Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tallbeauty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Friday I had a drunken night and damaged my iPhone with some liquid. Basically the apple light stayed on all night and afterwards never turned back on the next morning. I don't have a warranty on my phone at all. I tried to call to put AppleCare + but they stated it was to late. I've tried everything to turn on my phone nothing worked. I'm not sure water damage is covered on the out of warranty service. What should I do any suggestions?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Water damage isn't covered on warranty anyway IIRC. Looks like you'll have to buy a new one (replacement one from Apple). And when you damage any electronic with water, keeping it turned on is going to break it even more.

Last edited:

Tallbeauty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Do I go to the apple store? The closet apple store is in Dallas 3 hours away

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Water damage isn't covered on warranty anyway IIRC. Looks like you'll have to buy a new one (replacement one from Apple). And when you damage any electronic with water, keeping it turned on is going to break it even more.

Normal warranty: Not AppleCare + which you do not have....

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product".

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 5 $229
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

Last edited:

Tallbeauty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
I talked to apple and they stated it will be retail price for the phone if it was to be shipped and not covered under warranty.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I talked to apple and they stated it will be retail price for the phone if it was to be shipped and not covered under warranty.

That doesn't make any sense.
Call and talk to someone that knows what they're doing at AppleCare.
Tell them you want to pay for an out of warranty replacement.
You send in yours and give them your card number and they ship you a replacement.
You don't have to buy another one full retail price.
Go here:
https://expresslane.apple.com/ProductSelector.action
You can do it by mail online.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas

Are you sure they didn't say that you have to pay full price and then get a credit back when they receive your old phone? That was what the deal was when I got a replacement (under warranty, though)...I had to pay the full price, Apple shipped me a new phone and return label, I shipped my old phone back, and Apple removed the charge from my card.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, that makes more sense. It will qualify for an OOW replacement because it is out of warranty.

You should really clarify this before making a mistake and paying full retail for another phone.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

This info is wrong! A OWR is $229. Doesn't matter if its damaged by liquid, or run over by a train. As long as u have the broken phone to trade in, it's only $229. Call a rep that has a clue.

Tallbeauty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Are you sure they didn't say that you have to pay full price and then get a credit back when they receive your old phone? That was what the deal was when I got a replacement (under warranty, though)...I had to pay the full price, Apple shipped me a new phone and return label, I shipped my old phone back, and Apple removed the charge from my card.

He told me if apple feels product has been damaged by a liquid then they will add the retail price back to credit card for retail price

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
He told me if apple feels product has been damaged by a liquid then they will add the retail price back to credit card for retail price

Call up again, talk to someone different or go in, and talk to the Genius fella, and this time tell them you are asking about the Out Of Warranty replacement for a water damaged iPhone.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This info is wrong! A OWR is $229. Doesn't matter if its damaged by liquid, or run over by a train. As long as u have the broken phone to trade in, it's only $229. Call a rep that has a clue.

In the second case, you don't have a phone to trade in :rolleyes:

I think they have some minimum requirements, like being in one piece.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

You might just want to make that 3 hr drive to Dallas.
You should be able to get this handled over the phone though. It's an OOW replacement. $229. That's it. They may charge you full retail price until they get the bad one back. That I do not know. I had a 4 that had gotten moisture in it and the replacement was 200. Luckily I'm very patient and they were busy that day. I let a few people go ahead of me in line and the Genius replaced it free of charge.

If you do go to Dallas then patience and a great attitude could land you with a replacement for free.

Tallbeauty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
You might just want to make that 3 hr drive to Dallas.
You should be able to get this handled over the phone though. It's an OOW replacement. $229. That's it. They may charge you full retail price until they get the bad one back. That I do not know. I had a 4 that had gotten moisture in it and the replacement was 200. Luckily I'm very patient and they were busy that day. I let a few people go ahead of me in line and the Genius replaced it free of charge.

If you do go to Dallas then patience and a great attitude could land you with a replacement for free.

I just planned a trip to Dallas for Friday hopefully everything works out.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Normal warranty: Not AppleCare + which you do not have....

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product".

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 5 $229
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

You quoted the wrong guy lol. Hopefully you aren't a fortune teller and are predicting the future :).

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
You quoted the wrong guy lol. Hopefully you aren't a fortune teller and are predicting the future :).

Who me, predicting future stuff ? No way ;) :D Was just giving a link to confirm the posters reply that, yes indeed, the original warranty, none applecare plus, water damage was not covered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.