Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1
kufford
macrumors 6502

Deleted Messages.app. What packages from Pacifist?

Hi,

I got pissed off the other day and deleted Microsoft Office. Unfortunately, I also deleted Messages.app. I don't want to reinstall OSX as everything is set up correctly. I don't have a TM backup; I use Backblaze and Dropbox for backup purposes so that's not an option.

I've managed to install Messages.app but am missing the XMPP plugin. Any ideas on what packages I need to install with Pacifist?

Thanks,

Ken
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Elbert C
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufford View Post
Hi,

I got pissed off the other day and deleted Microsoft Office. Unfortunately, I also deleted Messages.app. I don't want to reinstall OSX as everything is set up correctly. I don't have a TM backup; I use Backblaze and Dropbox for backup purposes so that's not an option.

I've managed to install Messages.app but am missing the XMPP plugin. Any ideas on what packages I need to install with Pacifist?

Thanks,

Ken
Which version OS X is on your Mac?
Elbert C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:26 AM   #3
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

1. This is of course one of the advantages of doing a complete back up, whether by TM or other software, so that you can restore any system files or other bits that you accidentally delete.

2. Is there not an MS Office uninstaller?

3. Are you talking about the XMPP.framework that normally resides in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks?
For the record, anything in /System is likely to be Apple only, and important or necessary. Never delete ANYTHING from /System. Attempt no landings there.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:01 PM   #4
kufford
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbert C View Post
Which version OS X is on your Mac?
I'm running 10.8.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
1. This is of course one of the advantages of doing a complete back up, whether by TM or other software, so that you can restore any system files or other bits that you accidentally delete.

2. Is there not an MS Office uninstaller?

3. Are you talking about the XMPP.framework that normally resides in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks?
For the record, anything in /System is likely to be Apple only, and important or necessary. Never delete ANYTHING from /System. Attempt no landings there.
1) Yes, I know. I made the choice as this machine travels with me quite a bit. I can always reinstall but I wanted to ask here first.
2) There's a manual uninstaller but I was in a hurry. I used AppCleaner which has never failed me, however, I've never uninstalled a key part of my system.
3) Meh. I've done it before, will do it again if necessary. I just need to know what packages are missing to pull from the OSX ESD image.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:51 AM   #5
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I used AppCleaner. I just need to know what packages are missing to pull from the OSX ESD image.
There's no way of knowing what AppCleaner removed. So your best option is a reinstall. Generally "cleaner" apps are more trouble than they are worth.

Quote:
3) Meh. I've done it before, will do it again if necessary.
It is almost never necessary to delete stuff from /System.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion