Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
If only T-Mobile would have gotten an AWS iphone last year, I never would have switched to AT&T. T-Mobile has a very speedy HSPA+ network here, and with unlimited data too, plus simultaneous voice and data. I would switch back in a heartbeat, but like many others I am owned by AT&T. It would ne nearly $450 to buy out of my contracts and then selling my mom's 4S and buy her a T-Mobile AWS iphone.

):

Anyone else who wishes they would have made this happen last year? The aggravation.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
You may want to consider changing your thread title to "T-Mobile is TOO late FOR ME now" or "Great news from T-Mobile!...but I got impatient, jumped the gun, and am now 'owned' by AT&T" or something else that doesn't place blame on T-Mobile for doing whatever they wanted to do whenever they wanted to do it.

Anyway, if $450 is what it'd cost you to switch and if you wouldn't need a new handset every couple of years, then it'll pay for itself eventually (and then some, after more time passes):

Mr. Legere said that over two years, an iPhone on T-Mobile would cost $1,000 less than it would on AT&T. That would apply to heavy data users. But when looking at the cheapest plans on both carriers, the difference is much narrower. For example, an iPhone 5 on T-Mobile’s plan with unlimited text messages, unlimited minutes and 500 megabytes of data a month is only $360 cheaper over two years than an AT&T plan with unlimited voice and text and one gigabyte of data a month.
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/t...-pricing-with-no-contracts.html?smid=pl-share

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I am wondering if AT&T might switch to this model, or maybe the others, although I think Sprint sold themselves out to Apple for a lot of $, so they may not be able to, and since you can not use any phones on VZ and Sprint, those two may never be able to at least in the near future anyway.

Might save me some $ if AT&T did this, although I heard a rumor that the Government was looking into getting rid of unlimited data all over (again I do not think it will happen, but heard it from two sources) so you begin to wonder if going forward, getting a wireless plan will be like ordering food.

You get the basic menu item and then you customize it, each thing you do costs a little more etc.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Is the AT&T service lacking in your area? I'll say that T-mobile's new approach is compelling and definitely competitive--but there is a reason they have to get this aggressive and that's because the T-mobile network isn't half of what AT&T has let alone Verizon. You are paying more but getting more.

I guess you are the exception and live in one of the rare areas T-mobile service is good but drive out of that little island of coverage and it will likely suck.

Look at it this way, by the time your contract is up with AT&T then *maybe* T-mobile will have launched LTE in more places and have better coverage.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I guess you are the exception and live in one of the rare areas T-mobile service is good but drive out of that little island of coverage and it will likely suck.
Is that how it is around where you're at?

Down here in SE VA, T-Mobile's coverage is on par with AT&T.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
T-Mobile has awesome coverage for me near Tampa. Their 3G speeds put Verizon and AT&T to shame. LTE is another story, but that'll be coming soon enough.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Most people could easily sell their AT&T iphones on Craiglist and easily make up the money they would be charged by AT&T for breaking their contract. If people really want to leave AT&T, it's not that hard to do.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
You may want to consider changing your thread title to "T-Mobile is TOO late FOR ME now" or "Great news from T-Mobile!...but I got impatient, jumped the gun, and am now 'owned' by AT&T" or something else that doesn't place blame on T-Mobile for doing whatever they wanted to do whenever they wanted to do it.

Anyway, if $450 is what it'd cost you to switch and if you wouldn't need a new handset every couple of years, then it'll pay for itself eventually (and then some, after more time passes):

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/t...-pricing-with-no-contracts.html?smid=pl-share

bwuahahha i was thinking the SAME thing...

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

Since when does AT&T offer a plan with 1GB a month?

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I've been on T-Mobile for years and just waited it out. Looking forward to finally getting the iPhone, and it's not too late for me.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
If T-Mobile can get it's LTE out across the country as promised over the next year, I believe they will change the game. When the iPhone 6 comes out, I could see many people jumping ship to T-Mobile, especially if they do not change their pricing structure. Getting ulimited LTE data, voice and text for $70 a month would force AT&T and Verizon to rethink their business plan. Again this is all a big IF. Personally, I don't think T Mobile will have nationwide LTE within a year.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah, it would have been nicer if T-Mobile got the 1700 MHz iPhone in 2012 or 2011. Or 2010.

But it just means I will be switching to T-Mobile in 2014 instead of 2012 or 2013.

AT&T's Mobile Share plans with unlimited talk & text start at 1 GB:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#tab2

Low-tier Data Plans are terrible.

You "save" a few bucks on the lower data plans, but then have to pay a higher per-device fee!

You may knock $20 off your data plan, but then when you have to pay an additional $10 or $15 per device, you've saved nothing.

Four phones ($45 each) w/ 1GB ($40): $220
Four phones ($40 each) w/ 4GB ($70): $230
Four phones ($35 each) w/ 6GB ($90): $230
Four phones ($30 each) w/ 10GB ($120): $240

Last edited:

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I hope you all know that T-Mobile WILL move to tiered data plans when their subscriber numbers increase. They have to offer this carrot on a stick in order to win subscribers from AT&T and Verizon. Unfortunately for them, I think they will attract subscribers who are heavy data users and are currently paying a lot for a tiered data plan with one of the other Telcos. Once that is accomplished, the carrot to join T-Mobile will be lower prices, but I can see unlimited data going away. T-Mobile will have to deal with the same infrastructure costs as its competitors.

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
I've been on T-Mobile for years and just waited it out. Looking forward to finally getting the iPhone, and it's not too late for me.

Same here! Glad i waited. I've had a factory unlocked 4S, but the signal on EDGE is brutal...

Last edited:

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Well if you switched last year then you only have one more year to go. Just be patient. Besides, their service will be better next year with LTE in more cities.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
T-Mobile is too late now

If i had known they were doing this, I too would have waited and gone TMobile. :-/

18mos to go now.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Most people could easily sell their AT&T iphones on Craiglist and easily make up the money they would be charged by AT&T for breaking their contract. If people really want to leave AT&T, it's not that hard to do.

Why would I sell my phones and go to an inferior service, just to save some money?

T-Mobile has a trash network and is lagging behind even Sprint in network deployment. They got 3G last (still deploying BTW) and have gotten LTE last. Before TMo gets most major areas with LTE, VZW and AT&T will be moving towards LTE-A deployment.

They're catering to a lower class with the cheaper price and everyone is eating their crap right up. I don't think that some people understand that just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's necessarily better. Why would I pay a little less and have EDGE everywhere, when I can be on LTE everywhere with AT&T/VZW in my area?

----------

If T-Mobile can get it's LTE out across the country as promised over the next year
They don't even have a nationwide 3G network...

AT&T 3G (edge is blue)
2p4rU

VZW 3G (1x is blue)
2p4SL

TMo 3G (edge is blue)
2p4h5

TMo isn't even remotely comparable and they have significantly more 2G than anyone else.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They are 5-6 years behind.
Every major carrier had the iPhone for a while now besides them.
In US at least, Verizon only got theirs just when a CDMA version of the 4 was released, only 2 years ago (and Sprint got it around the same time, if not even a bit later). It was really just AT&T that had it all (as far as iPhones are concerned) until just 2 years ago.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I have to agree with others that Tmobile is inferior to the other carriers. That's why their prices are so low. It's Verizon>AT&T>Sprint>Tmobile.

When it comes to an individual plan, you're talking about $20 difference. That's like not eating out 1-2 times a month. I personally don't have a landline so the difference is minimal to me. I care about quality service. The great thing about Verizon for me is that I've always had signal when people of other carriers don't. My signal has been great in Southern California and Michigan (Ann Arbor/Detroit). Plus I have always had LTE wherever I went in SoCal.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
This makes me wonder if AT&T or other competitors could eventually implement this strategy into their business. Especially if this works out in T-Mobiles favor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.