Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

Best Aperture Preset to obtain this image composition

OK so I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place, but here goes.

Can anyone recommend an either free or paid preset that would make a normal DSLR colour image look more like the attached one, below?

So, grainy, black and white, noisy etc.

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 20.35.30.png
Views:	280
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	404494  
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davmeister View Post
OK so I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place, but here goes.

Can anyone recommend an either free or paid preset that would make a normal DSLR colour image look more like the attached one, below?

So, grainy, black and white, noisy etc.

Many thanks.
Well, you won't be able to obtain this "composition" through software, but I assume you meant the processing of the image.

Just use Aperture and convert it to B&W or use Nik's Silver Efex Pro. Nothing special going on here.
Razeus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Batteman87
macrumors member

I like...

I use both Topaz and Nik. The new price drop with Nik is great but Topaz new B&W 2 is pretty awesome. You can see some examples on how we use them on our photography blog AikenHDR.com. We also list the the software we use with some discount codes but I suggest the FREE trial downloads before you buy anything. They both have 15-30 day trial. Both also work great in aperture or the photoshop programs.
Batteman87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4
snberk103
macrumors 603

There's a moire pattern visible.... I suspect that photo was scanned from a magazine or similar process.

I've only just started to try out the Nik plugins - is there an 'add moire' effect with them?

Except for the moire, Lightroom can create that look without the use of the Nik plugins (though I assume the plugin make it simpler). I suspect that Aperture will also have this native functionality... you just have to figure out which set of sliders are required. It's a bit of colour, a bit of softness, tweak the curve and contrast, and an add grain.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

Thanks for advice all. I'll try some of your stuff out. Maybe I should get an SLR......
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6
acearchie
macrumors 68040

Check out the VSCO film presets for lightroom/aperture.

They emulate classic film stocks and since your original image looks like it was taken on film it would probably be a good start.
acearchie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

OnOnes Perfect Black & White has some nice B & W presets and is worth a look. Also plus one for Nik Silver Efex Pro.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Beau Nash
macrumors newbie

It looks like it's been split-toned too. In Aperture, you can use a double instance of the "Enhance" brick, desaturate in the first and then use the colour discs to differentially tone shadows (greys and blacks) and highlights (whites) in the second brick. To me, and on this screen, it looks like a subtle cream in the highlights/subtle magenta in the shadows split.

Unfortunately, you can't add grain in Aperture 3 without a plugin.

I'm an onOne Suite 7 fan myself.
Beau Nash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Nash View Post
It looks like it's been split-toned too. In Aperture, you can use a double instance of the "Enhance" brick, desaturate in the first and then use the colour discs to differentially tone shadows (greys and blacks) and highlights (whites) in the second brick. To me, and on this screen, it looks like a subtle cream in the highlights/subtle magenta in the shadows split.

Yes I noticed there was no grain option. Having to switch back on forth to CS6 which is a pain...your method works quite nicely though.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:29 PM   #10
righteye
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
There's a moire pattern visible.... I suspect that photo was scanned from a magazine or similar process.

I've only just started to try out the Nik plugins - is there an 'add moire' effect with them?

Except for the moire, Lightroom can create that look without the use of the Nik plugins (though I assume the plugin make it simpler). I suspect that Aperture will also have this native functionality... you just have to figure out which set of sliders are required. It's a bit of colour, a bit of softness, tweak the curve and contrast, and an add grain.

The only Moire pattern i can see is over the Mans face which makes me think it might be a finger print if it was scanned from an old print.
Silver Efex pro 2 is the goto B&W tool for many photographers and although the competition has caught up i would say SEP2 is till the best at the moment plus the ridiculously low price of the Nik software makes it a no brainer at the moment.

Last edited by righteye; Mar 30, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
righteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:45 PM   #11
righteye
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Nash View Post

Me too, in many instances one preset click in perfect effects is enough to get a nice result.

For Nik SEP2 users there are about 30 free presets from the preset competition that Outback photo held a couple of years ago, see link below.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_...P2_Contest_01/

Last edited by righteye; Mar 30, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:50 PM   #12
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteye View Post
The only Moire pattern i can see is over the Mans face which makes me think it might be a finger print if it was scanned from an old print.....
Looked at it again, and it could well be a fingerprint. On the neg, at that size. Love the know where the original print is from.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:14 PM   #13
righteye
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Looked at it again, and it could well be a fingerprint. On the neg, at that size. Love the know where the original print is from.
Has a BBC logo on it i'm guessing an old TV program but i have to say i do not recognise the People in the photo or indeed the program it may have been, i'm getting on in years but this may be before my time (do not see many chaps with a tash like that these days in the UK)
It would be interesting as you say to know more about the image.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:16 PM   #14
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davmeister View Post
..Having to switch back on forth to CS6 which is a pain...your method works quite nicely though.
Tell Aperture to use Adobe PS as the "Default Editor" then switching is pretty much seamless. It's in Preferences
ChrisA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Tell Aperture to use Adobe PS as the "Default Editor" then switching is pretty much seamless. It's in Preferences
Already have done this. Still a bit slow preparing image and opening app etc. just would be nice to be 'all in one'. I use batches for more than +1 images

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteye View Post
Has a BBC logo on it i'm guessing an old TV program but i have to say i do not recognise the People in the photo or indeed the program it may have been, i'm getting on in years but this may be before my time (do not see many chaps with a tash like that these days in the UK)
It would be interesting as you say to know more about the image.
Screenshot from a recent program on 'Project Nim'. Interesting (and cruel). Another great BBC production.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfilms/film/project_nim
Davmeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:38 PM   #16
twitch31
macrumors regular

The best way to get this film look is to shoot it with a film camera. It's never been cheaper to buy a good film camera, load it up with some XP2 or BW400CN and shoot some authentic B&W images.
twitch31 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:29 AM   #17
Beau Nash
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch31 View Post
The best way to get this film look is to shoot it with a film camera. It's never been cheaper to buy a good film camera, load it up with some XP2 or BW400CN and shoot some authentic B&W images.
Where's the fun in that?

*whistles nonchalantly*
Beau Nash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 06:36 PM   #18
shutterstation
macrumors newbie

You can convert to black & white in Aperture using the B&W adjustment brick. And then you can further modify the tonality with the Colour brick and also the Curves brick (by changing the curves for each colour independently). If you want to add film-like grain on top of that, I have a free preset you can download that emulates ISO400 film.
shutterstation is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 09:53 AM   #19
Edge100
macrumors 68000

Film. You're going to need film.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:03 PM   #20
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterstation View Post
You can convert to black & white in Aperture using the B&W adjustment brick. And then you can further modify the tonality with the Colour brick and also the Curves brick (by changing the curves for each colour independently). If you want to add film-like grain on top of that, I have a free preset you can download that emulates ISO400 film.
Lovely! Downloading now

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography