Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Google Releases $149 Nik Software Plug-in Bundle for Photoshop, Lightroom, and Aperture




Back in September, Google purchased Nik Software of Snapseed fame. In addition to being the team behind the iOS photo editing app that was named Apple's 2011 iPad App of the Year, Nik Software also produces several plug-ins for professional image editing applications like Aperture, Lightroom, and Photoshop.


As of today, Nik's plug-ins are available as a single bundle, which is priced at $149, a significant discount from the original $499 price tag. Rebranded the "Nik Collection by Google," the bundle includes HDR Efex Pro 2, Silver Efex Pro 2, Sharpener Pro 3, Color Efex Pro 4, Viveza 2, and Dfine 2.

The collection, which is offered for all three popular photo editing platforms, includes tools for creating HDR images, reducing photo noise, producing black and white photos, and making minute color adjustments.

New users can purchase the bundle via the Nik Software website, or access a free 15-day trial.*Existing Nik users will be upgraded to the entire Nik collection for free, through an email that will be sent out in the next few days.

Article Link: Google Releases $149 Nik Software Plug-in Bundle for Photoshop, Lightroom, and Aperture
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2
rageguy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Use coupon code DZISER to drop the price further down to $126.
rageguy is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:13 PM   #3
madbard
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Why does Google want to get into the selling software business?
madbard is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Radio
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
This is great news for the community .

Thank you Google.
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:20 PM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbard View Post
Why does Google want to get into the selling software business?
So that all the software engineers at NIK can get a paycheck.
ChrisA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:33 PM   #6
e-coli
macrumors 68000
 
e-coli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Didn't most everybody switch to VSCO a long time ago?
e-coli is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:38 PM   #7
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Western USA
I used to use NIK software for much of my workflow... since Google acquired it, I've shifted over to VSCO and other tools.

Just say no to supporting datamining companies that sell your personal information to whoever wants it.
DesterWallaboo is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:43 PM   #8
HiRez
macrumors 601
 
HiRez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Western US
The only reasonable way to read this is that they're killing this software, which is a shame. I'm sure they will use the technology elsewhere, but I think this spells the end of the Nik packages as we know them. I can't see Google being in the business of maintaining and selling this software, it's not what they do.

Too bad Adobe didn't buy them and integrate Nik's tools directly into Lightroom, that would have been amazing.
__________________
Go outside, the graphics are amazing!
HiRez is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:05 PM   #9
r.harris1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
The only reasonable way to read this is that they're killing this software, which is a shame. I'm sure they will use the technology elsewhere, but I think this spells the end of the Nik packages as we know them. I can't see Google being in the business of maintaining and selling this software, it's not what they do.

Too bad Adobe didn't buy them and integrate Nik's tools directly into Lightroom, that would have been amazing.
I'm not really sure I agree, only because they put some non trivial work into this release by packaging up the suite into one installer and unified licenses, which wasn't true when I originally bought it. I think they're also responding to onOne's recent promotion, which was essentially "we'll always be here, when others won't" (no names, of course ) and responding to other criticism. Now, that said, google will drop software at the drop of a hat so we'll have to see, but I guess I view this as more positive than negative.
r.harris1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:05 PM   #10
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816
 
ijohn.8.80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Looks like Google could go two ways with this:
  1. Rip the guts out of the Nik Bundle and use it for themselves only on the X Phone as their version of the instagram thingy, stopping sales and support of the bundle along the way
  2. Do the aforementioned and keep the bundle package selling also
__________________
YouTube is not the resurrection of Dada
ijohn.8.80 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Mike Oxard
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Bugger, bought it about six weeks ago for the full price minus the usual discount
Mike Oxard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:18 PM   #12
audio_inside
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boulder CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Too bad Adobe didn't buy them and integrate Nik's tools directly into Lightroom, that would have been amazing.
Too bad Apple didn't buy them and integrate Nik's tools directly into Aperture and release it as 4.0.
audio_inside is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Saladinos
macrumors 68000
 
Saladinos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Google are having a bit of a trust problem at the moment, aren't they?

Ever since Reader, people seem less willing to invest time learning how to use their products and depending on them, since they feel Google is far too willing to let popular and needed products die.

You expect that with paid software (such as this); nobody's going to pay cash money for a product with no future. The sharp discount could be interpreted either as a push for growth, or a fire-sale for a suite that will stagnate.

What's more interesting is that we're starting to see it with Google's "free" services. I've always wondered what would happen long-term to the ad-supported, zero-cost software model Google pushes. I'm not convinced that you can totally finance the entire world with advertisements, and I think it's far more restrictive in terms of competition.

Now it seems Google might have started the rot themselves. I've seen a lot of bashing of the new 'Google Ideas' app because people feel Evernote more reliable in the long-term, for example.

Google need to defuse the feeling of medium/long-term uncertainty around their products. It's suddenly emerged to become the biggest threat to their business. If it continues, there's a risk that people won't listen to them or worse, won't believe them.
Saladinos is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:37 PM   #14
fsck-y dingo
macrumors 65816
 
fsck-y dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxard View Post
Bugger, bought it about six weeks ago for the full price minus the usual discount
Double check to be sure that it was six weeks ago. If it was on or after Feb 22nd you're able to get some money back.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/445...ftware-plugins

From the link above:

"If you previously bought any of these plugins, Google isnít going to leave you in the cold for already having dropped a lot of money. If you purchased any individual plugin within the last five years, you get the entire collection for free. If you spent more than $149 on plugins since February 22nd of this year, youíll be refunded the difference."

The article also mentions that this software will continue to be developed further so it's not the end for this plugin package.
fsck-y dingo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:48 PM   #15
jinxedluck84
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Is there anything out there that is comparable to Nik? I'm a long time user of their plugins but with the Google acquisition and some other little things (like the lack of a Retina update), I find myself back in the market.

I've played around with DxO Optics Pro and Capture One Pro but neither really fit the bill for me (and VSCO looks like its just filters and film replication).
__________________
Life | Family | Friends | Photography | Automotive | Drums

MacBook Pro (Retina) | iPhone 5 | Apple TV (3rd gen.)
jinxedluck84 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:53 PM   #16
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesterWallaboo View Post

Just say no to supporting datamining companies that sell your personal information to whoever wants it.
What personal information do you believe Google sells to whoever wants it. I'd love to hear this...
samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:07 PM   #17
needfx
macrumors 68020
 
needfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: macrumors apparently
what? no particles?
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:46 PM   #18
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020
 
mdriftmeyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbard View Post
Why does Google want to get into the selling software business?
Probably to avoid the inevitable collapse of their smartphone business without suites of software.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio_inside View Post
Too bad Apple didn't buy them and integrate Nik's tools directly into Aperture and release it as 4.0.
Probably because anything Nik can do [and borrow from FOSS] Adobe and Apple can do themselves and not charge and additional $149 for said services, but integrate them and extend a public API for them.
mdriftmeyer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:50 PM   #19
Razeus
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
This a boon for me as I only had the LR version. Now I can use it photoshop all at once via layers instead of creating a tiff for each product since LR only let's you work with one app at a time and creates a brand new file each time.

However, giving a $500 software for $150, I fear we may be near the end of closing this product down for good. Get it while you can guys.
__________________

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:34 PM   #20
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsck-y dingo View Post

"If you previously bought any of these plugins, Google isnít going to leave you in the cold for already having dropped a lot of money. If you purchased any individual plugin within the last five years, you get the entire collection for free. If you spent more than $149 on plugins since February 22nd of this year, youíll be refunded the difference."

.
Hmm I wonder how they will be tracking this. About a year ago I was given free copies of a couple of the filters by Nik to try out. If they are going by serials I might end up getting the rest of them. Although at that price I don't mind paying if I must
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:16 PM   #21
tech4all
macrumors 68040
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesterWallaboo View Post
I used to use NIK software for much of my workflow... since Google acquired it, I've shifted over to VSCO and other tools.

Just say no to supporting datamining companies that sell your personal information to whoever wants it.
Yup you sure showed Google

Better get rid of your Mac and iPhone...Apples gonna get you to!
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:26 PM   #22
tekboi
macrumors 6502a
 
tekboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Orleans ✈ WesŦward
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesterWallaboo View Post
I used to use NIK software for much of my workflow... since Google acquired it, I've shifted over to VSCO and other tools.

Just say no to supporting datamining companies that sell your personal information to whoever wants it.
Dude, you're not hurting anybody but yourself with that logic. Pretty sure Google is not missing your money.
__________________
PowerMac G4 | iMac 27" | Macbook Pro | iPad | iPhone | Thunderbolt Display
---
My Site | Facebook | My Twitter
tekboi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:30 PM   #23
chris2kari
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladinos View Post
Google are having a bit of a trust problem at the moment, aren't they?

Ever since Reader, people seem less willing to invest time learning how to use their products and depending on them, since they feel Google is far too willing to let popular and needed products die.

You expect that with paid software (such as this); nobody's going to pay cash money for a product with no future. The sharp discount could be interpreted either as a push for growth, or a fire-sale for a suite that will stagnate.

What's more interesting is that we're starting to see it with Google's "free" services. I've always wondered what would happen long-term to the ad-supported, zero-cost software model Google pushes. I'm not convinced that you can totally finance the entire world with advertisements, and I think it's far more restrictive in terms of competition.

Now it seems Google might have started the rot themselves. I've seen a lot of bashing of the new 'Google Ideas' app because people feel Evernote more reliable in the long-term, for example.

Google need to defuse the feeling of medium/long-term uncertainty around their products. It's suddenly emerged to become the biggest threat to their business. If it continues, there's a risk that people won't listen to them or worse, won't believe them.
Agreed.
I've been an enthusiastic proponent of Google for a long time but find myself weary of the constant churn of products & services together with an increasing feeling of uneasiness about relying on them for my services.
I saw the writing on the wall 6 months ago & switched from Reader to Feedly+Pocket (and happy with the change thank you). I have a free Google apps account, new sign ups have been discontinued. I'm now getting emails from Google 'inviting' me to 'upgrade' to a paid Google apps business account.. The writing is on the wall, obviously the free accounts will canned altogether soon so I'm window shopping another solution. Gotta say Microsoft's Outlook.com is much slicker than Gmail. Google Docs/Drive has been neutered by only editing in their stupid proprietary format and requiring an insane 4 step process to round trip the files to my machine for editing otherwise.. A free Sky drive account allows slick native editing of Microsoft's file formats (which are ubiquitous & unavoidable).
As the value equation changes I'm surprised to find myself migrating off their platform. They need to do a lot better.
Preparing for life after Google..
chris2kari is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:56 AM   #24
Battlefield Fan
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio_inside View Post
Too bad Apple didn't buy them and integrate Nik's tools directly into Aperture and release it as 4.0.
Agreed. 4.0 is long overdue.
Battlefield Fan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:16 AM   #25
Zaqfalcon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
This is quite good news, at least it hasn't been swept completely under the carpet, for now. It's a great suite of plugins, much more versatile and than VSCO in my opinion, the only pity is it saves as Tiffs not into a new Raw block. Yes it would've been nicer if Apple had bought them and integrated with Aperture but no need to cry over spilt milk. I hope Google improve the update method, it was rather clunky before. I bought the Collection previously but haven't updated the ColorEfex element to number 4 since that came out, getting it for free would be a nice bonus.
Zaqfalcon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aperture problem copying over edits in nik software rchip Digital Photography 0 Sep 21, 2013 07:53 AM
NIK Software bundle mega reduction righteye Digital Photography 1 Mar 30, 2013 10:57 AM
Nik Software Complete Set Now $149 acearchie Digital Photography 2 Mar 26, 2013 06:02 PM
Google buys Nik Software r.harris1 Digital Photography 10 Sep 18, 2012 08:06 AM
Using Nik Software with Aperture? Mac In School Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Jun 14, 2012 02:40 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps