our winter has been pretty decent. Photos below front and back of house.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winter1.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	404840   Click image for larger version

Name:	winter.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	404841  
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:53 PM   #18
quasinormal
Banned

Quote:
I wondered why you posted in the picture gallery forum, rather than the political forum. Your thread title put me off. My apologies for the misunderstanding and for provoking that unfortunate Nazi reference.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:22 PM   #19
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasinormal View Post
I wondered why you posted in the picture gallery forum, rather than the political forum. Your thread title put me off. My apologies for the misunderstanding and for provoking that unfortunate Nazi reference.
No harm no foul..

I've been studiously avoiding PRSI it's been putting me in a bad mood

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Here in Alberta, we have had over a foot of snow just in the last week. They are actually plowing our side street as I post this. Still have close to 2 feet of snow still in my yard. Can't complain though as the rest of our winter has been pretty decent. Photos below front and back of house.
I am truly sorry!!

Snow's OK for a bit but I'm more than ready for spring
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

I haven't seen snow in the city once this year. Lately it's been more like what passes for summer around here. I'm not complaining one bit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	404852  
Orange Crane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:11 PM   #21
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
No, they didn't. Some ugly genocidal racists decided that to justify their hate, and made up the pseudo-science to support what they wanted to believe. There was no independent experiments conducted that could be verified by other scientists, and then the results peer reviewed and published in credible scientific journals.

Unlike climate change. The science on climate change might still be wrong, but at least it is science and it is the best understanding we have at the moment.

Perhaps you'd like to remove that rather unfortunate and problematic statement?
Well said!!!

Science requires repetitious replication and review!! (and incredible alliteration, too)
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:45 PM   #22
alphaod
macrumors Core

Just in a last month, we had snow, then warm weather, than rain, then snow again, then warm weather again. Just two days ago, we had heavy rain, and then at night my rear wiper froze on my car and when I used it to clear the water, it damaged the wiper blade enough that I needed a replacement.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:46 PM   #23
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Well said!!!

Science requires repetitious replication and review!! (and incredible alliteration, too)
And, apparently, pirates..... Rrrrrrr! Matey!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:01 PM   #24
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Global warming is a bunch of bull. The world goes through cycles over the course of hundreds, if not thousands of years. If you buy into Al Gore, Darrel Hanna, and other brain dead human beings, I feel sorry for you
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:29 PM   #25
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
Global warming is a bunch of bull. The world goes through cycles over the course of hundreds, if not thousands of years. If you buy into Al Gore, Darrel Hanna, and other brain dead human beings, I feel sorry for you
Thanks for the sympathy.

Your compelling scientific, carefully reasoned, and infallibly logical argument has certainly changed my mind...as well as the majority of climate scientists.

I think that beautifully reasoned "bunch of bull" argument was what tipped it for me.

Well done!!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues