Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mom2Boys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Please forgive my lack of knowledge in advance!!

I am purchasing a new camcorder, most likely a Panasonic HC-V500, and will be taking home movies exclusively. When researching this camcorder I saw that it was not supported by Macs, but that there are some work-arounds.

Can anyone give me, simply, what steps I need to take to do the following:
1. Preserve the higher quality video afforded by the HD camcorder;
2. Plug the camcorder into the computer and upload those HD files;
3. Create a simple DVD playable on blu-ray DVD player (basically just raw footage)

With my previous (non-HD) camcorder I uploaded the files using iMovie then created a project, shared to iDVD and burned. It took forever and involved more steps than I felt necessary as I did not need to add music, breaks, titles, etc. Further I now get errors in iDVD (apparently because my project is long and I don't have enough space on my hard drive left), and as such, am 3 years behind in DVD-making. I have cleaned off my hard drive as much as possible (no other video is on the internal drive and I don't have any other non-standard programs except Microsoft Office).

Sorry for the rambling and thank you in advance!

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
DVD is limited to 480p, your camcorder is 1080p capable.

If it were me I'd skip creating a DVD and just Handbrake to Apple TV 3 format and playback via iTunes. Of course you'd need an HDTV & ATV3 to playback.

Mom2Boys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Blueroom, I do have those electronics, but my home movies are of my family/kids so I do want to create dvd's for future viewing by them, etc. Thanks for the info about the dvd vs camcorder.

Should I consider a lower "p" camcorder which would obviously be less expensive?

Mom2Boys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Once I have Toast and an external burner, will the burned DVDs play on a separate BluRay dvd player or do I still need some other software? I keep seeing how people have problems with their burned discs playing back.

Thanks again

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
If you have created a video dvd, and not a data dvd, then it should play back in a standard dvd player. I say "should" because there's always the possibility of a dvd player not recognising/playing a homemade dvd. It's rare, but does happen occasionally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.