Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeSay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Coromandel Valley, Adelaide
I recently purchased my very 1st Mac, a 27 inch 2012 iMac, so I am very new to this operating system. I can't seem to get Finder to remember the window size I set on reboot. Every time I restart, the Finder window goes back to a very small default size.

Is there a way I can set the default size of the window and have the system remember it when I restart?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Close all windows.
Open one.
Set it as you want it.
Close it.
All new windows should now be based on that one.

JoeSay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Coromandel Valley, Adelaide
Yes, I do that. But then when I shut down for the night and restart in the morning I'm back to a small window again.

Why? Surely the OS is smart enough to remember my preferences? My windows 7 PC can!

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Yes, I do that. But then when I shut down for the night and restart in the morning I'm back to a small window again.

Why? Surely the OS is smart enough to remember my preferences? My windows 7 PC can!

Your Mac should remember your finder preferences. Try and remove the preference file (click on the go menu in finder, and hold the option key and click "library" then find the folder "preferences". Find and delete the file "com.apple.finder.plist". Then log out and see if that helps... though you will have to set your prefs again)

gfish

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
How are you opening a new Finder window? Are you clicking Finder in the Dock or double-clicking the MacHD icon? On my Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard, when I open a Finder window the default window placement is different for these two methods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.