Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
Since there was a UK thread I thought I would start a Caaadian one too ;)

My ipod left Memphis TN at 3:47Am this morning. I am supposed to get it tomorrow since I paid for 2-day shipping but Fedex's expected ship date isnt untill the 24th!

Also, in terms of Canadian retailers does anyone have any experience with how long it takes in general for them to get the new thing in? I was told yesterday that in general Apple treats Canada like Europe - that is we get stuff around the same time as them even though it is much closer. Is that peoples experience?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
buttercup said:
Since there was a UK thread I thought I would start a Caaadian one too ;)

My ipod left Memphis TN at 3:47Am this morning. I am supposed to get it tomorrow since I paid for 2-day shipping but Fedex's expected ship date isnt untill the 24th!

Also, in terms of Canadian retailers does anyone have any experience with how long it takes in general for them to get the new thing in? I was told yesterday that in general Apple treats Canada like Europe - that is we get stuff around the same time as them even though it is much closer. Is that peoples experience?

I have ordered many Apple products via the Apple Store, and the reason for the delay is not shipping, its the border tax that takes a day to two days to clear. This could vary as christmas is right around t he corner, it takes only a day during the summer months.

I usually get my order from the time of order till it reaches my door, takes about a 3 days to a week. My iMac G5 took 2-3 weeks. :(

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
Awe, thats too bad! Silly border. Yeah I ordered like right away on the 12th.

Have you ever paid for 2-day shipping, not gotten it in 2 days and requested a refund on the shipping?

whalesalad

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2005
Lol me and killuminati are like related now, we have both been through the same BS since the 12th. Suffering while others who ordered days later recieved their ipods before us. Sad...

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
whalesalad said:
Lol me and killuminati are like related now, we have both been through the same BS since the 12th. Suffering while others who ordered days later recieved their ipods before us. Sad...

Try calling Apple and asking whats up. I called and was able to get myself an upgrade on shipping. :)

At least its something.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
buttercup said:
Awe, thats too bad! Silly border. Yeah I ordered like right away on the 12th.

Have you ever paid for 2-day shipping, not gotten it in 2 days and requested a refund on the shipping?

I had spoken to Apple's customer rep, and they said that the 2 day shipping usually never gets to the end user in 2 days, unless you live in the states or the product you have ordered has been on the market for some months.

If its a new released product, there is a slim to no chance that it will even arrive in 2 days. Many people get fooled by the 2 day shipping and it works most of the time, however it depends where you live, which route it has been shipped, products ordered, modifications, and time of product cycle.

2 days shipping always ships via air. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
killuminati said:
Try calling Apple and asking whats up. I called and was able to get myself an upgrade on shipping. :)

At least its something.

If it takes longer than 2 days, you can get a refund on the shipping. Since Apple cannot predict how well a product will do and cannot control other factors, like whether, truck break downs, etc...

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
maya said:
If it takes longer than 2 days, you can get a refund on the shipping. Since Apple cannot predict how well a product will do and cannot control other factors, like whether, truck break downs, etc...

Do you get the refund from Apple or FedEx?

lilrasta

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2005
that sux completely... i ordered mine on the 14th, still in processing stage. I guess we're going to be dreaming for quite a while...

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
pdpfilms said:
Do you get the refund from Apple or FedEx?

From Apple. But "2 day" shipping is only guaranteed for shipments within the domestic US. FedEx doesn't guarantee 2 day shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, or Canada/Mexico. All "2 day" shipping means for those outside of the continental US is that it's air shipping instead of ground. And ground shipping doesn't mean that it's not flown via aircraft, so it's really just poor terminology all around.

FedEx can't guarantee delivery in 2 days because of customs clearance delays, etc. which are beyond anyone's individual control.

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
lame, well I guess the best I can do is hope then. My shipping still hasn't been updated, but it sounds like the fact that I have a tracking number at all is lucky. So good luck to everyone and keep teh updates coming!

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
Well apparently it is in Richmond. So it did make it. Now if only Apple didnt require to attempt deliver first I would already have it. Good luck to everyone else!

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Someone asked about when retail stores will be getting it. So far I've heard from Future Shop that they don't know when because they still have to clear out the 4G's (I imagine BestBuy is the same) a licensed Apple store (not official) said they don't expect them until late next week and the official Apple store at Yorkdale said it would be the 25th.

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
JonHimself said:
Someone asked about when retail stores will be getting it. So far I've heard from Future Shop that they don't know when because they still have to clear out the 4G's (I imagine BestBuy is the same) a licensed Apple store (not official) said they don't expect them until late next week and the official Apple store at Yorkdale said it would be the 25th.

I would expect this to be true as mine says it will be here on the 25th (from fed ex) and I ordered it 12:35pm PST on the 12th.

It's heading to Thunder Bay.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Yay, mine finally went to preparing shipment. Although it's Friday here, it's Saturday in Shanghai so does that mean, it won't ship until Monday?

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
I ordered mine at 11:37 PDT on Oct 12th and it went from Shanghai to ALaska to Tenessee and then to Vancouver. It left Shanghai at 1am Oct 18th (Shanghai time), and got in this morning to Vancouver.

I hope that helps give a real idea.

Wouldn't you know that they tried to deliver this morning before 9am and I had to go into work early today otherwise I would have it now. Doh!

lilrasta

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2005
Mine finally changed to Preparing Shipment, so i guess that means it'll be shipped out on Monday or so.

I'm guessin it won't get here till the Monday after, so is everyone who got there pods so far happy with it?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
My 30GB White was just delivered today. I love it. It's amazing. I love it. I'm so careful with it though. I'm scared to put it in my pocket. I can't wait till I can get over my fear of scratching it.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
So it turns out the Apple store got them on Monday. I picked mine (30GB white) up today and am just about to open it. Just I though would let anyone in the GTA know in case they were wondering when Yorkdale was getting them. Can't wait!

lilrasta

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2005
Finally got mine today.... loaded it with a few movies i already converted... love how i can carry photos on it more than anything... 30 Gb Black looks amaaazing. I'm so happy with my purchase...

It's a hobbit compared to my older (but KING of its kind) 3rd Gen 30 Gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.