Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Is this possible at all or am I stuck? I have a few vids of the kids I'd like to back up...

If it's not I guess I will stop taking vids/photos with my ipad, but that's really a shame...

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
That's what iTunes software is for (among many other things). If you haven't been syncing your iPad to your computer (or using iCloud on both the iPad and PC), you ought to - there's probably a bit more than some videos that should be backed up on a regular basis. If you're already syncing with iTunes, check your sync settings.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1296

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Is this possible at all or am I stuck? I have a few vids of the kids I'd like to back up...

If it's not I guess I will stop taking vids/photos with my ipad, but that's really a shame...

By "PC" do you mean a Windows machine? If so, when you connect to a computer (NO NEED FOR ITUNES, BTW), open up your "My Computer" folder, and you should see your Apple device. Open that to see the DCIM folder inside which are one or more folders that contain your photos/videos. You can drag any and all content out and onto your PC. You cannot, however, drag anything INTO your iDevice this way.

Regards,
Tom

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

There are a few ways. iTunes for one. If you want to backup just the vids then Dropbox is a great option. Also, Google Drive or if you have a Picasa account(gmail) then there are multiple apps that will allow you to upload to that service. I like WebAlbums for this. As the other poster said, if you're using a Windows machine then you can access it all from the DCIM folder through my computer.

Personally, I think Dropbox is the best solution for just about any type of file. You will always have it available. There is no worry that a hard drive will crash, you don't have to worry about misplacing a USB and all you're content is available for you anywhere. So if you want to show that video to someone you can send them a link to that file or pull it up on their computer. Hope this helps.

DesertGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks everyone! By PC I mean a windows machine, so the simplest will be to connect the device straight to the PC.

Now if I can only figure out a way to repair that cracked screen compliments of my 2 year old...:eek:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks everyone! By PC I mean a windows machine, so the simplest will be to connect the device straight to the PC.

Now if I can only figure out a way to repair that cracked screen compliments of my 2 year old...:eek:

Unless there is something screwy with your version of windows it should read the iPad as a digital camera and import via windows explorer. Might take a few minutes for it to come up and you need to make sure its not pass code locked

As for the cracked screen, take it to Apple. Yes it will cost you but you won't be getting questionable work using likely way sub quality parts and a voided warranty from some repair shop that says they can save you a ton that way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.