Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
London
OK. Seriously, seriously annoyed.

Laptop on bed with iPhone. Didn't realise iPhone was there. Lift covers up--iPhone takes flight and brushes screen....looking closely can see there is a 'chip' or blemish which feels like a crusty bit of something on the screen.

I am normally SUPER careful (look how unmarked the rest of the display is).

I'm gonna take it to the store. Its recently been repaired for logic board problems.

What are my best chances of getting a free display, story wise? I want to claim innocence and say I've just noticed it after I got it repaired, no idea...help? Any other ideas?

I just can't afford to pay for a replacement display for this size of a mark, but I know its gonna bug me for the next few years.

Attachments

• IMG_9163.jpeg
    IMG_9163.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 7,630

Min5oo

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Chicago, IL
What are my best chances of getting a free display, story wise? I want to claim innocence and say I've just noticed it after I got it repaired, no idea...help? Any other ideas?

I just can't afford to pay for a replacement display for this size of a mark, but I know its gonna bug me for the next few years.

Please do not post on a public forum asking for help on how to commit fraud, lie, and avoid paying for something that is clearly your fault by admission.

I suggest deleting the contents of this post and rethinking your judgment, Mr. Medical Student.

Last edited:

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
London
Ok.....I'm not gonna delete it as it will only serve the purpose of me moving to a different forum somewhere else on the web and asking a similar question until I find some help.

I have to explain that it is like having a bit of spit on the screen. I buy Macbooks maybe once every 5 years and this is brand new so if I'd like to get around this any way I can...even if that does mean telling a porkie to Mr Moneybags...

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
How about you say you know it is completely 100% your fault (which it is) and hope they are nice to you and will give you a discount or do the replacement for free. But don't lie. They will know that the display did not come new with a small chip.

Your other option is if it is a rMBP, for you to look for ghosting. If it is serious and cannot pass the test, they will replace the screen for you. If you do not have a rMBP or no ghosting, admit that it is your fault, pay up or live with it.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
It is never okay to lie regardless of to whom or the circumstances. On the flipside, would you like it if you were rich and someone lied in order to make monetary gains from you? No one one, rich or poor.

I suggest you be more careful in the future and tell Apple the truth. Maybe they'll take pity on you and give you a free screen replacement. But don't lie. Seriously, your parents must have taught you better.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
London
How about you say you know it is completely 100% your fault (which it is) and hope they are nice to you and will give you a discount or free. But don't lie. They will know that the display did not come new with a small chip.

Your other option is if it is a rMBP, for you to look for ghosting. If it is serious and cannot pass the test, they will replace the screen for you. If you do not have a rMBP or no ghosting, admit that it is your fault, pay up or live with it.

Ah haaa sensible advice from someone, thank you good sir.

I haven't got ghosting as I've got a Samsung display so thats a no go. I'll try and beg with them...I will tear my hair out if I have to live with this for 5 years...

----------

It is never okay to lie regardless of to whom or the circumstances. On the flipside, would you like it if you were rich and someone lied in order to make monetary gains from you? No one one, rich or poor.

I suggest you be more careful in the future and tell Apple the truth. Maybe they'll take pity on you and give you a free screen replacement. But don't lie. Seriously, your parents must have taught you better.

Yes I am lying but I've got to say a) I'm not dealing with a person and b) of course my parents taught me better but actually my Dad would be bloody pleased with me if I got a £500 repair for free from Apple rather than asking him to front the cash.

And actually I'd love to know who here would go in and say I did it, and knowingly have to pay that amount instead of windle another story they were told works and get it for free (which is what I'm asking for). I seriously, seriously doubt many would go for the former option, despite what the upstanding moral people of MacRumors might type from the comfort of their imagination.

----------

But don't get me wrong I also agree its never 'right' to lie but I'm sorry one lie is certainly not the same as any other, like "we know they have WMDs" is not the same as "I have no idea how the chip got there". Anyone with a brain can see this.

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010

I haven't got ghosting as I've got a Samsung display so thats a no go. I'll try and beg with them...I will tear my hair out if I have to live with this for 5 years...

----------

Yes I am lying but I've got to say a) I'm not dealing with a person and b) of course my parents taught me better but actually my Dad would be bloody pleased with me if I got a £500 repair for free from Apple rather than asking him to front the cash.

And actually I'd love to know who here would go in and say I did it, and knowingly have to pay that amount instead of windle another story they were told works and get it for free (which is what I'm asking for). I seriously, seriously doubt many would go for the former option, despite what the upstanding moral people of MacRumors might type from the comfort of their imagination.

----------

But don't get me wrong I also agree its never 'right' to lie but I'm sorry one lie is certainly not the same as any other, like "we know they have WMDs" is not the same as "I have no idea how the chip got there". Anyone with a brain can see this.

Go ahead and talk yourself into believing whatever you want to believe. Obviously, no one had a lie you can use to get your screen replaced.

Why don't you just say it came like that and see if it works. That is on you, kid.

If it works, great, if it doesn't, great. I couldn't really care any less than I do right now.

But please spare us from the argument that your lie to Apple is in some way akin to The United States of America claiming that Iraq has WMDs.

Tell your lie, grow up, and GTFO.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
My kid once spilled his apple juice on my ,acbook pro. I brought it to the Apple store and told them the whole story. The optical drive was fried because of that.

Result is they changed my drive for free.. No charge..

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
If you can't find any ghosting then look for dead pixels, yellowing, mura, or exploding pixels.

Seriously though you'd be surprised at how understanding Apple in general can be about these types of scenarios. And you really should at the very least offer to pay for some of the repair. Asking for "a free display" is being kind of obnoxious TBH.

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
My uncle banged the lid of my mbpr with an open hand and they next day I noticed a dead pixel, then Apple replaced it for free. I also had ghosting.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Ok.....I'm not gonna delete it as it will only serve the purpose of me moving to a different forum somewhere else on the web and asking a similar question until I find some help.

So, when you become a doctor and leave a sponge inside a patient are you going to figure out a story then too?

Ethics fail.

Estes

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2012
Somerville, AL
I was kayaking a few years ago and didn't properly seal my dry bag, which lead to water getting into it and drowning my iPhone. I went in and told the truth (and even entered with borrowed cash from my parents because I literally had no money to replace it). I was open and upfront about what happened and took full blame, since it was my fault, and they offered to give me a brand new one for free right there on the spot. I didn't have AppleCare or any other kind of insurance, they just took care of it.

Apple's customer service, even more than their hardware/software, is the reason why it will be hard for me to ever switch to some other company.

aman20177

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2013
OK. Seriously, seriously annoyed.

Laptop on bed with iPhone. Didn't realise iPhone was there. Lift covers up--iPhone takes flight and brushes screen....looking closely can see there is a 'chip' or blemish which feels like a crusty bit of something on the screen.

I am normally SUPER careful (look how unmarked the rest of the display is).

I'm gonna take it to the store. Its recently been repaired for logic board problems.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
My experience of someone who has traveled extensively with Mac`s is Apple in the UK, is not as benevolent as stateside, equally this is your best recourse; be open and honest and you may get lucky. Alternatively pay for the damage you caused yourself or live with it.

Remember Apple`s benevolence is never free we all pay indirectly at the point of sale, thinking otherwise is naive. Deliberately exchanging units for nonsense reason, and in this case considering fraudulently claiming damage during a repair only help to keep costs higher.

Apple will reject any physical damage, of course if you choose to lie and blame them for the damage all you will achieve is to send a clear message to them that you are a blatant liar, and you can forget any chance of future goodwill help. Apple techs check the condition of Mac`s incoming and outgoing, so they will know your game, or do you think you are the first to come up with this well thought out strategy...

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
There is a 0% chance that Apple will replace the screen for free, no matter what you say. Such an obvious blemish wouldn't pass factory inspection or repair reports.

Replacement is $700 USD. Next time use a $20 screen protector if you're clumsy. Retina screens are not cheap.

F1 Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Germany

...and so Apple should pay for it... Because that's how things work. I if want something I can't afford then someone else should pay for it. Sounds like theft to me.

Really sorry this happened to you. I'd be massively gutted too. However you look at it though, this was your fault.

Tell them the truth, they might take pity on you (though I doubt it) or they might be able to give you advise on how to minimise the cost.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Take responsibility for your own actions.

And here's a tip - be honest with them, and they might cut you some slack. Lie, and they'll see right through it an your chances of getting it cheap/free will be 0.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

----------

----------

God I hate the youth of today. It's not that you use ridiculous comparisons (Well, I didn't kill anyone so it's fine, lying to Apple didn't start a war, etc.) or that you have full knowledge that you're lying and don't care, that you're too much of a child to take responsibility for your actions or even that somehow you think your dad should pay for this and will be proud of your lying and trying to scam a company.

Nope, it's not those, it's that you're so short sighted and cheap that you have no idea or perception that your actions effect other people. Apple used to (and, in some ways still does) have some of the best customer service anywhere. Unfortunately, as they became more popular, more and more people like you come along and abuse their leniency and quality of service making it much, much harder for those of us with legitimate problems to actually get the service and care we've come to expect form them. You know about Costco's awesome return and exchange policy? Of course you don't, they ended it because people like you kept abusing it. So sure, go in, lie about how your screen "just stopped working" and how you "have no idea what happened". Hell, maybe you'll even get a free phone. I just hope someday that someone buys something off of you, breaks it, and then steals from you. Because that's all you're doing.

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
I don't necessarily advocate lying but Apple is not the sacrosanct people on these forums make them out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Tell them the what happened, it will get you on a better ground for a considering of discount.
I have worked in retail for some years now, and you just know when some one is full of ****.
You do not want to be nice to people who do not consider you a human being.

If you go in telling them what happened, acting normal, down to the ground and nice. you will get much longer.
People in retail are nice to people there are nice to them.
why would anyone be nice to a lier? why should a someone be nice and go out of their way to some one yelling and blaming others for their mistake or lack of understanding of the product (in app transactions;)).

So as others say, be honest and crawl to the cross (in the spirt of easter) and you will be standing on the best grounds, morally and in the eyes of the 1 there can makes the call

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
London
God I hate the youth of today. It's not that you use ridiculous comparisons (Well, I didn't kill anyone so it's fine, lying to Apple didn't start a war, etc.) or that you have full knowledge that you're lying and don't care, that you're too much of a child to take responsibility for your actions or even that somehow you think your dad should pay for this and will be proud of your lying and trying to scam a company.

Nope, it's not those, it's that you're so short sighted and cheap that you have no idea or perception that your actions effect other people. Apple used to (and, in some ways still does) have some of the best customer service anywhere. Unfortunately, as they became more popular, more and more people like you come along and abuse their leniency and quality of service making it much, much harder for those of us with legitimate problems to actually get the service and care we've come to expect form them. You know about Costco's awesome return and exchange policy? Of course you don't, they ended it because people like you kept abusing it. So sure, go in, lie about how your screen "just stopped working" and how you "have no idea what happened". Hell, maybe you'll even get a free phone. I just hope someday that someone buys something off of you, breaks it, and then steals from you. Because that's all you're doing.

Although perhaps considered a youth of today I might point out that I have cherished and cared for an iMac G4 since 2002, a good 11 years of servitude to the :apple: religion

Although again, I do understand that being a long term customer ≠ right to new display

Still quite amazed at how riled up people have gotten...even received a PM from someone 8 years my junior with a lecture on ethics, morality and how to spend my money!

Last edited:

cas85

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
Since you're such an honest guy, send it to me and I'll fix your problem for free. You won't have to look at it for the next 5 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.