Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
edit. I had these labeled incorrectly in the first instance, I have labelled them again.

Samsung
gsmarena_005.jpg

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

HTC
gsmarena_105.jpg

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung
gsmarena_003.jpg

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

HTC
gsmarena_103.jpg

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung
gsmarena_004.jpg

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

HTC
gsmarena_104.jpg

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung
gsmarena_002.jpg

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

HTC
gsmarena_102.jpg

-----

To be honest given one has 13 MP against 4 MP/UP there isn't a huge difference in it especially when viewing images on devices (Facebook / Twitter / Instagram) but of course a 13 MP shot is gong to be better when printed - but HTC's gambling that most folks don't or rarely ever print out their photos from phones.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Edit : I may have read the data wrong from the first batch of photos, meaning I misread or took the second batch as wrong. Looking at exif it appears I was wrong

I posted them with wrong heading first post so when I went into the low light results page I thought they had switched / ad them opposite, when it was I who had them opposite in the first post. I have updated my post to reflect this.

Original post text

(I have emailed them to point out their mistake / error on the lowlight page.
Every image is switched on that page. How they never spotted their mistake? It's easy to see just based on crop alone, let alone file name convention they already established.

For example all the HTC images follow this file name convention

gsmarena_008.jpg

Whereas Samsung has the number appended with a 1 so

gsmarena_108.jpg

If they can't even label their photos on the page correctly it does are you question their results in general.. Period.)

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have emailed them to point out their mistake / error on the lowlight page.
Every image is switched on that page. How they never spotted their mistake? It's easy to see just based on crop alone, let alone file name convention they already established.

gsmarena_008.jpg

gsmarena_108.jpg

If they can't even label their photos on the page correctly it does are you question their results in general.. Period.

You think all the pics that looks closer are from the GS4? Because i think those are nicer pics. And, though not often i have taken pics from my phone and had them made from a photo machine in a store.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
htc one is the bomb ! And i think they are right to take the rick, phone pics most of the time end on facebook/other social media or stored on the computer.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
You think all the pics that looks closer are from the GS4? Because i think those are nicer pics. And, though not often i have taken pics from my phone and had them made from a photo machine in a store.

He means the opposite :) unless my english is doing bad today.

----------

Glad whe have people like you ! When i saw that review i knew something was wrong because of the pictures taken with the htc ive seen days ago.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sorry but look at the battery test and tell me how this makes any sense

gsmarena_001.jpg

galaxy-s4-battery-test.jpg

So the HTC one matches the GS4 closely in two out of three tests and beats it quite significantly in the third test.

And yet they rank the SGS4 massively higher ?? Not just a small bit but massively. How does that make any sense to anyone ?? Please can someone decipher the logic there ?

---

Also screen test - the HTC One has a brightness rating of 647 cd/m2. The GS4 has a brightness rating of 404 cd/m2 and yet they claimed in bright sunlight the GS4 screen was brighter ?

Last edited:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I call bs, the htc one will become the android flagship until the new motorola or nexus 5, that reciew is full of it

Rolla

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Also the low light results on that site are back to front. They have the Samsung and HTC shots switched around. You can tell this by the size of the image and the naming conventions they used prior. So the HTC does appear to be better in lowlight.

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-
HTC

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

HTC

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung

HTC

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

HTC

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

HTC

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

HTC

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung

-----

To be honest given one has 13 MP against 4 MP/UP there isn't a huge difference in it especially when viewing images on devices (Facebook / Twitter / Instagram) but of course a 13 MP shot is gong to be better when printed - but HTC's gambling that most folks don't or rarely ever print out their photos from phones.

I have emailed them to point out their mistake / error on the lowlight page.

gsmarena_008.jpg

gsmarena_108.jpg

If they can't even label their photos on the page correctly it does are you question their results in general.. Period.

Sorry to say, but you are wrong. All your pictures are labelled incorrectly. The ones you have labelled as HTC are actually Samsung, and the one you have labeled as Samsung are actually HTC. The GSMARENA website have labeled their pictures correctly. What made you think otherwise? I'm a little confused.
One quick look at the exif data will show you which device took those pictures. Please correct your post so nobody is mislead with the results.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
The HTC ones looks sharper and clearer.

Then I open the image in a separate window and notice the HTC one is like more than double the resolution.

So maybe the images are swapped.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sorry to say, but you are wrong. All your pictures are labelled incorrectly. The ones you have labelled as HTC are actually Samsung, and the one you have labeled as Samsung are actually HTC. The GSMARENA website have labeled their pictures correctly. What made you think otherwise? I'm a little confused.
One quick look at the exif data will show you which device took those pictures. Please correct your post so nobody is mislead with the results.

You are right, I have subsequently looked at the exif data, it appears I was wrong.

My mistake came from the first batch I posted being mislabeled by myself when I posted them here so when I went back to lowlight page to add those I was reading it right, but thought otherwise as my mistake was prior to that which led me to believe they were wrong. I should have opened each image to see exif data first myself (but was on my iPad when originally doing so - so could not).

I have subsequently edited my posts accordingly to correct it regarding the pictures.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I looked at the exif data, it appears I was wrong and my mistake came from the first batch I posted being mislabeled by myself when I posted them here so when I went back to lowlight page to add those I was reading it right, but thought otherwise as my mistake was prior to that which led me to believe they were wrong. I should have opened each image to see exif data first myself (but was on my iPad when doing so).

I have edited my posts accordingly to correct it regarding the pictures.

I looked at your previous post without looking at the article and thought, wow, the HTC camera kicks ass. Only to be surprised again when I actually checked out the article to see, wow, the Samsung camera kicks ass.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I looked at your previous post without looking at the article and thought, wow, the HTC camera kicks ass. Only to be surprised again when I actually checked out the article to see, wow, the Samsung camera kicks ass.

Yeah the first batch I posted mislabeled threw me when I saw the second batch on the lowlight page.

If that's genuinely the results than I too am surprised how good the s4 camera is compared to the One especially in low light scenario.

I may re-think getting the HTC one (especially as it keeps getting delayed anyway) now to be honest as those low light shots are much better for the GS4 but I just can't stand TouchWiz interface though :(. Why can't I have HTC's case/aesthetics and UI, but with Samungs camera ? It'd make a beast of a device. As it is I'm looking at compromising either Aesthetics and GUI - or Camera ? (But the camera is one of main uses)... At least battery life is comparable. But Arghhhh decisions now.... Do I cancel the One and go for the GS4, will Touchwiz drive me nuts as it always has done previously? Does anyone know If I used Nova Launcher to avoid Touchwiz do I still get the Samsung camera app ? :( :(

----------

Correctly labeled this time folks. Doh! :)

Genuinely surprised how good the GS4 is doing in lowlight here compared to the HTC's ultrapixel camera.

HTC
gsmarena_108.jpg

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung
gsmarena_008.jpg

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

HTC
gsmarena_109.jpg

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Samsung
gsmarena_009.jpg

Last edited:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
the gs4s screen will be the best on the market I believe. all the people complaining about pentile don't know what tbey are talking about. it's not the same as pentile a couple of years ago.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011

So the HTC one matches the GS4 closely in two out of three tests and beats it quite significantly in the third test.

And yet they rank the SGS4 massively higher ?? Not just a small bit but massively. How does that make any sense to anyone ?? Please can someone decipher the logic there ?

---

Also screen test - the HTC One has a brightness rating of 647 cd/m2. The GS4 has a brightness rating of 404 cd/m2 and yet they claimed in bright sunlight the GS4 screen was brighter ?

It only makes sense if you read the article thoroughly.

The test takes into account the standby time. The final number is a combination of standby time and 3 tests as described.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is a good performer in the individual categories and thanks to efficient standby, it scored a very respectable endurance rating of 63 hours.

They measured sunlight contrast ratio for this test. You can clearly see it being mentioned in the article.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

---

well if you read just under those graphics it explained that standby efficiency was the reason. still pretty impressive by the one, especially for Web browsing

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
What kills me in the geek blogs like this is that they say an advantage of the Samsung phone over the HTC phone is a higher speed chipset. Like anyone can actually tell the difference. Seriously. Can anyone actually tell the difference these days and honestly say the one with the slower chip is actually worse?

Pathetic.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
htc never get camera correct. plus battery life. they can make good design though.

but s4 significantly larger screen and those factors above rule it out for me.

i think htc made a big mistake by not matching the screen size of other flagship. lg and sony both have 5 in screen. ultimately this factor will rule out htc for most people if they compare it to s4.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
plus battery life. .

Battery is actually a pleasant surprise given HTC's past. It basically matches the S4 in the usage tests above, and remarkably betters it by over an hour in the Web browsing test.

But yeah given those results for the camera above, I'm a little concerned over camera quality though.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
htc never get camera correct. plus battery life. they can make good design though.

but s4 significantly larger screen and those factors above rule it out for me.

i think htc made a big mistake by not matching the screen size of other flagship. lg and sony both have 5 in screen. ultimately this factor will rule out htc for most people if they compare it to s4.

I love how a 0.2" difference qualifies as "significant" while the iPhone 5 is bashed for an increase of 0.5" as unusable and pointless....

I understand if you think 4" is still too small - but come on....its 0.2" between the One and GS4...not significant.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I call bs, the htc one will become the android flagship until the new motorola or nexus 5, that reciew is full of it

What exactly is bs about the review? Are you surprised that a 13 mp camera takes better pictures then a 4? Or a faster over clocked chip set scores higher benchmarks and last but not least a bigger battery gets a longer standby time?

LorPGDL

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
brian klug of anandtech says their review is bs. shot with not final firmware and their standby tests are bs as well. wouldnt give it too much thought. unprofessional review.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
brian klug of anandtech says their review is bs. shot with not final firmware and their standby tests are bs as well. wouldnt give it too much thought. unprofessional review.

but why would htc send a review site not final version firmware?you do know the htc one is about to ship and some people are getting them right

and can you post where they talk about this review being bs,Id like to read there review

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.