Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldMacNewb30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Is it safe to hook up a Mac Pro as a router then back to my other router for my other devices? Thus making the internet as fast as possible on my Mac Pro? Is this safe?

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Why wouldn't it be? Unless you MacPro is crashy... Or the hubbed connections need a critical level of up-time or something.

I've never tried that of course. Heck, I wouldn't even know what setting to use in order to make the second port act like a hub - nor if it would actually be any faster. I have a hunch it wouldn't actually be faster tho.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Is it safe to hook up a Mac Pro as a router then back to my other router for my other devices? Thus making the internet as fast as possible on my Mac Pro? Is this safe?

One thread should suffice, but I answer anyway. While it is possible to do so, the Mac Pro has to be running all the time to let your other devices connect to the internet too, sleeping does not count as on.

It is easier to just go modem > router > computers (including the Mac Pro) / devices.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
You can do it, but it won't be measurably faster. There's no reason to configure it the way you describe. It's just less convenient for no benefit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.