Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dantelo84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Hoping someone can help,

I was given an ATV3, and just not sure how to set it up to read my media files from my NAS drive which contains mp4/mp3 files.

If I drag the mp4 files into iTunes on my MBP I can view them on the ATV, the problem is that this way they are stored on the macbook... (not good on a 256gb ssd)

So basically I need info on how to either get the ATV3 to read directly from the WD MyBookLive (has Twonky server running which my PS3 reads from fine) or how to configure iTunes to not store the video files locally and always read from the NAS.

Any help will be appreciated, i've been searching all morning but looks like it's not possible... which i can´t believe... Ideally i would want the ATV3 to read from the NAS drive directly, but I believe that would require a jailbreak, so I would be content with sharing via iTunes but without having to copy the files to my macbook.

Note: the WD MyBookLive NAS drive has an iTunes server also, would that allow the ATV to read directly from it?

Last edited:

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
You can't access the files on the NAS directly from the ATV (even with Twonky / iTunes server, also no jailbreak for ATV3) - the files must exist within iTunes itself before they are visible. To stop the files being copied to your MBP when you add them to iTunes uncheck the option highlighted below

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 74

dantelo84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Nice one, thanks for that. That will get me going for now. Can I pick your brains some more, and ask what the iTunes server on the MyBookLive is about then? Shouldn´t it fake being an machine with iTunes to share content directly to any iOS device?

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
The iTunes server allows access to shared media without the requirement of importing it into iTunes itself - so if you enable it you should see a shared library appear in the iTunes sidebar. However you can only access shared libraries from within iTunes, not from iOS devices including the Apple TV.
If you do want direct access to the media on an iOS device you could use the WD2go app which allows you to browse your NAS and then you can Airplay it to the Apple TV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.