Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

T-Mobile Name ID Feature

Does anyone know if there is an app or feature for AT&T that does this? It allows you to see who is calling and where they are calling from?

This would be helpful on my IP5 on AT&T
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

I don't understand. AT&T has caller ID. It shows the name and phone number unless the caller is blocking it. If they don't show the number I don't answer it.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:04 PM   #3
boshii
macrumors 68040

Lol. OG iPhone does this.
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

You mean caller ID? Yes, I would assume they have it, the location is simply based off the area code, it won't show you where the person physically is, it will show you where the phone number is based.
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:04 PM   #5
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
I don't understand. AT&T has caller ID. It shows the name and phone number unless the caller is blocking it. If they don't show the number I don't answer it.
Actually, AT&T shows the number only. If the number happens to match a name in your contacts, then the iPhone will display it.

It IS possible for a carrier to send both Caller ID number and name info, but the name part costs money and requires a siubscription to a database, so most wireless carriers tend to forgo it.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:18 PM   #6
CSMchris376
macrumors regular

Actually AT&T sends the number and the City/State for the number location. The only way to see the name is if it exists in your contact list.

It is funny though, because, for example, if my son calls my house (AT&T) from his cell, the Caller ID on my home phone will show his wireless number and his name, whereas many of the wireless numbers from other carriers in our area display the number and Wireless Caller for the name.
CSMchris376 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone