Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UNCMo96

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I was looking to buy a USB hub for my rMBP. Right now I only have one USB 3 device and the rest are USB 2. Are there any hubs that allow you to hook up both USB3 and USB2 devices (and keep them at their respective speeds)?

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
USB 3 hubs are still relatively pricey - since people swimming in the most up-to-date devices are obviously not very limited by cost. I'd recommend using a good old-fashioned USB 2 hub for all your devices, and using the other port on your computer for your single USB 3 device.

Most (maybe all) USB 3 hubs are backwards-compatible with USB 2 devices, though.

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
I have Belin USB 2.0 hub bought at apple store. It's all right, built quality is perfect, but it is still 2.0.

I had to use more USB 3.0 devices so the only resonable prices USB 3.0 hub was Lindys (in UK). It works like a charm so no I can have 8 USB ports, including 4 USB 3.0 which is nice.

It's kind of strange, why still nowadays there is no USB 3.0 at good price and good build quality.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I have Belin USB 2.0 hub bought at apple store. It's all right, built quality is perfect, but it is still 2.0.

I had to use more USB 3.0 devices so the only resonable prices USB 3.0 hub was Lindys (in UK). It works like a charm so no I can have 8 USB ports, including 4 USB 3.0 which is nice.

It's kind of strange, why still nowadays there is no USB 3.0 at good price and good build quality.

So that lindys hub is reliable for USB 3.0? Would you please provide a link?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.