Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Tallbeauty
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 water damage no warranty

Friday I had a drunken night and damaged my iPhone with some liquid. Basically the apple light stayed on all night and afterwards never turned back on the next morning. I don't have a warranty on my phone at all. I tried to call to put AppleCare + but they stated it was to late. I've tried everything to turn on my phone nothing worked. I'm not sure water damage is covered on the out of warranty service. What should I do any suggestions?
Tallbeauty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:09 PM   #2
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Water damage isn't covered on warranty anyway IIRC. Looks like you'll have to buy a new one (replacement one from Apple). And when you damage any electronic with water, keeping it turned on is going to break it even more.

Last edited by lunaoso; Mar 26, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Only option would be to pay the $229 replacement fee.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:20 PM   #4
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbeauty View Post
I'm not sure water damage is covered on the out of warranty service.
Water damage IS covered by the out-of-warranty service.
aristobrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Tallbeauty
macrumors newbie

Do I go to the apple store? The closet apple store is in Dallas 3 hours away
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ouch
Bako-MacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:04 AM   #7
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
Water damage isn't covered on warranty anyway IIRC. Looks like you'll have to buy a new one (replacement one from Apple). And when you damage any electronic with water, keeping it turned on is going to break it even more.
Normal warranty: Not AppleCare + which you do not have....

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/...e-english.html

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product".

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 5 $229
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

Last edited by SR45; Mar 27, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
SR45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Phone Applecare, they can do it on the phone.
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Tallbeauty
macrumors newbie

I talked to apple and they stated it will be retail price for the phone if it was to be shipped and not covered under warranty.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I talked to apple and they stated it will be retail price for the phone if it was to be shipped and not covered under warranty.
Ouch. Expensive lesson.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense.
Call and talk to someone that knows what they're doing at AppleCare.
Tell them you want to pay for an out of warranty replacement.
You send in yours and give them your card number and they ship you a replacement.
You don't have to buy another one full retail price.
Go here:
https://expresslane.apple.com/ProductSelector.action
You can do it by mail online.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:56 AM   #12
WesCole
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Are you sure they didn't say that you have to pay full price and then get a credit back when they receive your old phone? That was what the deal was when I got a replacement (under warranty, though)...I had to pay the full price, Apple shipped me a new phone and return label, I shipped my old phone back, and Apple removed the charge from my card.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

Yeah, that makes more sense. It will qualify for an OOW replacement because it is out of warranty.

You should really clarify this before making a mistake and paying full retail for another phone.
Han Solo 1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:18 AM   #14
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
This info is wrong! A OWR is $229. Doesn't matter if its damaged by liquid, or run over by a train. As long as u have the broken phone to trade in, it's only $229. Call a rep that has a clue.
sulpfiction is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:30 AM   #15
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
, or run over by a train.
My morbid curiosity would love to see the results of this.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Tallbeauty
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesCole View Post
Are you sure they didn't say that you have to pay full price and then get a credit back when they receive your old phone? That was what the deal was when I got a replacement (under warranty, though)...I had to pay the full price, Apple shipped me a new phone and return label, I shipped my old phone back, and Apple removed the charge from my card.
He told me if apple feels product has been damaged by a liquid then they will add the retail price back to credit card for retail price
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:18 PM   #17
SR45
Banned

Quote:
He told me if apple feels product has been damaged by a liquid then they will add the retail price back to credit card for retail price

Call up again, talk to someone different or go in, and talk to the Genius fella, and this time tell them you are asking about the Out Of Warranty replacement for a water damaged iPhone.
SR45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:19 PM   #18
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
This info is wrong! A OWR is $229. Doesn't matter if its damaged by liquid, or run over by a train. As long as u have the broken phone to trade in, it's only $229. Call a rep that has a clue.
In the second case, you don't have a phone to trade in

I think they have some minimum requirements, like being in one piece.
gnasher729 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:50 PM   #19
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You might just want to make that 3 hr drive to Dallas.
You should be able to get this handled over the phone though. It's an OOW replacement. $229. That's it. They may charge you full retail price until they get the bad one back. That I do not know. I had a 4 that had gotten moisture in it and the replacement was 200. Luckily I'm very patient and they were busy that day. I let a few people go ahead of me in line and the Genius replaced it free of charge.

If you do go to Dallas then patience and a great attitude could land you with a replacement for free.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:59 PM   #20
Tallbeauty
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
You might just want to make that 3 hr drive to Dallas.
You should be able to get this handled over the phone though. It's an OOW replacement. $229. That's it. They may charge you full retail price until they get the bad one back. That I do not know. I had a 4 that had gotten moisture in it and the replacement was 200. Luckily I'm very patient and they were busy that day. I let a few people go ahead of me in line and the Genius replaced it free of charge.

If you do go to Dallas then patience and a great attitude could land you with a replacement for free.
I just planned a trip to Dallas for Friday hopefully everything works out.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:22 PM   #21
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
Normal warranty: Not AppleCare + which you do not have....

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/...e-english.html

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product".

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 5 $229
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149
You quoted the wrong guy lol. Hopefully you aren't a fortune teller and are predicting the future .
lunaoso is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:15 PM   #22
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
You quoted the wrong guy lol. Hopefully you aren't a fortune teller and are predicting the future .
Who me, predicting future stuff ? No way Was just giving a link to confirm the posters reply that, yes indeed, the original warranty, none applecare plus, water damage was not covered.
SR45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:47 PM   #23
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I just planned a trip to Dallas for Friday hopefully everything works out.
Make sure you choose an Apple store and make an appointment first online. There are several Apple stores in the Dallas area to choose from.
Vudoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:06 PM   #24
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
Who me, predicting future stuff ? No way Was just giving a link to confirm the posters reply that, yes indeed, the original warranty, none applecare plus, water damage was not covered.
Oh alright my bad.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:58 PM   #25
Lobwedgephil
macrumors 6502

Schedule a Genius appointment for whenever you are going so you don't have to wait.
Lobwedgephil is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone