Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
SteveAbootman
macrumors 6502a

Restart Leads to Major Malfunction

This doesn't look good...

My 2008 Dual Core iMac that's had no previous hardware issues has apparently reached the end of it's life. I restarted it last night and was greeted with something that reminded me of the 8 bit Nintendo days. Wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar looking screen and what steps I might take to fix this, or at least recover some of my files. Most are backed up but I'd really like a working computer again.

Things I've thought might be able to fix the problem that I'm planning on trying when I get home:

1) Swapping out the upgraded RAM I put in about 3 months ago with the stock RAM that came with the machine.
2) Figuring out a way to run a Boot CD (is there a Mac equivalent to Knoppix?) and try to recover the Hard Drive
3) Pray

Anything I could be missing here? If not, looks like I'm in the market for a new Mac.

(Note: The error message just says I need to restart the computer, which obviously doesn't solve the problem. The message is then repeated in different languages.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Computer Malfunction.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	404842  

SteveAbootman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:08 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAbootman View Post
This doesn't look good...

My 2008 Dual Core iMac that's had no previous hardware issues has apparently reached the end of it's life. I restarted it last night and was greeted with something that reminded me of the 8 bit Nintendo days. Wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar looking screen and what steps I might take to fix this, or at least recover some of my files. Most are backed up but I'd really like a working computer again.

Things I've thought might be able to fix the problem that I'm planning on trying when I get home:

1) Swapping out the upgraded RAM I put in about 3 months ago with the stock RAM that came with the machine.
2) Figuring out a way to run a Boot CD (is there a Mac equivalent to Knoppix?) and try to recover the Hard Drive
3) Pray

Anything I could be missing here? If not, looks like I'm in the market for a new Mac.

(Note: The error message just says I need to restart the computer, which obviously doesn't solve the problem. The message is then repeated in different languages.)
Have you tried simply restarting it again? If you get a screen that looks like this:
Thumb resize.
It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, you don't need to worry about it.
Quote:
In most cases, kernel panics are not caused by an issue with your Mac. They are most likely caused by an issue external to your Mac. If the kernel panic doesn't happen again within a few weeks, you don't need to troubleshoot further.
If it does happen again, this may help:
"You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) message appears (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6)
OS X Mountain Lion: If “You need to restart your computer” appears
Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic
Understanding and Debugging Kernel Panics
Resolving Kernel Panics
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:16 PM   #3
SteveAbootman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Have you tried simply restarting it again? If you get a screen that looks like this:
Thumb resize.
It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, you don't need to worry about it.

If it does happen again, this may help:
"You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) message appears (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6)
OS X Mountain Lion: If “You need to restart your computer” appears
Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic
Understanding and Debugging Kernel Panics
Resolving Kernel Panics
Looks like some good resources. I'll check them out. Thanks!

I tried restarting 3 times last night, each time with the same unfortunate result which led me to believe the hard drive became corrupted. On 2 of the 3 restarts I unplugged all peripherals I had plugged into the machine as well to see if that made a difference.

SteveAbootman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"Swapping out the upgraded RAM I put in about 3 months ago with the stock RAM that came with the machine."

DO THIS FIRST.

What happens next?
Fishrrman is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac