Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
If Mini 2 Gets Retina, Who Will Buy iPad 5?

Especially if the Mini2 is $329, I would not. I assume it would include an upgrade to the processor as well.

What would be the market for an Ipad5 as you see it?
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Prawnstar69
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Im gonna be buying the ipad 5 128gb, i want a bigger screen since i got an iPhone and imac 24".. the 10inch ipad would be perfect and it is also faster than the mini
Prawnstar69 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:41 AM   #3
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
I doubt that a retina based mini will be the same price as the non-retina model. For the sake of discussion lets say that is the case. The major difference between the two models then will be size.

Another question is battery life, chipset and thinkness. Will a retina based mini be as thin as it is now, have similar battery life and how will the performance be pushing all those pixels.

Many people prefer the larger form factor as its easier on the eyes. I personally prefer the small tablet but I can see others liking the larger model.
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:21 AM   #4
OSMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I just prefer the larger screen model, easy to read, etc.

The mini is still too big to be put in my pockets ,
so no big advantage in carrying it vs a full size one.

I've had them all up to this one, but now the 4 does all I need,
Will not upgrade it this time.

Think Apple has an issue going forward as more and more will feel that way.
Same with my current Android phone, its a keeper now too.

The tech craze is fading here... was fun while it lasted.
OSMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Szarky
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMac View Post
Think Apple has an issue going forward as more and more will feel that way.
Same with my current Android phone, its a keeper now too.

The tech craze is fading here... was fun while it lasted.
I disagree. I think the iPad 5 will be a gigantic upgrade for anyone with an iPad 1 or 2. A lot of people don't upgrade to every new iteration like you do. A lot of people keep their devices for 2+ years before even considering upgrading. Now if you have a 3 or 4 it probably won't be worth it. I have an iPad 2 and I can't wait for a retina screen and better front and rear cameras. I also look forward to the bezels being reduced making the device just a bit smaller.

The iPad 3 and 4 could definitely lose some weight, would think by now they'd have the technology to shrink down a lot of the components making the device lighter. Would love the feeling I had when I picked up my girlfriends iPhone 5 compared to my 4S. I considered it a huge reduction in weight. If the iPad 5 could do that I would be really happy.

Last edited by Szarky; Mar 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Szarky is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Szarky
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
What would be the market for an Ipad5 as you see it?
Me. Someone who doesn't need the extra portability of the Mini because we use our iPads 95% of the time at home, on the couch or in bed. Like someone else mentioned, it's not like the Mini fits in your pocket like the Nexus 7 does so it's not THAT much more portable than the full size iPad.

I personally read graphic novels/comics and a lot of websites on my iPad so the extra screen size is a huge help especially since it displays most graphic novels at 1:1 unlike the Mini that shrinks them down and you have to pinch and zoom a lot.
Szarky is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:49 AM   #7
OSMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
I disagree. I think the iPad 5 will be a gigantic upgrade for anyone with an iPad 1 or 2. ....
Was just speaking for myself.
I agree anyone with a 1 or 2 would find a discounted 4 or 5 a nice upgrade indeed.

I'm joining those who sit out the yearly upgrades,
my iPad and phone are like my TV or computer now,
work's great and no reason to run out and get the next one.
OSMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Szarky
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMac View Post
I'm joining those who sit out the yearly upgrades,
my iPad and phone are like my TV or computer now,
work's great and no reason to run out and get the next one.
Yea I know what you mean, tough to resist but just makes sense to skip a few iterations. I'm just desperate to get rid of my 2 as the screen is ghosting pretty bad, figure it's definitely time to dump it.
Szarky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:35 PM   #9
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I think there would be a lot of people who would want the larger real estate of the 5; I don't think the mini form factor is the be all end all for everyone, though it certainly was for me. For me, the larger iPad was a non-starter, but I bought the mini the day it came out.

It's hard to imagine how a retina mini can come in at $329, but it's almost equally hard to imagine Apple moving away from that price point.

Regarding thickness, you know how there's that seemingly unnecessary gap between display and touch sensor? I wonder if that could help ease the difference in thickness required for the larger battery.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:43 PM   #10
marc55
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
My wife uses the mini mostly for reading and playing some games, and we both use the iPad 3 for surfing and games.

They each have their own place in our household, and I imagine many many more households.
marc55 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:40 PM   #11
richpjr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2006
I will be getting one. While the portability of the mini is nice, I mostly prefer a larger screen and am already used to the current size. I currently have a 3 and will likely go the 5 - it will be nice to not need 2 different connectors for my iPhone and iPad.
richpjr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:04 PM   #12
Amplelink
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
There's a market for the bigger iPad for sure, particularly in sales and other contexts where a nice big screen is a prerequisite. But let's be honest - the mini will always outsell its big brother. Partly because of portability and partly because of price.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020
 
Cheffy Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
I'll have one in each flavor
__________________
lotsa "stuff"
Cheffy Dave is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:03 PM   #14
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Just out of interest, surely with the Surface Pro readily available at the iPad 5 launch, there is no reason to buy the iPad?
nickchallis92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:17 PM   #15
B...
macrumors 68000
 
B...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchallis92 View Post
Just out of interest, surely with the Surface Pro readily available at the iPad 5 launch, there is no reason to buy the iPad?
Umm..weight, battery life, design, OS, a cooler ARM processor (or something like that), price.
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:18 PM   #16
Bokes
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
Me. Someone who doesn't need the extra portability of the Mini because we use our iPads 95% of the time at home, on the couch or in bed. Like someone else mentioned, it's not like the Mini fits in your pocket like the Nexus 7 does so it's not THAT much more portable than the full size iPad.

I personally read graphic novels/comics and a lot of websites on my iPad so the extra screen size is a huge help especially since it displays most graphic novels at 1:1 unlike the Mini that shrinks them down and you have to pinch and zoom a lot.
This!
When reading digital comics and magazines- size matters.
The full size ipad is still smaller than the average newstand magazine.
Lighter and thinner will be perfect.
Bokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:30 PM   #17
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a
 
DesertEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: /home @ 127.0.0.1
I might. But it depends on the actual size and weight of either one. The iPad 5 is rumored to be lighter and thinner than the 4, while the iPad mini 2 may get a tad thicker and heavier than its predecessor if it comes with retina display.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:20 AM   #18
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Why no one thought that Ipad 5 will have a bigger screen?

It might come at a 11" or 12" screen size but thinner and use glass front/back like Iphone 4. Same screen ratio so retina would still be pleased to see and use the same apps as previous Ipad.

As for mini, i dont believe all those news saying how well it sell over the fullsized. There is still market for those who prefer 9.7 or even bigger.

For me, if u are already having smartphone with screen sizes these day 4" and above. There is no point carrying around a tablet with 7 or 8 inch screen. Its just too annoying.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:05 AM   #19
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a
 
TheGenerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I'm an Austronaut
My iPad Classic stills work perfectly and has great battery life, but I'll definitely look forward upgrading to retina display + cameras.

The iPad screen is convenient for me to read, and the cameras will be great to "scan" documents or book pages at the library for highlighting.
__________________
I have a cool Alf picture in my profile!
TheGenerous is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:36 AM   #20
RAPTORSKI
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: British Columbia
I have an iPad 2 and I love the screen size, yet I love the form and weight of the mini so it would be truly awesome for Apple to make the iPad 5 look and feel like a mini, but with the retina display. Probably a no brainer at this point.

I might stick with my iPad 2 for another year or two actually, it still does everything I need it to do perfectly.
__________________
rMBP 13" 128GB ; iPad 2nd generation ; 16 GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
RAPTORSKI is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:23 AM   #21
bevsb2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I have an iPad 4 and don't know if I'd upgrade to the 5, but I would definitely go for the 5 over the mini, even with retina, as I prefer the larger screen. I love my iPad 4, but rarely take it out of the house. I keep my Kindle with me for reading if I need to kill time.
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:27 AM   #22
Sophia.
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United Kingdom
I want to upgrade to a iPad five I don't really want a mini but would consider the mini two/three was not impressed with the first one.
Sophia. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:33 PM   #23
AppleRobert
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Why no one thought that Ipad 5 will have a bigger screen?

It might come at a 11" or 12" screen size but thinner and use glass front/back like Iphone 4. Same screen ratio so retina would still be pleased to see and use the same apps as previous Ipad.

As for mini, i dont believe all those news saying how well it sell over the fullsized. There is still market for those who prefer 9.7 or even bigger.

For me, if u are already having smartphone with screen sizes these day 4" and above. There is no point carrying around a tablet with 7 or 8 inch screen. Its just too annoying.
The smartphone gets light duty only for what I would use my 7" tablets for. The smartphone is what is too annoying. My Nexus 7 is even more portable than the Mini.

There is a market for full sized iPads yes, but the Mini killed em EVEN WITHOUT RETINA. So guess what is going to happen when it does get it, especially if it is $329 I do not really care then about any extra weight and size. No brainer for me.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:39 PM   #24
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816
 
Spectrum Abuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Especially if the Mini2 is $329, I would not. I assume it would include an upgrade to the processor as well.

What would be the market for an Ipad5 as you see it?
The consumer who wants a bigger tablet? Did that ever cross your thought? Or did you assume that because you looked at the price of the iPad Mini and decided that cheaper is better everyone else would, too? I'd love to debate more with you because so far I have found it too easy.
__________________
iPad Mini Retina 16GB WiFi - iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T) - 21.5" iMac 2.5Ghz i5 (2011)

Last edited by stridemat; Mar 30, 2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Removed trolling
Spectrum Abuser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 02:18 PM   #25
AppleRobert
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
The consumer who wants a bigger tablet? Did that ever cross your thought? Or did you assume that because you looked at the price of the iPad Mini and decided that cheaper is better everyone else would, too? I'd love to debate more with you because so far you've made it extremely easy for me to stomp on you.
First off, I have an ipad 4 so how did I decide cheaper is better when I returned the Mini? Same for anyone else doing that BUT retina drove the decision more so for most than the larger size. That never crossed your mind? Checkmate 1.

So ask yourself this? Soon the ipad mini 2 will come out more than likely with retina and cheaper than larger iPads as usual. The initial Mini outsold them regardless. Guess what will happen even more? Checkmate 2.

Glad you are not my opponent playing that game. Would be very boring for me, lol.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the iPAD MINI 2 have 'retina' display and A6? Should I wait to buy the mini? saintforlife iPad 71 Jun 26, 2014 07:23 PM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini with retina for $50 off at Best Buy triple-tap iPad 40 Feb 15, 2014 09:21 PM
All iPads: If the iPad 5 has the same resolution (PPI) as iPad Mini Retina, which will you buy? seasurfer iPad 17 Jan 14, 2013 01:33 PM
iPhone/iPad retina screen owners: Will YOU buy the iPad mini? Jacoblee23 iPad 23 Oct 23, 2012 05:31 PM
Would you buy an ipad mini without a retina screen? Che Castro iPad 177 Oct 6, 2012 01:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC