Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
the_wallcrawler
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
TMobile iPhone 5 unlimited/tethering question

Hello. My dad is a Verizon customer and I'm considering switching him to TMobile for the iPhone5. What I would like to do is get him on an unlimited plan and tether an iPad. He does not have an internet connection in his home. He is not technically inclined so I'm trying to stay away from buying a laptop and home internet connection. The thing he would use this set up the most for would be viewing pictures/video I send him and doing video calls - either FaceTime or Skype.

1. Can he tether the iPad? Is there an additional charge?
2. If he can tether, can he take advantage of the unlimited data?
3. If the iPad is tethered, could he make FaceTime calls from it?
the_wallcrawler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:15 AM   #2
lazard
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wallcrawler View Post
Hello. My dad is a Verizon customer and I'm considering switching him to TMobile for the iPhone5. What I would like to do is get him on an unlimited plan and tether an iPad. He does not have an internet connection in his home. He is not technically inclined so I'm trying to stay away from buying a laptop and home internet connection. The thing he would use this set up the most for would be viewing pictures/video I send him and doing video calls - either FaceTime or Skype.

1. Can he tether the iPad? Is there an additional charge?
2. If he can tether, can he take advantage of the unlimited data?
3. If the iPad is tethered, could he make FaceTime calls from it?
Since you're only interested in the unlimited plan:

1. Yes, no additional charge but limited to 500MB.
2. No
3. I assume so.
lazard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:51 AM   #3
CEmajr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
If you choose to get the unlimited data plan you get the option of paying an additional $10 or $20 for 2.5GB or 4.5GB of tethering data. It comes with 500MB of tethering data by default though.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:03 AM   #4
lazard
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
If you choose to get the unlimited data plan you get the option of paying an additional $10 or $20 for 2.5GB or 4.5GB of tethering data. It comes with 500MB of tethering data by default though.

where are you getting your info? Go look on T-Mobile's website. It's 500MB of tethering no matter which upgrade you get.
lazard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:11 AM   #5
CEmajr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazard View Post
where are you getting your info? Go look on T-Mobile's website. It's 500MB of tethering no matter which upgrade you get.
The 500MB is included with all plans yes but if you have the $70 plan with unlimited data you have the option to add those two options for more tethering data. Info comes directly from Tmobile I work at one of their stores.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Diode
macrumors 68020
 
Diode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazard View Post
where are you getting your info? Go look on T-Mobile's website. It's 500MB of tethering no matter which upgrade you get.
All plans include a base of 500mb of tethering.

The base $50 plan includes 500mb of 4G, unlimited text and minutes. The 500mb could also be used for tethering if one wishes.

From this you add on your options - unlimited data for an extra $20 or more data for $10/ per 2GB. Adding the data to the unlimited plan allows more tethering.
__________________
16GB iPhone 4; 2.4 GHZ C2D iMac 4GB Ram; 32GB iPad2; AppleTV2
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:35 AM   #7
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wallcrawler View Post
Hello. My dad is a Verizon customer and I'm considering switching him to TMobile for the iPhone5. What I would like to do is get him on an unlimited plan and tether an iPad. He does not have an internet connection in his home. He is not technically inclined so I'm trying to stay away from buying a laptop and home internet connection. The thing he would use this set up the most for would be viewing pictures/video I send him and doing video calls - either FaceTime or Skype.

1. Can he tether the iPad? Is there an additional charge?
2. If he can tether, can he take advantage of the unlimited data?
3. If the iPad is tethered, could he make FaceTime calls from it?
Better off. Getting a data only sim from tmobile and put in the iPad
osofast240sx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:41 PM   #8
the_wallcrawler
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like tethering is out. I don't think he could get by on those limited data amounts if the plan is mostly to use video services like Skype or FaceTime. He'd blow through those limits in no time.
the_wallcrawler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:43 PM   #9
zorinlynx
macrumors 68000
 
zorinlynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida, USA
Anyone know if the tethering just stops when you hit 500MB, or does the speed just get reduced like hitting the cap from the phone itself?
__________________
Old-school Apple ][ expert! Ask me if you have a ][ question!
Apple user 1983-1992, 2003-Present -- Linux user 1995-Present
Windows-free since 2003! Though I still have to deal with it at work.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:50 PM   #10
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Anyone know if the tethering just stops when you hit 500MB, or does the speed just get reduced like hitting the cap from the phone itself?
So far my teathering has been unlimited.
osofast240sx is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC