Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Tony Resta
macrumors newbie

Installing the OS on a NEW hard drive.

Hello.

I did a bit of research already on this but just wanted to confirm it with you guys

I'm getting the Mac Mini (Late '12) with a 1TB 5400rpm drive and i'm planning to swap that with a fusion drive from a 3rd party. Since this isn't Windows i have no idea how to go around installing Mountain Lion on the new hard drive too.

I know there's an internal recovery but this will be on a new harddrive so the recovery partition won't be there. Is there a way to create a install disk (dvd or usb)?

Thanks.
Tony Resta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:48 AM   #2
maflynn

Apple also provides an internet recovery to be used for those occasions where there is no recovery partition.

Hit command-R on startup like you would do to get into the recovery partition and the Mac will prompt you to do an internet recovery.

Here's apple's KB article on this
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Tony Resta
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Apple also provides an internet recovery to be used for those occasions where there is no recovery partition.

Hit command-R on startup like you would do to get into the recovery partition and the Mac will prompt you to do an internet recovery.

Here's apple's KB article on this
Thanks! That's perfect.
Tony Resta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"I'm getting the Mac Mini (Late '12) with a 1TB 5400rpm drive and i'm planning to swap that with a fusion drive from a 3rd party."

You realize that a "fusion drive" is NOT "a single drive" that you can swap out, but is actually TWO drives?
An SSD -and- an HDD?
And that in factory Minis, the HDD portion of the fusion drive is already the 1tb 5400rpm drive that comes inside?

If you want a fusion drive, all you want to do is ADD an SSD to the 5400rpm HDD that is already inside...
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion