Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I am cloning my HD using CCC, to a new Samsung 840 SSD and an error keeps coming up that it can't backup a system.log file. After researching I found I can delete it and restart the backup as it is not necessary for the new SSD, or any log files for that matter.

But then that got me thinking, is there anything else I should exclude from my clone? Any non-essential system files? Should I exclude the entire "var" folder during the cloning process?

Thank you!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Odd, I've used CCC and never had that sort of problem.

I''d not worry about working to exclude any other "system" sort of files as you may exclude a folder or file that you need. Its not like you're saving a lot of time or space by excluding them

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Odd, I've used CCC and never had that sort of problem.

I''d not worry about working to exclude any other "system" sort of files as you may exclude a folder or file that you need. Its not like you're saving a lot of time or space by excluding them

Thanks for the reply!

It is odd, but luckily it is an "expendable" file. I even checked my last few days of Time Machine backups and it wasn't there, it is only in the present.

And I won't exclude any other folder or files. I'll try deleting this log file and continuing with the clone to see if I get any similar issues.

Thanks!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks for the reply!

It is odd, but luckily it is an "expendable" file. I even checked my last few days of Time Machine backups and it wasn't there, it is only in the present.

And I won't exclude any other folder or files. I'll try deleting this log file and continuing with the clone to see if I get any similar issues.

Thanks!

If you exclude var your bootable backup won't boot.:p

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"But then that got me thinking, is there anything else I should exclude from my clone? Any non-essential system files? Should I exclude the entire "var" folder during the cloning process?"

Let CCC backup EVERYthing. Obviously it had a problem with one file that you removed, and now, no more problems.

If you're trying to create a bootable "clone", that implies everything that is essential to make the volume "complete" -- both visible and invisible files.

I will _guess_ that there are a few items that CCC doesn't routinely copy, but that the app is smart enough to recognize which files those are….

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let CCC backup EVERYthing.
That's what I do. Obviously, I could tell CCC to exclude the cache folders, the sleepimage file and the swap files but the work effort for that outways the risk of my being overly aggressive and excluding something I may regret later.

I love the simplicity of selecting the source/destination and knowing everything got copied.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
But then that got me thinking, is there anything else I should exclude from my clone? Any non-essential system files? Should I exclude the entire "var" folder during the cloning process?

Just leave CCC at the default settings. There actually is a long list of unnecessary items it excludes. List here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.