Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Short version:
I bought a copy of Win7 to run in Parallels, but the original need for it has gone away. So I'm debating whether to return it (and eat the return shipping cost) or keep it around in case a situation comes up where it would be handy to have. What do you do with it that's useful?

Long version:
Last week I decided to finally get a Blu-Ray drive to be able to rip the Blu-Rays I've accumulated (all from DVD/BR combo packs) and serve them to my TiVo for viewing. My plan was to use AnyDVD HD in Windows/Parallels since I know that has had a very good reputation for years. Last I'd checked (which must have been longer ago than I thought), Mac Blu-Ray ripping solutions were iffy at best.

So I ordered Win7 from Amazon and bought the BR drive locally (LG BE14NU40). Then I went and checked pricing for AnyDVD and got a bit of sticker shock. :eek: A bit expensive for just a ripping program!

So I checked the state of Mac BR ripping again and found MakeMKV. Worked like a charm on all my Blu-Rays over the weekend, no issues. Rips play beautifully on the TiVo. The Win7 copy is still sealed (darn Amazon shipped it too fast to cancel... :rolleyes:) and ready to return if I don't find another use for it.

Years ago I used to run XP in Parallels to help a friend with a Visual Studio-based project, but that hasn't been since 2009 or so. I'm not sure if I even have a copy of that installation anymore. Haven't used or needed Windows at home since, but thinking about the current situation, I keep having this nagging feeling that it might be handy to keep the copy around. :confused:

Just for completeness, my system is a 2012 Mac mini, 2.6GHz i7, 16 GB memory, etc.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I use it to run a couple of proprietary programs for work that won't run under OS X (no Mac version at all)

Occasionally I find a need to use Internet Explorer when a website won't play nice with Safari, Chrome or Firefox on the Mac (pretty rare these days, but used it the other day)

I have Office 2007 installed as well and it gives me greater compatibility with my work documents when needed as well. Usually my Office 2011 on the Mac is sufficient, but sometimes there is a quirk.

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
Run all the crap that companies couldn't be arsed to build for OS X, sometimes despite having X11 Linux ports readily available (but unrunnable on OS X due to closed-source different executables). In effect, I have to tolerate more than 20GB wasted space on my computer just to run Windows, and an ugly low-performance Parallels experience (I regret not trying VirtualBox first, and wasting more money on Parallels than specified), and frequent Windows updates that slow me down even more the rare times I open Windows.

Other times I use Windows if I need Visual Studio and Microsoft-specific programming, or testing new programs on Windows, which is a more commendable reason.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
I only use Windows for 2 programs. A stock trading platform and real estate MLS. Both will only work on Windows, but the new MLS platform will soon work on a Mac. If it wasn't for that, I would delete the partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.