Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:28 PM   #1
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Global Warming? (NOT CLIMATE CHANGE RELATED)

What up with the weather?? It's march 25th and this is what I woke up to. The worst part is we were out on a weekender for my birthday in mid October and it snowed enough to shut down Brenner Pass..It's been a LONG winter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mac Rumors.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	404493  

Last edited by GermanyChris; Mar 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:08 PM   #2
adam044
macrumors 65816
 
adam044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
*Global climate change
__________________
13" Late 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz > iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey AT&T > iPad 4 > Apple TV 3
adam044 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Sylon
macrumors 68000
 
Sylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan/Ohio, USA
We got a few inches of snow last night into this morning. I'm so sick of this snow. I can't wait for this weekend when all this snow is melted and I can finally put all my summer parts on my car that have been piling up in my house.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro | 64GB iPhone 6 | 32GB iPad Air | TV
Sylon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4
GermanyChris
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
*Global climate change
sarcasm
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:17 PM   #5
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
You know, with global warming, there will be increased precip, including snow.

It doesn't have to be that cold to snow....
dukebound85 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:22 PM   #6
notjustjay
macrumors 603
 
notjustjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
No sympathy from this Canadian. It's only March. Of course there's still snow

Wait till May, then we'll talk. Even then, some places do see snow then...
__________________
.
notjustjay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:28 PM   #7
GermanyChris
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
No sympathy from this Canadian. It's only March. Of course there's still snow

Wait till May, then we'll talk. Even then, some places do see snow then...
When I was a stationed at Ft. Drum I came back from Afghanistan on Mothers day 2002 and the airfield was snowed in..You Canucks get you share of white stuff..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
You know, with global warming, there will be increased precip, including snow.

It doesn't have to be that cold to snow....
See above post
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:43 PM   #8
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816
 
bobfitz14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
I work at a golf course in Massachusetts and the snow needs to stop so I can go back to work! I love my job and this is my last year there.
__________________
2012 MBP 15" {2.3GHz i7, 10GB, 500GB} iPhone 5S {VZW, 16GB, space gray}
Retired: 2010 MBP 13" {2.4GHz C2D} -- iPhone 5 64GB -- iPhone 4S 64GB -- iPod Touch 32GB -- iPod Video 30GB
bobfitz14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:16 AM   #9
kirky29
macrumors 65816
 
kirky29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lincolnshire, England
Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
Theres two before and after shots.
The higher temps are from this time last year and same with the green willow tree!

Crazy year so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1535.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	470.3 KB
ID:	404798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8844.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	404799   Click image for larger version

Name:	weather1213.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	404800  

__________________
27" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz i7 2011, iPhone 5 16GB - iPad 1/2/3/Mini - 24" Cinema Display,
Apple Magic Mouse, Trackpad, Time Machine, Apple TV,
| Check out my flickr |
kirky29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:28 AM   #10
quasinormal
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
sarcasm
I feel you are being a little too literal.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/clim...al-warming.htm

If you think you can contradict the consensus of the scientific community, go right ahead. Best of luck there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scienti...climate_change
quasinormal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Vandefilm
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Well, the scientific community also concluded in 1930 that jews were the next step from apes to humans... They also concluded in the middle ages that the earth was flat and it's usually the scientific community who hangs the new einsteins of this world (including einstein himself).
The scientific community can kiss my ***. The seem to forget that not to long ago we had a mini ice age and they start jumping up and down when a bit of ice melts. Well, also not to long ago most of Holland (where I live) was covered in ice.
That whole global warming ******** is only to scare people. Same as the use of resources from the earth. And what did we found just recently? A gasbubble that holds more gas than all of the rest that we know of in the world! Well, what do you know...
Scientists are right until the next discovery that proves them wrong.

(ofcourse there are also good hearted scientists who do contribute to the world).
Vandefilm is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:01 PM   #12
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
What up with the weather?? It's march 25th and ... ...It's been a LONG winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
*Global climate change
Here's another scary thought.... If 2013 ends up being even close to how hot it has been lately (for the entire year) think about how stifling hot it will have to be this summer to average out the winter. At least in Canada longterm forecasts are calling for a hotter than average summer. Again.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandefilm View Post
Well, the scientific community also concluded in 1930 that jews were the next step from apes to humans... ....).
No, they didn't. Some ugly genocidal racists decided that to justify their hate, and made up the pseudo-science to support what they wanted to believe. There was no independent experiments conducted that could be verified by other scientists, and then the results peer reviewed and published in credible scientific journals.

Unlike climate change. The science on climate change might still be wrong, but at least it is science and it is the best understanding we have at the moment.

Perhaps you'd like to remove that rather unfortunate and problematic statement?
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:03 PM   #13
eawmp1
macrumors 601
 
eawmp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FL
Average global temperatures are rising.

This destabilizes the balance and we will get more extreme swings in weather (we got a record cold day in Orlando yesterday). There was record heat in upper Midwest last summer. The times they are a-changin', like it or not.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:18 PM   #14
GermanyChris
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasinormal View Post
I feel you are being a little too literal.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/clim...al-warming.htm

If you think you can contradict the consensus of the scientific community, go right ahead. Best of luck there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scienti...climate_change
I'm not being anything, I'm expressing my exasperation of a VERY long winter..It was meant to be light hearted. I didn't intend to pee in your Wheaties..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:02 PM   #15
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
I'm not being anything, I'm expressing my exasperation of a VERY long winter..It was meant to be light hearted. I didn't intend to pee in your Wheaties..
Haven't you heard? Joking about the weather has been banned. Must have been announced.... last October I think......
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:48 PM   #16
heehee
macrumors 68020
 
heehee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Same country as Santa Claus
I'm guessing you haven't seen The Day After Tomorrow?
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:50 PM   #17
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
What up with the weather?? It's march 25th and this is what I woke up to. The worst part is we were out on a weekender for my birthday in mid October and it snowed enough to shut down Brenner Pass..It's been a LONG winter
Here in Alberta, we have had over a foot of snow just in the last week. They are actually plowing our side street as I post this. Still have close to 2 feet of snow still in my yard. Can't complain though as the rest of our winter has been pretty decent. Photos below front and back of house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter1.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	404840   Click image for larger version

Name:	winter.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	404841  
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:53 PM   #18
quasinormal
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
I'm not being anything, I'm expressing my exasperation of a VERY long winter..It was meant to be light hearted. I didn't intend to pee in your Wheaties..
I wondered why you posted in the picture gallery forum, rather than the political forum. Your thread title put me off. My apologies for the misunderstanding and for provoking that unfortunate Nazi reference.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:22 PM   #19
GermanyChris
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasinormal View Post
I wondered why you posted in the picture gallery forum, rather than the political forum. Your thread title put me off. My apologies for the misunderstanding and for provoking that unfortunate Nazi reference.
No harm no foul..

I've been studiously avoiding PRSI it's been putting me in a bad mood

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Here in Alberta, we have had over a foot of snow just in the last week. They are actually plowing our side street as I post this. Still have close to 2 feet of snow still in my yard. Can't complain though as the rest of our winter has been pretty decent. Photos below front and back of house.
I am truly sorry!!

Snow's OK for a bit but I'm more than ready for spring
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I haven't seen snow in the city once this year. Lately it's been more like what passes for summer around here. I'm not complaining one bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	404852  
Orange Crane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:11 PM   #21
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
No, they didn't. Some ugly genocidal racists decided that to justify their hate, and made up the pseudo-science to support what they wanted to believe. There was no independent experiments conducted that could be verified by other scientists, and then the results peer reviewed and published in credible scientific journals.

Unlike climate change. The science on climate change might still be wrong, but at least it is science and it is the best understanding we have at the moment.

Perhaps you'd like to remove that rather unfortunate and problematic statement?
Well said!!!

Science requires repetitious replication and review!! (and incredible alliteration, too)
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:45 PM   #22
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Just in a last month, we had snow, then warm weather, than rain, then snow again, then warm weather again. Just two days ago, we had heavy rain, and then at night my rear wiper froze on my car and when I used it to clear the water, it damaged the wiper blade enough that I needed a replacement.
__________________
Mac Pro | Mac mini | 15" MacBook Pro | iPad Air | iPhone 6
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:46 PM   #23
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Well said!!!

Science requires repetitious replication and review!! (and incredible alliteration, too)
And, apparently, pirates..... Rrrrrrr! Matey!
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:01 PM   #24
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. McMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Global warming is a bunch of bull. The world goes through cycles over the course of hundreds, if not thousands of years. If you buy into Al Gore, Darrel Hanna, and other brain dead human beings, I feel sorry for you
__________________
Mid 2011 Base Mac Mini running Mavericks w/ 8GB of RAM, 2 TB Seagate Expansion USB HD, 46" Samsung Display, Logitech K750 Wireless Keyboard w/ Anywhere MX Mouse, Airport Express
Mr. McMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:29 PM   #25
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
Global warming is a bunch of bull. The world goes through cycles over the course of hundreds, if not thousands of years. If you buy into Al Gore, Darrel Hanna, and other brain dead human beings, I feel sorry for you
Thanks for the sympathy.

Your compelling scientific, carefully reasoned, and infallibly logical argument has certainly changed my mind...as well as the majority of climate scientists.

I think that beautifully reasoned "bunch of bull" argument was what tipped it for me.

Well done!!

__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   5 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cars and Global Warming Poll tshrimp Politics, Religion, Social Issues 125 May 20, 2014 01:20 AM
Climate Earth 3D - Global weather presented in a way never seen before! betaphi iPhone and iPod touch Apps 3 Feb 24, 2014 03:25 PM
Climate Earth 3D - Global weather presented in a way never seen before! betaphi iPad Apps 4 Feb 24, 2014 10:43 AM
It must be global warming!!! tshrimp Politics, Religion, Social Issues 73 May 28, 2013 10:32 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC