Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djxpress

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
I have both iCloud and Google calendar sync set up on my Mac iCal program so I can see everything in iCal. However when someone puts a date onto my iCloud calendar, I can't figure out if I can sync it with Google calendar directly (I mainly use the Google calendar web app). I have to go and manually add the date to my Google calendar.

The reason this is an issue is that since Google calendar is synced with my iCal, when my sidebar notifications show, I will see 2 notifications for the same event. Obviously this is because the notifications pull from iCal. When I look in my iCal, there are 2 of the same event/date (1 from iCloud and the other from me manually adding it to Google calendar). Is there a way to make it sync so that when someone adds something to iCal, it will automatically sync to my Google calendar? I know if I add something to iCal directly, it will sync and show up in my Google calendar. I wish it would do the same from iCloud.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't know of a reliable way to sync those two syncing services.

When you say "when someone puts a date onto my iCloud calendar" does it mean your iCloud calendar is shared with others or that they're sending you invitations?

djxpress

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
I don't know of a reliable way to sync those two syncing services.

When you say "when someone puts a date onto my iCloud calendar" does it mean your iCloud calendar is shared with others or that they're sending you invitations?

i.e. someone sends me an invitation on icloud and I accept and it gets added to my icloud

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Have them send the invite to your Gmail address?

Or, if the invites are coming from iCloud users you can add a mail rule at iCloud to forward mail in which the subject contains "invited you to" to your Gmail address. Then you can add the event to your Gmail calendar from your Gmail webmail. I don't think you can RSVP to the invite via this method. That may have to be done via iCloud so you'd still have two events.

djxpress

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Basically, when someone adds an event/date to iCloud, or when I add a date to iCloud calendar, it will pull into my desktop iCal app. I only use the desktop iCal app occassionaly. I use Google Calendar more often, so I need to copy the event and put it into my Google calendar. My Google calendar is synced to iCal. When all is said and done, my iCal shows the event pulled from both Google calendar and iCloud, thus duplicating the event within iCal and within my notification bar on the right of the desktop.

mikerobert

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Try This...

I have never do this before but give it a try. I don't think you will be able to control the calendar in Google but at least all your events will come through on Google.

Visit: http://icaltogcal.com

Get the URL from iCal and Paste it in the above website. It will then give you another URL. Wait a few minutes and then add that URL as a subscription in Google.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The nature of invitation events makes them difficult to move around. If the invitation is to your iCloud email address, then subsequent changes probably won't be reflected in an event copied to a different calendar.

If you can't get people to send invitations to your Gmail address, you're better off leaving them in iCloud so that changes get reflected properly.

wzz

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
Does the invitation still work for google calendar after they've stopped Microsoft exchange?

& Is invitations compatible between cross platform?

gg.gamble

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
move don't copy

Little late to game, and I know it's not an automatic solution but once it's imported to iCal rather than re-enter the event in google iCal can change which calendar it's assigned to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-07 at 12.00.07.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-07 at 12.00.07.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,575

joflo723

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
I have never do this before but give it a try. I don't think you will be able to control the calendar in Google but at least all your events will come through on Google.

Get the URL from iCal and Paste it in the above website. It will then give you another URL. Wait a few minutes and then add that URL as a subscription in Google.

After trying dozens of other workarounds, this worked for me. Thank you!

Jo

madcap802

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
This works!

Worked effortlessly for me also. My iCal is now synced with my Google Calendar. I do everything as far as adding events and appointments on the fly on my iphone and its nice to have it synced w my Google account also for when I'm on my PC or Nexus7

jelloheadz

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
Thank you!

I've tried a bunch of different things, this is the one that has worked best, thank you!!!

claire70

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
I'm obviously being really stupid here, but HOW do I get the URL which icaltogcal has given me into my Google calendar?? Where do I paste it? I have tried clicking the arrow next to 'other calendars' and then 'add by URL' but nothing happens. I can't see anywhere else I can paste it to.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm obviously being really stupid here, but HOW do I get the URL which icaltogcal has given me into my Google calendar?? Where do I paste it? I have tried clicking the arrow next to 'other calendars' and then 'add by URL' but nothing happens. I can't see anywhere else I can paste it to.

