Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Blighty
My wife is multi-lingual and uses the international keyboard options in the system prefs to access a few different language keyboards.

Not a problem on my desktop mac but not so on my rMBP...

When I went to wake it up and put in my access code, it refused to accept it - doing a wiggly shake screen thing. My wife (who had just used it) was upset and insisted she had done nothing to it!

We finally figured out that she'd had it on another language keyboard and had let it go to sleep. Thankfully she was able to work out where all the relevant keys were and get into it again, but...

...that was only thanks to the fact that the language was 'Latin Character' based. Another of her languages uses Cyrillic. The implications (sickening) slowly dawned on me and I immediately removed that option from the languages in the tool bar.

If it had gone to sleep with a Cyrillic keyboard, then whatever we tapped into it would have been unrecognisable by my mbp.

My desktop sleeps but I don't use a code to get in, as only family have the use of it, so it's never been a problem until now.

Be warned. I have no idea how to get into a mac if this ever happened.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
How about you all use numeric logins? Aren't the number keys consistent across the languages?

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Don't worry about that, turn the international keyboards back on. I also have Arabic along with the English keyboard. Just make sure to turn on this option in System Prefrences -> Users & Groups -> Login Options.

ScreenShot2013-03-28at121907PM_zps1c6cfa5e.png

;)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Don't worry about that, turn the international keyboards back on. I also have Arabic along with the English keyboard. Just make sure to turn on this option in System Prefrences -> Users & Groups -> Login Options.

;)

Good catch, it should be on by default, now, if that option is not there and someone else uses the Mac you are in trouble.

heyapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Blighty

;)

Thanks for that. I've made that change.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
My wife is multi-lingual and uses the international keyboard options in the system prefs to access a few different language keyboards.

Not a problem on my desktop mac but not so on my rMBP...

When I went to wake it up and put in my access code, it refused to accept it - doing a wiggly shake screen thing. My wife (who had just used it) was upset and insisted she had done nothing to it!

We finally figured out that she'd had it on another language keyboard and had let it go to sleep. Thankfully she was able to work out where all the relevant keys were and get into it again, but...

...that was only thanks to the fact that the language was 'Latin Character' based. Another of her languages uses Cyrillic. The implications (sickening) slowly dawned on me and I immediately removed that option from the languages in the tool bar.

If it had gone to sleep with a Cyrillic keyboard, then whatever we tapped into it would have been unrecognisable by my mbp.

My desktop sleeps but I don't use a code to get in, as only family have the use of it, so it's never been a problem until now.

Be warned. I have no idea how to get into a mac if this ever happened.

OMG-Thanks for the warning. I work many months a year in Bulgaria and am sorta learning the Language. I have a Cyrillic keyboard on my iPhone and iPad and I use it often. Glad to know to keep that part of my life away from my RMBP when I get it

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
OMG-Thanks for the warning. I work many months a year in Bulgaria and am sorta learning the Language. I have a Cyrillic keyboard on my iPhone and iPad and I use it often. Glad to know to keep that part of my life away from my RMBP when I get it
Read the rest od the thread ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.