Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9th Wonder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
Currently, I am having second thoughts about my current iPhone 5, which is in the white and silver color configuration. As much as I like the elegance and appealing atheistic look, the black and slate version just looks plain bad-ass. IMO, the black looks more sleek and stealth, but I am really concerned with the potential in-box scratches.

Should I just stick it out and keep the white/silver iPhone 5 and its classiness , or go to the Apple store and return it for something out of The Dark Knight?

Another thing to note in my situation is that I will be forced to use this iPhone 5 for the next three years as I have decided to go contract-less + unlocked. Longevity of the phone is a must.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Currently, I am having second thoughts about my current iPhone 5, which is in the white and silver color configuration. As much as I like the elegance and appealing atheistic look, the black and slate version just looks plain bad-ass. IMO, the black looks more sleek and stealth, but I am really concerned with the potential in-box scratches.

Should I just stick it out and keep the white/silver iPhone 5 and its classiness , or go to the Apple store and return it for something out of The Dark Knight?

Another thing to note in my situation is that I will be forced to use this iPhone 5 for the next three years as I have decided to go contract-less + unlocked. Longevity of the phone is a must.

Are you still within 14 day return period?

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
I have the white one and had to go through 4 boxes to get one that didn't have dings and scratches on either the rear aluminum or dings on the chamfered edges.

My lady has the black one and it was perfect out of the box and has been in a Diztronic TPU case since she got it and it somehow still managed to get a few nicks even while in the case...lol

It's a catch 22 either way...both will get nicked and scratched, just go with what u like more.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
Personally if your heart is going with the black go with the black&slate color . End of story . I had the black since launched and loved it . Sold it for $620 on Craigslist this weekend and found a brand new white and silver for $500 new hehehe. Long story short, I love the white one . Sleek and elegant looks really awesome . I like how my "black" color keyboard from cydia looks with the black and white combination #

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I have the white iphone 4 which I think looks better than the white 5 so I couldn't really be pressed to buy it. So went with the black for the 5. I love the sleek look, especially when its naked the lcd completely blends with the device so it looks like one flat piece of slate, unlike the black lcd on the white's glass. I would exchange it now before it's too late if you really wanted. Then again, if you really wanted it you probably would have bought that the first time.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
...has been in a Diztronic TPU case since she got it and it somehow still managed to get a few nicks even while in the case...lol

It's a catch 22 either way...both will get nicked and scratched, just go with what u like more.

You are absolutely correct and this has been my experience as well. I didn't want to believe one of the apple employees who told me this, but experience proves this is correct.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have the black iPhone 5 now, but have really started to like the white..I've put a posting on Craigslist asking for a trade (my black for someone's white), and I've gotten a few bites.

My fiancee thinks I should just stick with what I have, but it's so tempting. I had a black 4S, and have had this black 5 since late September.

Any advice? Thoughts?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

I have a black 4S, but I prefer the white on the 5 for some reason. The white on that 5 looks very Apple, more so, than the Black - just my opinion and observation. But if your instincts is telling you black, you have to follow that. I'm planning on getting my parents a 5 or 5S, unlocked at T-Mobile, and I'm suggesting white for them. It looks so good.

beMaC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
I had black iPhone 4 and 4s and went for white on the 5. I personally thinks it looks much better, and prob would never go back to black in the future. Only you can make the decision, but you have to realize both will get scratched and dented. They both don't stay 'out of box' condition forever.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

If you like the black one then get it, but understand that even with the black iPhone 5 no one is going to mistake you for Batman in The Dark Knight -- nor will it make you particularly "stealthy". I think you believe that people are far more interested in you than they actually are.

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
If you like the black one then get it, but understand that even with the black iPhone 5 no one is going to mistake you for Batman in The Dark Knight -- nor will it make you particularly "stealthy". I think you believe that people are far more interested in you than they actually are.

What if he puts on a Dark Knight Batman costume? Ever think of that?:rolleyes:

9th Wonder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
Here is what I learned from reading the opinion from a fellow member: The resell value of the White iPhone 5 is typically higher in comparison with the Black iPhone 5.

If you have nothing better to contribute to this thread, but your condescending comments, then so be it. I hope you have a good day/night.

What if he puts on a Dark Knight Batman costume? Ever think of that?:rolleyes:

Haha, exactly :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It's a matter of personal taste, so your choice ...

My only concern about the black is the durability. The iPhone 5 is very very prone to scratches and dents.
I have the white one, with a folder cover always on, and it dropped just one time, from 30 cm on the floor .... well it has a little dent on the bezel.
On the white iPhone dents and scratches are less visible.

dwaynewilliams

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2013
It's a matter of personal taste, so your choice ...

My only concern about the black is the durability. The iPhone 5 is very very prone to scratches and dents.
I have the white one, with a folder cover always on, and it dropped just one time, from 30 cm on the floor .... well it has a little dent on the bezel.
On the white iPhone dents and scratches are less visible.

This is one of the reasons I went with the white.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
They will both get scratched, but you'll see it more on the black one.
Personally, I love both, but went with the black to match everything else I have.

Next time, I think I may go white.

dwaynewilliams

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2013
They will both get scratched, but you'll see it more on the black one.
Personally, I love both, but went with the black to match everything else I have.

Next time, I think I may go white.

I too like my devices to match. I got a white iPad and wanted the white iPhone 5 to match.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.