Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:34 AM   #1
lexvo
macrumors 6502a

Unhappy Why is it not possible to show photos in alphabetical order?

Every time I going to show photos with my AppleTV I wonder in what order they will come out. Why is it not possible to show them in order of the file name? Most of the time I reshuffle my photos a bit, but on the ATV they are almost always sorted in order of date taken (this is a sort fixed default I think). Sometimes I manage to get them in my order

I know (and saw) that this question was risen several times before. But still, how hard could it be to implement a 'sort by file name' option?

A workaround is to edit the EXIF. But:
1) this shouldn't be necessary
2) is not always a reliable method

Sorry for the rant but this, in combination with the ever returning "this library has no content" error, makes the ATV the only Apple device I regret buying.

Finally: if anyone has an easy workaround for this problem (not involving iPhoto as I don't use this) I'm happy to hear
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:05 AM   #2
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexvo View Post
. . .
Finally: if anyone has an easy workaround for this problem (not involving iPhoto as I don't use this) I'm happy to hear
There's your problem.

Nah, just kidding. Here's my real advice
. . .
Use Aperture.
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:06 PM   #3
lexvo
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Lightroom for my photo's. I can export them in any specific order and set the right filenames, but most of the time, the ATV still manages to get a different order.

How does this work with Aperture? Can you set a date modified or something?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexvo View Post
Every time I going to show photos with my AppleTV I wonder in what order they will come out. Why is it not possible to show them in order of the file name? Most of the time I reshuffle my photos a bit, but on the ATV they are almost always sorted in order of date taken (this is a sort fixed default I think). Sometimes I manage to get them in my order

I know (and saw) that this question was risen several times before. But still, how hard could it be to implement a 'sort by file name' option?

A workaround is to edit the EXIF. But:
1) this shouldn't be necessary
2) is not always a reliable method

Sorry for the rant but this, in combination with the ever returning "this library has no content" error, makes the ATV the only Apple device I regret buying.

Use iPhoto. It keeps your photo albums in alphabetical order.
JoeBlow74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:05 PM   #5
lexvo
macrumors 6502a

OK, I wanted to keep my photos in a shared directory so that I could access them from my AppleTV, with a WebDav browser and possibly with a regular browser. Here I ran into difficulties with the AppleTV.

I followed your suggestions and tried iPhoto again. With some extra steps I think I got it working with my photos in the wanted sort order

Without iPhoto I had just a single step to take from Lightroom:
1) export photos to the right directory

With iPhoto I take these steps:
1) export photos from Lightroom
2) import photos in iPhoto
3) set all titles to filename
4) if necessary, sort photos

With the above steps the photos show up in the right order on the AppleTV.

A disadvantage is that I have to keep the photos both in iPhoto and the shared directory. But I think that is an OK compromise.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:40 PM   #6
lexvo
macrumors 6502a

Well, iPhoto is not a very good solution

When you start iPhoto again, it defaults the sort order back to by date. I wanted it to keep the order at filename or title. I guess I have to apply another trick to get this solved. Grrrrr....

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater