Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomobco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Denver
Can an iPhone be updated to UMA with an iOS update or is this feature in the hardware/chipset? I've been looking for a definite answer and haven't seen one.

UMA is a T mobile feature where calls are made and received over wifi. I had it with my blackberry and loved it when traveling especially out of country. It was just like being in my office.

peetah

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
Software. The big problem is supporting it in the iPhone unless Apple creates the code for it.

FYI, several years ago there someone created an Android app to enabled UMA on certain Android phones.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Can an iPhone be updated to UMA with an iOS update or is this feature in the hardware/chipset? I've been looking for a definite answer and haven't seen one.

UMA is a T mobile feature where calls are made and received over wifi. I had it with my blackberry and loved it when traveling especially out of country. It was just like being in my office.

So you come to this forum, one that has both sides to the story for clarification? Isn't that a bit like clearing away mud only to try and find the mud underneath? You certainly could of posted this in either one of the other threads to get the same answers you'll get here. Come on now.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
All carriers have now got rid of UMA. The Wi-Fi calling in current T-Mobile phones is in software. It is not as good as UMA because there is no mechanism for handover from Wi-Fi calling to wireless signal mode calling. I recall T-mobile CEO saying there will be a feature that distinguishes T-Mobile's product from others. We will know on 12th. If it does have Wi-Fi calling, Apple can count several million new sale of IPhone 5 for next quarter on T-mobile.

jomobco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Denver
All carriers have now got rid of UMA. The Wi-Fi calling in current T-Mobile phones is in software. It is not as good as UMA because there is no mechanism for handover from Wi-Fi calling to wireless signal mode calling. I recall T-mobile CEO saying there will be a feature that distinguishes T-Mobile's product from others. We will know on 12th. If it does have Wi-Fi calling, Apple can count several million new sale of IPhone 5 for next quarter on T-mobile.

IIRC He said when asked about the feature that there's a surprise in the future or something like that. I was curious if the Tmo 5 doesn't launch with this feature if it can be updated via software or as some have said in other threads I've read that it's a chipset feature. Thanks for the info.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
The UMA was a chip set feature. But now all Wi-Fi calling on T-mobile phones is a software feature.
IIRC He said when asked about the feature that there's a surprise in the future or something like that. I was curious if the Tmo 5 doesn't launch with this feature if it can be updated via software or as some have said in other threads I've read that it's a chipset feature. Thanks for the info.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Do you know of any Wi-Fi calling software that can receive calls on the iPhone 5, not just make outgoing calls?

UMA is a software. But for iPhone, there are a lot of other softwares has been introduced in the market. You have to use these new.

jomobco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Denver
The UMA was a chip set feature. But now all Wi-Fi calling on T-mobile phones is a software feature.

What are the odds the 5S will add this chipset feature? It would be awesome to have full voice usage when indoors without cells service but wifi or out of country at a hot spot like I used to with my crackberry. Fingers crossed.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Do you know of any Wi-Fi calling software that can receive calls on the iPhone 5, not just make outgoing calls?

I know Talkatone can do this, but it uses your Google Voice number, not your iPhone's number.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Most cell phone companies will not want the UMA chip inbuilt. Having it hardware based is very good, but because very few want to give away free calls, it will remain a software option.
What are the odds the 5S will add this chipset feature? It would be awesome to have full voice usage when indoors without cells service but wifi or out of country at a hot spot like I used to with my crackberry. Fingers crossed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.