Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Call Recorder is now available ! :D

https://twitter.com/limneos/status/317208899725971456

License is per device $3.99
Works on iPhone 5 - Speaker and earpiece
Works on iPhone 4S - Speaker only

I have it installed and running on my iPhone 5, 6.1.2

I believe it is a great enhancement to our devices ! :apple:

Attachments

• IMG_0225.PNG
    IMG_0225.PNG
    115.9 KB · Views: 20,547
Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Call Recorder is now available ! :D

https://twitter.com/limneos/status/317208899725971456

License is per device $3.99
Works on iPhone 5 - Speaker and earpiece
Works on iPhone 4S - Speaker only

I have it installed and running on my iPhone 5, 6.1.2

I believe it is a great enhancement to our devices ! :apple:

wowz!! At last! I can entirely switch to using iPhones from Bada / Symbian (the only two OS letting for true and flawless call recording) at last :) Will purchase it for my iPhone5 ASAP and report back.

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah i brought it and the found out that it only works on speakerphone on the iPhone 4S.

I hope it gets update for both as this was a little disappointing.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Hope so too, it's workable with the speaker but prefer the privacy of the earpiece.

Besides that an option to disable the warning altogether in line with jailbreak freedom, let the user decide the playback of the warning.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Besides that an option to disable the warning altogether in line with jailbreak freedom, let the user decide the playback of the warning.

On Twitter, the dev answered to the question "No answer? It does not fullfill it's purpose at all if "other side" get a notice! And it's legal witout!"

as

"the application has to comply with the laws of other countries too. Its purpose is not wire taping, btw."

That is, he has purposefully built warning beeps you can't disable into the code. We all should point his attention to the following facts:

1. all (better) Symbian call recorders not only don't implement "warning" beeps but even effectively silence them if it's the hardware / OS that generates them, as is the case with, say, the Nokia N95.

2. in many countries you're allowed to record calls even without the other party's knowing it.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hope so too, it's workable with the speaker but prefer the privacy of the earpiece.

I would like the option to use/not use the verbal warning also, but perhaps the developer felt it a requirement to "CYA" the hack.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I would like the option to use/not use the verbal warning also, but perhaps the developer felt it a requirement to "CYA" the hack.

He's unnecessarily cautious. No Symbian devs (and also those of Android call recorders) were ever forced to add warnings to their recorders.

Also, the absolutely excellent Skype call recorder, Skype Call Recorder, which has existed in Cydia for almost a year, wasn't forced to do so either.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Windows Mobile had this option already 5 years ago (the only + for winmo…)

I agree that the legal aspects should be covered, but on by default and a double confirmation of disabling the warning should be enough for a CYA, lets see what Ryan puts out :)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Windows Mobile had this option already 5 years ago (the only + for winmo…)

I agree that the legal aspects should be covered, but on by default and a double confirmation of disabling the warning should be enough for a CYA, lets see what Ryan puts out :)

Yup, none of the WinMo recorders beeped either.

Hope Ryan won't be THIS cautious.

isostar

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
hy guys, i agree it would be nice to have the option to disable the voice message for the other side, maybee there is a way to fix this with Flex in future, i will also ask Elias if he plans to update CallRecorder in future to disable the Voice message.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
hy guys, i agree it would be nice to have the option to disable the voice message for the other side, maybee there is a way to fix this with Flex in future, i will also ask Elias if he plans to update CallRecorder in future to disable the Voice message.

Thanks, please ask him. Also, you might want to point him to this thread so that he knows the vast majority of call recorders do NOT warn the other party when recording. Even the Skype recorder app in Cydia.

That is, his app will not be banned from Cydia for not warning the other party.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Purchased. It must be done directly on the device you plan to activate the license to.

Works great on my iPhone 5 when using its earpiece. (Will later test with BT / wired headset.)

Just trying to "hack" Library/PreferenceBundles/CallRecorderPreferences.bundle/en.lproj/warning.caf to remove the call recording message. Simply deleting or overwriting it with a zero-duration CAF file doesn't work.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Purchased. It must be done directly on the device you plan to activate the license to.

Works great on my iPhone 5 when using its earpiece. (Will later test with BT / wired headset.)

Just trying to "hack" Library/PreferenceBundles/CallRecorderPreferences.bundle/en.lproj/warning.caf to remove the call recording message. Simply deleting or overwriting it with a zero-duration CAF file doesn't work.

That would have been a nice trick!
I think he is working on it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
That would have been a nice trick!
I think he is working on it.

He had protected it quite diligently.

Just overwriting a localized file (e.g., the above-mentioned default US English one) with another one in another language also results in an error message. That is, unless he understands every other major recorder on WinMo / Android / Symbian (/Bada, with its built-in manual call recording support in 2.0) does NOT notify the other party of the call being recorded, the executable itself needs to be hacked.

BTW, some other tips I've come up with: should you want to back up all your calls, they're under
var/mobile/Library/Application Support/UltimateCallRecorder. As with Call Recorder for Skype, the in and output files are separate. Should you want to join them by hands, check out my for example Audacity tutorial (see section "Call Recorder for Skype compliance"). (Note that, with the new call recorder, you won't need to slow down anything, unlike with Call Recorder for Skype when operated with a BT headset.)

The directory also contains an SQLite database with all the metadata also present in the filename:

callrecsqlite.png

Unfortunately, from the GUI, all you can do is mail the individual recordings, which is, to put it mildly, far from easy if you have many recordings.

isostar

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
"i am consulting legal authorities for this and if its approved it will be optional."

That's what Elias just said so hoping for an update soon cross fingers guys ;)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
"i am consulting legal authorities for this and if its approved it will be optional."

That's what Elias just said so hoping for an update soon cross fingers guys ;)

Cool! Then, for the time being, I don't continue trying to hack/crack the obligatory audio playback.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Recording, while the recording warning is played back and the REC icon blinks (no error message is shown), doesn't work with the wired headset.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
New version (02-220) out. Did anyone try it?

(BTW, yesterday, I sent the dev a twitter message pointing out all other recorders not only don't play warning messages, but also many of them even suppress hardware-generated warnings. Hope he does remove the obligatory message. If he doesn't, I'll try to crack the protection around his warning callback files.)

isostar

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
New version (02-220) out. Did anyone try it?

(BTW, yesterday, I sent the dev a twitter message pointing out all other recorders not only don't play warning messages, but also many of them even suppress hardware-generated warnings. Hope he does remove the obligatory message. If he doesn't, I'll try to crack the protection around his warning callback files.)

I tried it but he didn't change anything regarding the message, but its good to hear that you will try to crack it, let me know if I can help you with sumthing, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.