You're supposed to get a popup dialog box which has a place to paste the URL when you select "Add by URL" there.

Try a different browser.

claire70

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
You're supposed to get a popup dialog box which has a place to paste the URL when you select "Add by URL" there.

Try a different browser.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I get the popup box. I've pasted my URL into that box, and it has created a listing for it on the left-hand side, under 'other calendars'. But none of the calendar events are actually showing up.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I get the popup box. I've pasted my URL into that box, and it has created a listing for it on the left-hand side, under 'other calendars'. But none of the calendar events are actually showing up.

Do you have the calendars "showing", that is, the color box to the left of the calendar name isn't blank?

Also, there's always been a lag with new events showing up in Google subscribed external calendars. Seems like the source calendar's events have always shown immediately after subscribing, however.

claire70

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
Yep, the calendar is showing (a nice purple colour), and it's been over 12 hours now since I set it up and it still isn't showing anything! :-(

Mr.MacJr

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
how to get iCal URL?

great thread... just confused on how to initially get the iCAL URL...?

secondly... to confirm.. this will provide live 2-way syncing correct?

thanks!

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
There has been much discussion on this - there's no reliable or fast way to ensure two-way sync of Google and iCloud CalDAV calendars. Just pick one.

DLThompson06

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
For those needing detailed instructions

From the iCloud main page, click on Calendar. Click on the broadcast icon next to the calendar you want to share. In the pop-up window that comes up, click on Public Calendar. Highlight and copy the entire webcal link that appears. Then hit Cancel. You can log out of iCloud now if you want. Open up another browser window and go to:

https://icaltogcal.com/

Paste the webcal link (that you just copied) into the textbox, and click on the blue Continue button. There should now be a green Success message in the middle of the page, followed by a Share URL address. Highlight and copy the Share URL address.

Now open up a new browser window and go to your Google Calendar. On the bottom of the left-hand panel where it says Other Calendars, click on the down arrow (the one on the right, not on the left). Then click on Add by URL. Paste the URL that you just copied. Click on Add Calendar. In a matter of a few seconds, the new calendar will show up listed under Other Calendars, with a long webcal name. Click the down arrow next to the new calendar and click on the desired color for the calendar items. Click on the down arrow next to the new calendar again and choose Calendar Settings. Replace the lengthy webcal name with a more user friendly name (i.e. Jim's Work Schedule). Click Save and you're done.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007

From the iCloud main page, click on Calendar. Click on the broadcast icon next to the calendar you want to share. In the pop-up window that comes up, click on Public Calendar. Highlight and copy the entire webcal link that appears. Then hit Cancel. You can log out of iCloud now if you want. Open up another browser window and go to:

https://icaltogcal.com/

Paste the webcal link (that you just copied) into the textbox, and click on the blue Continue button. There should now be a green Success message in the middle of the page, followed by a Share URL address. Highlight and copy the Share URL address.

Now open up a new browser window and go to your Google Calendar. On the bottom of the left-hand panel where it says Other Calendars, click on the down arrow (the one on the right, not on the left). Then click on Add by URL. Paste the URL that you just copied. Click on Add Calendar. In a matter of a few seconds, the new calendar will show up listed under Other Calendars, with a long webcal name. Click the down arrow next to the new calendar and click on the desired color for the calendar items. Click on the down arrow next to the new calendar again and choose Calendar Settings. Replace the lengthy webcal name with a more user friendly name (i.e. Jim's Work Schedule). Click Save and you're done.

Can anyone confirm this is still working? I set up 3 iCloud calendars and none have shown up yet.

bullet99

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Not Necessary -- Just Use Two Syncs

Accepting invitations did not show up on all devices connected to iCloud.

If you accept an invitation sent to your Google account, it will show up on all devices that link to that account. iCloud does not link to Google. If a device is NOT showing an invitation accepted on a Google account, add that account (and calendar) to the device. It will show up on all devices linked to that account just like the devices linked through iCloud, just not on iCloud. The key is to sync the devices to two accounts, not try to sync the linking accounts. If you want to know where it's coming from, color code the calendars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.