Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:02 AM   #1
dexum175
macrumors member

Selling iMac, now how to restore??

Hello, well I want to sell my 2009 27" iMac now that I bought a retina Macbook Pro. I want to completely erase everything on the iMac and make it like new so that I could sell. I'm having trouble finding a good method that actually works for me. If anyone has any tips or guides it would be really appreciated thanks.
dexum175 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:06 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexum175 View Post
Hello, well I want to sell my 2009 27" iMac now that I bought a retina Macbook Pro. I want to completely erase everything on the iMac and make it like new so that I could sell. I'm having trouble finding a good method that actually works for me. If anyone has any tips or guides it would be really appreciated thanks.
Insert OS Install disk, Open disk Utility from there, secure erase the HD, takes quite a bit of time, then install OS X, that's it.

If it's finishes don't startup again, the iMac is now setup as a "new" iMac.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:15 AM   #3
dexum175
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Insert OS Install disk, Open disk Utility from there, secure erase the HD, takes quite a bit of time, then install OS X, that's it.

If it's finishes don't startup again, the iMac is now setup as a "new" iMac.
Forgot to mention!, I keep inserting the OSX install DVD but my iMac keeps ejecting it?? Not sure why the disc has no scratches at all.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:22 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Forgot to mention!, I keep inserting the OSX install DVD but my iMac keeps ejecting it?? Not sure why the disc has no scratches at all.
Bad ODD, they break all the time.

Edit: It's a "shame" you have a rMBP, if it was the cMBP you could share the DVD over the network.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:28 AM   #5
dexum175
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Bad ODD, they break all the time.

Edit: It's a "shame" you have a rMBP, if it was the cMBP you could share the DVD over the network.
Wait so I need a new drive?

Also I have usb superdrive for my rMBP can I use that and share?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:33 AM   #6
simsaladimbamba

Quote:

Yes, you can use that and share or try to connect it directly to the iMac or use it to clone the DVD via CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free) to an 8 GB USB flash storage thumb drive and use that USB flash storage thumb drive to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard from.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:33 AM   #7
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:

Yes, afaik this should not be a problem, you can share the DVD/CD in the sharing Preference pane.
Now, I never started up a Mac to look for a shared DVD/CD, I think you can do so by holding the Option key on the iMac while starting up, it should have a network option to start from the DVD, this is slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Yes, you can use that and share or try to connect it directly to the iMac or use it to clone the DVD via CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free) to an 8 GB USB flash storage thumb drive and use that USB flash storage thumb drive to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard from.
This is even a better and much faster idea.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help