Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Okay so I am going to my local computer store to buy RAM after work today as they have it a LOT cheaper than anywhere online at the moment.. But I can't decide which is need, the 8gb kit is £50 and 16gb kit is £80.. If I don't need the extra then I would rather save myself £30.

I mainly just have many firefox tabs open, itunes and sometimes league of legends as well as I have 2 monitors so that is on one and the rest is on another.

I hear unless I am doing video editing stuff, which I don't, then 16gb would be a waste?

I have the 2012 mini btw.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
8 Gb will do I think, be careful with buying RAM, Macs can be picky and it's not the first time the new RAM will have problems, Crucial seems to be the one to have the least problems, Corsair plenty.
Test the RAM ASAP after you get it inside the Mac, Apple Hardware Test can do the job, run the extended Test, to get into AHT hold D at startup.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
8 Gb will do I think, be careful with buying RAM, Macs can be picky and it's not the first time the new RAM will have problems, Crucial seems to be the one to have the least problems, Corsair plenty.
Test the RAM ASAP after you get it inside the Mac, Apple Hardware Test can do the job, run the extended Test, to get into AHT hold D at startup.

Will be buying 2 of these, do you think it will be okay?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/integral-pc3-12800-ddr3-laptop-memory-4gb-sodimm-ram-19713395-pdt.html

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
If you are going to keep your Mini for a long time then I would max out the Mini and go with 16GB so you never have to think about upgrading the RAM again. You never know if the coming versions of OS X will be hungrier for memory than Mountain Lion. However future proofing is just the way I always think. Therefore as mentioned already 8GB would probably be fine for most applications today.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
As I said before, Macs can be picky and nobody can guarantee you this will work, Crucial does work but they are expensive in Europe.

I bought myself a Base 2012 Mini in Singapore, got a free 8 GB upgrade with it, now, that's a good deal unlike in Europe or the US.

Crucial memory has jumped from £76 to £103 for the 16gb kit in the last 6 weeks, should of gone for it at the time. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.